Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Run Flats on the 818?

Post Thanks / Like

Run Flats on the 818?

I drive my 818 a lot (including yesterday to the office, without windows, with morning temps at 15 degrees).

There's no room for a spare tire, so I was thinking of putting on run flats for everyday use (right now, i keep a can of fix-a-flat with me), and swapping to something sportier when I go autocrossing.

However, I have never had run flats on any vehicle, so I thought I'd check to see if anyone here had recommendations. I imagine ride harshness will increase, but that doesn't bother me much. Performance would likely suffer too, but I'm looking for something for around town and to the office sort of stuff, so driving will be pretty tame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My advice is to avoid them altogether. I would imagine that the super stiff sidewall on RFT's would ride absolutely terribly on a car as light as the 818. I just ditched the OEM runflats on my wife's 135i when the first set wore out and went with a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports. When the car was in for service at the dealer the service manager tried to sell me a new set of the OEM RFT tires; He tried to talk me out of my plan until I asked him what comes on a new M3? Pilot Super Sports and an inflation kit... He shut up at that point and I placed my order from Tire Rack.
    Compared to the Dunlop RFT's they are less expensive, ride better and handle MUCH better. I got an inflation kit to keep in the trunk and a space save spare with a cover for road trips. That an a AAA card is a much better solution than RFT's IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have AAA, and carry a space saver in the passenger seat if I travel far from home. Run flats seem like good insurance to avoid the hassle of a flat around town, but you make a good case for avoiding them. Thanks for the feedback.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Skyline View Post
    He tried to talk me out of my plan until I asked him what comes on a new M3? Pilot Super Sports and an inflation kit...
    I have heard of fix a flat and the motorcycle type CO2 inflator, What type device are you referring to for the fat tires on the 818?

Post Thanks / Like
    Tire worm plugs/kit, and a battery powered compressor.
    Viair makes nice ones if you autox and use it frequently. Otherwise, whatever your local big-box has.

Note: Viair may pop Cig lighter fuses- connect it directly to the battery.
    -Andrew

Building 818S/R #297 with Tamra
    08 Mazdaspeed3 | '12 F800R | '97 Miata

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC7492 View Post
    I have heard of fix a flat and the motorcycle type CO2 inflator, What type device are you referring to for the fat tires on the 818?
    It's a compact 12V compressor and sealant; some kits include plugs/patches as well. You can use it like a can of fix a flat, or just as a compressor if you don't want to use the goop. Here are a couple:

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=38

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-70005-Sa...-Minute-Repair

Kits like these come on a lot of performance cars without a spare tire instead of fitting RFTs.

Post Thanks / Like
    My '14 ctsv has an inflator with a slime function. Truthfully, unless you have a total blowout, if you notice a tire going low, you should be able to fix it with a decent plug kit at a gas station if you're away from home.

Post Thanks / Like
    I custom built/welded a spare tire carrier in the rear of my 818S - over the trans. to the left side. I am using the Subie donut spare and have the tire removal tools and jack mounted under the front hood. This mod does require routing the exhaust down and to the right (not straight out the bumper), and makes using the FFR optional trunk kit impossible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoretta View Post
    I custom built/welded a spare tire carrier in the rear of my 818S - over the trans. to the left side.
    I was thinking of doing something similar at one time. Could you post a picture, when you have a moment?