FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Wallace18"s MK4 Build Thread

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your welcome. Yes I am going to go get another MK4 kit in a few weeks and build a 427/ TKO600 combo with a friend for him and his wife. here is their build thread. You can see from this pic how open the engine area is. The engine sits behind the 4" round tube in the front and in the back is the rear trans. mount.

MK436.JPG

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-build-thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I am about 97% done now. I was able to drive it around our private subdivision some. I really love the Breeze quiet side pipes. They have a good sound but at cruising you can easy talk and here the radio. My Type 65 was so much louder than this. The insulation I used really keeps the heat out of the cockpit except when stopped for long times with the engine running. As soon as I cut the A/C on even with the top off it is comfortable even sitting still. I have not noticed any exhaust smell at all except in a enclosed garage, etc. Overall I am totally pleased with the build and hope to have it tagged and titled by the 30th. Here are some pics.

IMG_0805.JPGIMG_0807.JPGIMG_0809.JPGIMG_0813.JPGIMG_0814.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Impressive build in both quality and time...... You make it look too damn easy!!!

Mac

Post Thanks / Like
    I just installed 2-80# struts for my trunk from McMaster Carr on my MK4. It now stays open like it should. Not sure why the 60# units that came from Replicaparts did not hold it open. I am just glad to have it working like it should now.

IMG_0824.JPGIMG_0825.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Got some good news today. My MK4 is now insured and my inspection date is Monday at 10:00 AM the 27th. I will be able to enjoy this car on the road legally next week, Woo- Hoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Did some work on a few small problems. I installed heat isolators on the carbs for better hot starting. Also installed a idle solenoid for good idle with A/C on and good shut off characteristics. I also got rid of the progressive linkage on the carbs. On advice from a good friend familiar with dual quads they now open together. Throttle response and drivability much better. He swears the gas mileage is better this way also. Time will tell. I also installed convex mirrors from NAPA. I can see much better around car now. I really like that I did not bring the stripes across the dash. No glare in the windshield. I will drive it to Ocala on Monday for tag and title. About 45 miles one way. Should be a good shake down run.

IMG_0830.JPGIMG_0831.JPGIMG_0832.JPGIMG_0833.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got back from a 120 Mile round trip to Ocala and back. Car is now titled and tagged a 1965 MK4, Woo-Hoo! I still am fighting hot start problems with dual quads. I am swapping out to a FiTech unit FI. Parts should be here by 7/19/16. Live and learn I say. The Dual quads sure look great but IMO F.I. is the way to go with todays gas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Took the wife and I out to breakfast this morning in Gainesville, about 18 miles away from home. At the last minute we decided to put on the soft top. Glad we did. About 5 miles from getting home it poured rain. We did not stop to put in the side windows. We kept fairly dry but did have some drips. Overall very pleased with the car so far. Once the fuel issues are solved it will be great IMO.

Having now built every FFR kit except the GTM, I would say this is the easiest by far to build. I also am surprised that it handles the best of all of them I had so far as well. It is so much fun without the top to drive. Glad I spent the extra money on the quiet pipes as well. I would like to thank FFR, Huegenics, Breeze Automotive, North racecars, Summit, Replicaparts, Herb Fraser, Russ Thompson, Mike Forte, Finish line, My Hot rod friends and Marsha my lovely wife. I could not have built this awesome car without anyone of you all.

IMG_0838.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, 5 months from inventory to thank you completed post. beautiful car, I really like the color and the stripes as well. Great thread as well, with references to the various items and supporting vendors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking build! Congrats
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Time for the 500 mile service. I changed oil and filter. Torqued all bolts and checked fluids. All has gone well except the fuel system. Dual quads sure are cool to look at but a PITA to live with. I decided to go with FITech FI system. Today I installed the fuel tank submersible pump, fuel filter, pressure and return fuel lines. Of course I first removed my carb fuel line and external electric fuel pump and filter. Then I removed the carbs and intake. I installed the new intake, V/C's and PCV valve. Tomorrow I hope to have 95% done and send off the side pipe to have the O2 sensor bung TIG welded in place. Hope to have it running by Friday if all goes well. If anyone is interested I will make a deal on my SBF intake and carbs.

IMG_1036.JPGIMG_1037.JPGIMG_1035.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished up the swap to FITech FI. Wow! what a difference. Car starts with just a turn of the key hot or cold. Shuts off without dieseling. Idle stays right at 925 A/C on or off. Do not be fooled by the screen shot. That is 1000 rpm not 9000. Not sure why it came out that way, LOL. I may never put another carb on a build again. Super easy install and programming. Learns the engine very quickly. I highly recommend it to anyone.

IMG_1039.JPGIMG_1040.JPGIMG_1041.JPGIMG_1038.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Tom, any thoughts on how the power output might change with the FI addition? Up Down, the same? You had posted some time ago that the 347 had dyno results of 430.6 ft./lbs. of torque at 3800 RPM. 411.7 HP at 5700 RPM with a 600 CFM carb. I'm just curious of your opinion, though the key is how great it runs hot or cold. Nice work as usual!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom:

Your idle should not be that high once the engine "settles down". It should be at about 650 with a manual transmission, and about 750 with an automatic, when set up for street use. The computer should only take about 30 to 60 seconds from a cold start to bring down the idle to normal. If you're not achieving this, your EFI system needs further tweaking. This could be done by simply setting the idle screw, or making the proper entries on the handheld unit.

Carlos
    FFR Coupe #0635; Ford 347ci, Tremec TKO500, 8.8 rear end w/ 3.27:1 gears, Cobra/SVO brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos C View Post
    Tom:

Your idle should not be that high once the engine "settles down". It should be at about 650 with a manual transmission, and about 750 with an automatic, when set up for street use. The computer should only take about 30 to 60 seconds from a cold start to bring down the idle to normal. If you're not achieving this, your EFI system needs further tweaking. This could be done by simply setting the idle screw, or making the proper entries on the handheld unit.

Carlos
    Carlos that is just a screen shot I took. With my cam the engine does need a 925 idle speed. I am good. Thanks for your concern.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HappiestDays View Post
    Hey Tom, any thoughts on how the power output might change with the FI addition? Up Down, the same? You had posted some time ago that the 347 had dyno results of 430.6 ft./lbs. of torque at 3800 RPM. 411.7 HP at 5700 RPM with a 600 CFM carb. I'm just curious of your opinion, though the key is how great it runs hot or cold. Nice work as usual!
    IMO it is better every where in the range.

Post Thanks / Like
    While I am busy trying to finish up 2 customer cars I do get to go to car shows on Saturdays. I was blessed to win 1st place, Best Paint and Top20 in the last 3 car shows. I really enjoy talking with folks about the car more than getting trophy's. But it is nice to be recognized by others in the car world.

IMG_1189.JPGIMG_1204.JPGIMG_1196.JPG
    IMG_1205.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Im speech less congrats ��

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    While I am busy trying to finish up 2 customer cars I do get to go to car shows on Saturdays. I was blessed to win 1st place, Best Paint and Top20 in the last 3 car shows. I really enjoy talking with folks about the car more than getting trophy's. But it is nice to be recognized by others in the car world.
    Tom:

Speaking of car shows, are you planning to go to the Emerald Cruizin' Show in Panama City in a couple of weeks?

Carlos
    FFR Coupe #0635; Ford 347ci, Tremec TKO500, 8.8 rear end w/ 3.27:1 gears, Cobra/SVO brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos C View Post
    Tom:

Speaking of car shows, are you planning to go to the Emerald Cruizin' Show in Panama City in a couple of weeks?

Carlos
    I would like to, but i have some other obligations i must attend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I had a bit of bad luck last few weeks. On 11/4/16 i was coming home from a friends home about 6 miles from my home. I was driving just normal when at first I thought I heard a exhaust leak. As I got closer to home it got much louder and more metallic in sound. Really sounded like a rod knock. I had good 50 psi of oil pressure and temp was 180. I was able to limp it home and shorting out 1 cylinder at a time I found it was coming from #1 the loudest. I pulled the V/C to check valve train. All was good. Drained oils and cut open oil filter no metal at all, nice and clean. I contacted Blue Print Warranty department. They had me do a few diagnosis type things and then told me to ship the engine back to them on their dime. They said they would fix it right for me. Even though it was a pain to remove the engine. It was running so great! The folks at Blue Print were very nice and willing to help. I just put it on the freight truck and hope to hear something next week or so. I really do not know what went wrong, very strange IMO. To top it off I fell and really hurt my tail bone. I am OK but really sore, OUCH!
    Last edited by wallace18; 01-09-2017 at 06:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, sorry to hear of the difficulties with your fall and your engine. I Hope both are on the mend quickly!

Well I had a bit of bad luck last few weeks. On 11/4/16 i was coming home from a friends home about 6 miles from my home. I was driving just normal when at first I thought I heard a exhaust leak. As I got closer to home it got much louder and more metallic in sound. Really sounded like a rod knock. I had good 50 psi of oil pressure and temp was 180. I was able to limp it home and shorting out 1 cylinder at a time I found it was coming from #1 the loudest. I pulled the V/C to check valve train. All was good. Drained oils and cut open oil filter no metal at all, nice and clean. I contacted Blue Print Warranty department. They had me do a few diagnosis type things and then told me to ship the engine back to them on their dime. They said they would fix it right for me. Even though it was a paint to remove the engine. It was running so great! The folks at Blue Print were very nice and willing to help. I just put it on the freight truck and hope to hear something next week or so. I really do not know what went wrong, very strange IMO. To top it off I fell and really hurt my tail bone. I am OK but really sore, OUCH!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HappiestDays View Post
    Tom, sorry to hear of the difficulties with your fall and your engine. I Hope both are on the mend quickly!
    Thanks. I am back to normal now. Still have not heard back from Blue Print.I am working on my customers 818E now to keep me busy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom-

Sorry about your engine troubles and your fall! Glad you are OK, and hoping your engine ends up the same way!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,
    The engine gremlins seem to be following you around with this build. Now I'm a little nervous myself. I got the Blueprint 306 with Al heads last July and it is all dressed up and sitting in my garage waiting to be installed into my kit. My build progress slowed down due to a problem with one of my hips that progressively got worse until I had artificial hip replacement surgery last month. I'm doing great and can't wait to get back to the car project but it is very hard to be patient and just let things heal. Sorry to hear about your injury too.
    I hope Blueprint comes through for you and will keep checking back to see what went wrong. Hopefully it is some thing that was just a fluke problem.
    John S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jwsnake56 View Post
    Tom,
    The engine gremlins seem to be following you around with this build. Now I'm a little nervous myself. I got the Blueprint 306 with Al heads last July and it is all dressed up and sitting in my garage waiting to be installed into my kit. My build progress slowed down due to a problem with one of my hips that progressively got worse until I had artificial hip replacement surgery last month. I'm doing great and can't wait to get back to the car project but it is very hard to be patient and just let things heal. Sorry to hear about your injury too.
    I hope Blueprint comes through for you and will keep checking back to see what went wrong. Hopefully it is some thing that was just a fluke problem.
    John S.
    Blueprint called Monday this week to tell me that they took apart the engine and found nothing wrong. They ran it on the dyno for 3 hours and found no problems. Very strange. They are going to take it apart one more time and check everything again. then ship it back. Very strange.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well BluePrint is shipping my engine out to me, but due to bad weather I won't have it till Dec. 27th. I was really hopeing for it to come early this week so I could take my son in law for a ride. Oh well! I hope it is fixed properly. I can tell you I will for sure give it a good run when I put it back in.

Post Thanks / Like
    What started out as bad news turned into good news. I checked my tracking # for my engine this morning and it came up that it was going to be delayed till Dec. 30th. About 2:00 P.M. today Yellow freight called and I am getting my engine tomorrow after lunch. Iam going to try to get it in and running by Friday so my Son in Law can take it for a spin on Christmas. Woo Hoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    What started out as bad news turned into good news. I checked my tracking # for my engine this morning and it came up that it was going to be delayed till Dec. 30th. About 2:00 P.M. today Yellow freight called and I am getting my engine tomorrow after lunch. Iam going to try to get it in and running by Friday so my Son in Law can take it for a spin on Christmas. Woo Hoo!
    I'm looking at Blueprint for my power plant and after reviewing their package options, I'm wondering what the advantage is to ordering the Tremec with the engine from them. It seems like the price is a bit high, but does that include a bunch of other parts that are needed if you were to buy the trans elsewhere?
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I'm looking at Blueprint for my power plant and after reviewing their package options, I'm wondering what the advantage is to ordering the Tremec with the engine from them. It seems like the price is a bit high, but does that include a bunch of other parts that are needed if you were to buy the trans elsewhere?
    They are a good option. Give Mike Forte a shot at what you need. He may surprise you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Hi Papa,

Besides the engine and tranny coming completely assembled and ready to install, the following parts are included if you buy the engine/transmission from BluePrint...
    Mcleod Super Street Pro single disk clutch
    Aluminum Bell Housing
    Tremec HD Yoke
    Flywheel “pro-comp”
    VSS Harness
    Reverse light harness
    Pilot bushing
    Clutch kit bolts
    Bell housing to block bolt kit
    Engine guard
    Tuff Stuff starter
    Flywheel bolts
    (Engine guard or pivot ball not included )

Here's a link to the 306 Carbed version if you would like to look it over yourself...
    http://factoryfiveengines.com/bluepr...306-carbureted
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Christmas came early the engine showed up yesterday at 3PM. I was able to get it ready to go in last night about 7PM. Got it running today at 3PM. Engine runs great and no problems.

IMG_1387.JPGIMG_1389.JPGIMG_1390.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama-Bro View Post
    Hi Papa,

Besides the engine and tranny coming completely assembled and ready to install, the following parts are included if you buy the engine/transmission from BluePrint...
    Mcleod Super Street Pro single disk clutch
    Aluminum Bell Housing
    Tremec HD Yoke
    Flywheel “pro-comp”
    VSS Harness
    Reverse light harness
    Pilot bushing
    Clutch kit bolts
    Bell housing to block bolt kit
    Engine guard
    Tuff Stuff starter
    Flywheel bolts
    (Engine guard or pivot ball not included )

Here's a link to the 306 Carbed version if you would like to look it over yourself...
    http://factoryfiveengines.com/bluepr...306-carbureted
    That's what I was looking for. Blueprint is only a few hours away in Kearny, NE., and my daughter is moving to Omaha next year. I could pick up a complete setup on my way home! I was considering the 347 FI with PS and TKO-600.

Thanks for the information,
    Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 12-23-2016 at 06:01 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations Tom. I know that is a real relief. Merry Christmas, Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom-

That's great news! Glad you are able to drop in the engine in time to take the son-in-law for a spin.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. BluePrint was very good about fixing the engine. I actually made 5 more HP on the dyno this time. It is nice to know they stand behind their work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,
    You amaze me with how fast you get the job done. Have you driven the car with the engine? How did it run? Did they give any explanation for the trouble? Last I heard the had told you they could not find a problem.
    It will be a few more months before I am ready for first startup on my 306.
    John S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jwsnake56 View Post
    Tom,
    You amaze me with how fast you get the job done. Have you driven the car with the engine? How did it run? Did they give any explanation for the trouble? Last I heard the had told you they could not find a problem.
    It will be a few more months before I am ready for first startup on my 306.
    John S.
    The engine runs perfect. No explanation was given but I am pretty sure they replaced at least my crankshaft. It came back without the pilot bearing in it. Not sure why they would have removed that if they did not replace my crankshaft. Personally I am just happy that it is fixed and runs perfect. It even dynoed 5hp more this go round. 416HP. I am overall very pleased and would buy another BluePrint engine in the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is an update on my MK4. I now have 1600 miles on it and today I did a oil and filter change. All is well with my Blueprint 347. I am very happy with it, no problems at all. Saturday I went to a car show in Bellview Fl. It was put on by the Antique Automobile Club. Mostly went to have some fun meet folks and have a great ride on a beautiful day. I was fortunate to win another trophy with this car. I also met a couple guys from Canada of all places and one young man who had on a FFR T-Shirt. He is dreaming of building a MK4 or GTM. I told him to wet his feet with a MK4 first, LOL. Here is a pic of the car and one of the coolest air cleaners I ever saw on a street rod.

IMG_1633.JPGIMG_1632.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    This car is now for sale. check out the for sale forum.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...6-by-Wallace18

Sold!
    Last edited by wallace18; 11-18-2017 at 11:22 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast