FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Half Mile Event November 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Half Mile Event November 2015

Haven't had time to post on the forum lately. Got a little time this morning so here it goes. This past November there was a half mile event. Took the GTM to see how it compared to the previous event I had gone to. On the first event I went the car didn't have the engine upgrades it now has. On that event I ran 142 MPH. With the upgrades I was hoping to be somewhere around 150-153 MPH.

Here is how it went. On my first and only run (more on that later) I decided not to launch the car too hard, that way it wouldn't spin the tires to much. I shifted gears pretty conservative. I just wanted to make sure the car felt stable enough at high speed on that first run before going all out. It had been more than a year after the 142MPH run so, I wanted to be sure I had no mechanical issues whatsoever. After I finished my run I stopped at the tent where they hand out the slips with the run results. To my surprise I ran 161MPH. I was really excited after reading the results.

Two close friends that own a new Porsche GT3 and a 2015 C7 Z06 Corvette where at each other before our respective runs. they were arguing who of them would be faster. The GTM wasn't part of their argument as they assumed they would both be faster than me given my 142MPH run on the previous event. They both queued before me so they had just run when I arrived. Knowing my 161MPH was a solid number, I approach them with confidence. They were both discussing their speeds and which of them had won and why. You know the usual I missed a shift, I launched to hard etc. The Corvette ran 149MPH on that run (ended the day with a best 150.4MPH) the GT3 ran 147MPH (ended the day with 149MPH) After listening to them for a short while I stood between them put one arms over the shoulders of each of them and said "stop arguing my sons, I just ran 161MPH" I guess it is now clear that the "Homemade" (as they lovingly refer to the GTM from time to time) is faster than your factory cars.

With that stetted I decided to go look the other cars that were running and parked while the queue got shorter. After a few hours I decided to do another run. To my surprise the battery on my car was DEAD!!! In my excitement I got out of the car and forgot to turn off the ISIS screen. It completely drained my battery. Spent an hour trying to find jumper cables and another 40 minutes charging it. I used a friends Ford Explorer to charge it. The ISIS system wouldn't just jump start the car. It need a certain amount of voltage on the battery for it to work. Well you live and learn I guess. By the time I was able to start the car I had to go to work so dint have enough time to do the line again for another run. All in all I left as a very happy camper that day.

Video
    https://youtu.be/4sYuWk-jRM8

The GTM looks so small compared to a Camaro.

Last edited by Kempo; 01-25-2016 at 10:43 AM.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!

So it sounds like you were one of the fastest cars there?

We would love to be able to get to 160 MPH. We are at least 10 MPH off with a crate 525 and lots of down force on a shorter straight away track. What are you running for HP?
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    How was the handling at 160?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    Congrats!

So it sounds like you were one of the fastest cars there?

We would love to be able to get to 160 MPH. We are at least 10 MPH off with a crate 525 and lots of down force on a shorter straight away track. What are you running for HP?
    My speed was fast but there were a bunch of other cars ahead of me. Most of the GTRs were on their own league. The fastest speed of the day was a Lamborghini with an UGR kit. It ran 221MPH. I did rank at the top between the USDM RWD cars.

My car has 550WHP and 500TQ at the wheels. I will post the full results at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by flotowngtm View Post
    How was the handling at 160?
    The car felt really planted on the road. To be honest felt not different than say 120MPH.

GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)