BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Chassis Set - Up

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spytech View Post
    Yeah I had to use a clamp on the sleeve and a lot of elbow grease (while pinching the spring at the same time) to get that last turn out of the collar on the pass rear coil.

Longer rear shocks, is that the answer? A slightly shorter spring at a slightly heavier rate?
    Unless your shock is bottomed(extended all the way, or nearly all the way) then this wouldn't be a factor in adjusting your rear ride height.

You should go to a heavier spring that is the SAME length. This will mean that with the collars in the same position, the vehicle will ride higher because the "rate" (lbs per inch of compression) is higher. Conversely, the spring will compress less to give the same height distance at the frame, and you should be able to make your adjustments without using a spring compressor.

As witnessed on the FFR PDG GTM, the higher rear spring rate may also be beneficial to the GTMs performance. Just don't go too much or the ride will get rough. For fine tuning I usually change by no more than 50 lbs in spring rating, but it really depends upon the situation and the lever ratio of the suspension system.

Probably the best thing to do is to let Ted and Ron figure out what they think works best on a street GTM and use them for a "benchmark".
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the responses guys. I technically did not use an actual spanner wrench. I had a long handled allen that fit in that I used to get the last turn out of the thing, close enough I guess though? I appreciate the education on how the spring rates, etc would affect things.

I've been contemplating the change to 800# rear springs for a while so I might be doing that sooner than later now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you guys put a sand bag in the driver's seat, to account for the weight of a driver?

Post Thanks / Like
    It all depends. If you know what setup you want and has been proven to work on the track, it is an easy enough process to measure what those numbers are without the driver, and then set the car up to those numbers...assuming the drivers weight doesn't change much.

Generally speaking though, especially for an initial setup when you are just trying to get a baseline, the car is usually measured and setup with the driver in the car. Requires more people to do this, but is much more accurate. If you are in a pinch, the sand bag thing, or anything else of weight to compensate, works, but is not ideal.

Again, for a street car, it is highly unlikely you will even notice the difference between a real body and sand bags, so it should work just fine.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump! This is an important thread that needs to be kept in view for everyone to read at least a couple of times.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LS MAN View Post
    Here is a video on using HP Tuners - scanner.

Ted and Ron,
    I really eager to see some tuning. Any ideal when you Guys will be able to continue educating us? Thanks.
    Last edited by VD2021; 09-20-2011 at 07:30 PM.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Vidal,
    Ron is working on his new engine, should have it running soon.
    We will get back to some engine & chassis tuning then.

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump! Any new updates on Suspension Tuning?
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I got to ride in Ron's Car today. (he did not get it sideways!) I am VERY impressed at how nice it rides. I fully expected it to be harsh and jarring, not even. He and Ted showed me all the components and part and talked about what they are doing and where they are going. They are all over this, I got more information than I can remember! I am lucky enough to be close to them and will be leaning on them as I build mine. Then, as a bonus, a very nice Daytona Coupe showed up! I then learned about assembly tips as this is an extreamly clean build and he was very gracious to patiently answer all my questions and show me whatever I asked about. Ted and Ron are great guys and the stuff they create is excellent!
    GTM #253 In Process

Post Thanks / Like
    We have been testing one of our new shock packages from Genesis Shocks.
    These are really high quality racing shocks with advanced features.
    Really happy with the results.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LS MAN; 02-04-2012 at 12:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have been testing one of our new shock packages from Genesis Shocks.
    These are really high quality racing shocks with advanced features.
    Really happy with the results.
    I'm looking forward to hearing more about this.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I am very impressed with these shocks.

The adjustable models feature an indicator to show the setting, no more "counting sweeps"
    They have a unique spring hat, it installs at an angle, then locks onto the shaft.
    The shock body & spring adjusters have a small groove, just slip in a small tie wrap to lock the adjuster, no set screws to damage the threads.

Genesiscompressionadj-1.jpgIMG_4955.jpgIMG_4958.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, what model of shock are you guys running? Is it the GB3?

I am very impressed with these shocks.

The adjustable models feature an indicator to show the setting, no more "counting sweeps"
    They have a unique spring hat, it installs at an angle, then locks onto the shaft.
    The shock body & spring adjusters have a small groove, just slip in a small tie wrap to lock the adjuster, no set screws to damage the threads.

Genesiscompressionadj-1.jpgIMG_4955.jpgIMG_4958.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks David,

It was a pleasure meeting you. I can remember the learning curve when I first started my GTM endeavor. I still have the old LS6 tune in my PCM. I have lost a lot of power. That's next on my things to do list.

Don is a skilled craftsmen and it shows on his Daytona coupe.

Welcome to the family, Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rev2xs View Post
    Cool, what model of shock are you guys running? Is it the GB3?
    Hi Revxs,

They are custom valved and so far I am very impressed. That's one of the things about Ted he gets it right the first time. Lots of homework and testing.

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ron:
    Frank said that he got a ride in your car and it was awesome. He also said you wouldn't turn the heater on for him and he almost froze. He didn't know you could ride in a GTM at less than 140 degrees. Next time he'll bring a coat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ron,

I'm just asking out of curiosity, would you recommend these shocks for street use as a possible replacement for the black Koni's people are having so many issues with?

Thanks, Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Ron565 View Post
    Hi Revxs,

They are custom valved and so far I am very impressed. That's one of the things about Ted he gets it right the first time. Lots of homework and testing.

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rev2xs View Post
    Hi Ron,

I'm just asking out of curiosity, would you recommend these shocks for street use as a possible replacement for the black Koni's people are having so many issues with?

Thanks, Tom
    Hey Tom, these shocks are tuned specifically for the GTM. They solve all the issues caused by the Koni's (black or yellow).
    Along with the sway bar & spring package, they provide excellent handling, ride quality, & street/track performance. We will offer 3 different shock packages, to meet different budgets, chassis/tire combinations. We will have more info by next week.

Another note, we have Ron's car set with stock Gen1 caster, about 2 deg, so don't assume that just adding caster will make theses cars stable by itself, our experience is that it won't.

Thanks,
    Last edited by LS MAN; 02-07-2012 at 06:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another note, we have Ron's car set with stock Gen1 caster, about 2 deg, so don't assume that just adding caster will make theses cars stable by itself, our experience is that it won't.

Thanks,
    Great point Ted! Thank you. That was one of the things that I've been curious about as well.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently drove my car for the first time and before doing so I did a quick alignment. I noticed when I set the caster that the passenger side at the limit of the adjustment was about 2 deg. less than the drivers side. On the rear at ride hight the closest to zero camber I could get was neg. 1.5 deg. and almost neg. 2 deg. by going up to 6.5 in. ride hight I was able to get it to zero. I have had to correct alot of things on my car so far, the radiator tabs were reversed the upper shock mounts had to be moved back the trans suport bracket was more thant 2 in. out alignment. Is this a comon problem with the GTM's rear suspension? If so is there an easy fix?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ted, Ron,

Its awsome that Ron's GTM is up and you Guys are doing more develpoment. I'm also eager to see the HP Tuner tuning as well. Keep up the Outstanding work.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny you should mention that. I had a tune done a long time ago by another local shop before Ted had HP tuner. The guy locked out my PCM so I had to send it to SpareECM.com. They have special software to get in and unlock it so Ted I can retune for the larger displacement engine. We will post the tuning process.

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7500 View Post
    Hi Ron:
    Frank said that he got a ride in your car and it was awesome. He also said you wouldn't turn the heater on for him and he almost froze. He didn't know you could ride in a GTM at less than 140 degrees. Next time he'll bring a coat.
    Hi Steve,

Tell Frank I'm real sorry not getting back to you. No excuses I just spaced it out.

It's really easy to do, especially after the fact. I bought some Keep It Cool 5/8 " jute matting that has an aluminum reflective barrier on one side.
    I slid it between the coolant hoses and the rest of the crap that's in the back bone. I just isolated the coolant lines and used some aluminum tape on both sides to hold it in place and to keep hot air from escaping into the tunnel. I left it open somewhat in the front of the tunnel so air could go through the tunnel and escape through the engine compartment. I also bent a 3/4" lip on the belly skin at the seam so it would help move air through the tunnel.

TTYL, Ron
    Last edited by Ron565; 02-11-2012 at 11:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, any news on the shocks?
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Hugo, we have 2 more sets of shocks coming in tomorrow.
    Should have them tested next week, will post the info then.
    We will have 3 different options available when we have completed testing.

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ted.

Looking forward to hearing about that as well. Waiting on the shock purchase before I start rebuilding the front and rear control arms and adding the front sway bar kit.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Bringing this up for those that may have some set-up questions - check out the videos for some tips.
    Last edited by LS MAN; 03-22-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump! This is an important thread that needs to be kept in view for everyone to read at least a couple of times.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    This is some very good information. Keep up the good work! I am definitely adding your sway bar kit and genesis shocks with coil overs to my parts list.

P

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VD2021 View Post

Ted and Ron,
    I really eager to see some tuning. Any ideal when you Guys will be able to continue educating us? Thanks.
    Hey Vidal,
    Ron is working on his new engine, should have it running soon.
    We will get back to some engine & chassis tuning then.

Thanks,
    Ted,
    Any chance you can do a MAF tune/calibration video? Preferably without a wide band and dyno. Thanks.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bump
    Quote Originally Posted by VD2021 View Post
    Ted,
    Any chance you can do a MAF tune/calibration video? Preferably without a wide band and dyno. Thanks.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump, it has been a couple years since this thread was posted. To my knowledge it contains the most precise suspension info on the forum, but I am curious if anything posted in the past two years would add to this great info? Thanks to LS MAN, looks like the shocks are still available? Any feedback from customers? It is almost time to get back on the road and track

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump! Lot's of great information in this thread.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    So this is my first time stumbling across this thread and thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it. Lots of insight on how to set the GTM up for a baseline, and more importantly to me, how to do it myself without having to pay someone to put it on a rack.

My kit should arrive in about 4-6 weeks and I can't wait to dig in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear it.

Plenty of help here when you get to the tuning part

The GTM is a racecar that you can register. If you plan on driving it on the street at legal speeds very basic setup and you are good to go.

If you are planning on breaking the sound barrier let us know and the forum will provide the setup you need.

I'm excited for you. This build is so much fun.

Keep us up to date on progress.

John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234