Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 Under Seat Aluminum fit

Post Thanks / Like

818 Under Seat Aluminum fit

Please see this thread for a question regarding design & fit. Thanks
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-size-question

Post Thanks / Like
    There are at least a couple people looking for support on this subject, please respond in some way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing, eh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried calling them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine was also longer on one side then the other. Just how it is I guess. I moved mine forward to cover the front holes and left the back open for venting of fuel if needed. I riveted my panel into the (floor steel foot panel) so it would hold better. You can see my seam in this link( http://redfogo.com/index.php/floor/) and can tell it sticks out a little. The other side did not.

It all gets covered by the side panels in the end so it didn't bug me enough. I am planning to add more floor pictures when I reinstall the floor. I had to take it back off because I had to weld in the seat belt mounts. I may cover the front gas thank holes depending on if I end up using carpet or not. I'm still trying to plan that part out.
    Last edited by redfogo; 02-05-2016 at 02:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    No, I have not. This is best answered directly by FFR (here, for all), as I'm not the only one asking.
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Have you tried calling them?
    Thanks for the info. I'm still pondering & hoping that FFR will reply, but I want to finish the fit/install too. My biggest issue with the overlap (I would only do the front like you) is the hanging/leading edge, and/or having to rivet to the distorted steel panels. If the steel holes are to be covered, I would/will do it from the inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by redfogo View Post
    Mine was also longer on one side then the other. Just how it is I guess. I moved mine forward to cover the front holes and left the back open for venting of fuel if needed. I riveted my panel into the (floor steel foot panel) so it would hold better. You can see my seam in this link( http://redfogo.com/index.php/floor/) and can tell it sticks out a little. The other side did not.

It all gets covered by the side panels in the end so it didn't bug me enough. I am planning to add more floor pictures when I reinstall the floor. I had to take it back off because I had to weld in the seat belt mounts. I may cover the front gas thank holes depending on if I end up using carpet or not. I'm still trying to plan that part out.
    Last edited by DSR-3; 02-05-2016 at 03:59 PM.

Tech Support, FFR Courtnie Provencher's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey guys. That piece is longer because it needs to cover the front gas tank slots.
    Courtnie Provencher
    Factory Five Tech Sales & Support

Post Thanks / Like
    Courtney, why are the slots there in the first place? Early cars received aluminum floor plates that didn't cover the slots, should we do something about them?
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to understand why the slots were designed in originally as well....and also why they are now to be covered. Many aspects of the kit can vary this way or that, but for something as potentially safety-critical as a fuel tank install, it would be nice to have a little more information. In the mean time, I have drilled mine already, leaving the slots exposed. I also plan to trim my front overlap so that I am not riveting to the steel oil-canned floor.

Does anyone recall a thread where someone said they shrank their steel foor by heating and cooling using a torch and maybe a wet towel? I know I have read where people have done this to shrink body panels.

Courtney, can you find out from the engineer (Jim? Jesper?) why slots were designed in and now to be covered over?

Thanks!

-Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    Since there are two current threads, I'll repost so these are both end capped.

Jim has already answered this question. Don't over think it.
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post139814

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not buying that he's talking about the slots, wasn't he explaining the tabs?
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not heard an explanation of what the slots are that areplaced around the entire perimeter of the fuel tank steel floor. I have seen the slots and small square holes that the protruding tab on the aluminum floor covers. Even if the aluminum floor is positioned so that it covers the forward most slots in the steel fuel tank floor, it wont cover the slots that are in the same floor around its sides and along its rearmost edge.

I would like to know why these slots exist in the steel fuel tank floor. I suppose it could be for removing the frame from the welding fixture, but I dont understand why there are so many of them. Maybe Jim or Jesper would drop in and put the question to bed. I am going to send Tony Z. an email also to see if I can get him to ask one of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Ben,

Good to see you this weekend. I just talked with Tony and you are correct, the welding jig is the reason for the slots around the fuel tank floor.

Enjoy your build.

Greg
    Factory Five