FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mk IV Instrument Cluster from Mustang Donor

Post Thanks / Like

Mk IV Instrument Cluster from Mustang Donor

I am using a 2001 Mustang Cobra donor for my Mk IV base kit. I am starting the instrument cluster and the base kit manual doesn't show any pictures or go into detail as to how the gauges are connected. The small pod that attaches to the circuit board would seem to be the part that is attached to the firewall rather than the larger pod that held the instrument cluster. The manual seems to indicate that the larger pod is attached to the firewall but that doesn't seem to make any sense. I'm assuming the odometer wires can be cut and spliced so the tach will include that gauge. Does anyone have experience wiring the gauge lights? Any help would be appreciated. Pictures would be great as well. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi , I have just come across your thread now. I wondering how you got on using a donor vehicle ? I plan on doing the same. Thanks
    Ciarán

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rrisdon View Post
    I am using a 2001 Mustang Cobra donor for my Mk IV base kit. I am starting the instrument cluster and the base kit manual doesn't show any pictures or go into detail as to how the gauges are connected. The small pod that attaches to the circuit board would seem to be the part that is attached to the firewall rather than the larger pod that held the instrument cluster. The manual seems to indicate that the larger pod is attached to the firewall but that doesn't seem to make any sense. I'm assuming the odometer wires can be cut and spliced so the tach will include that gauge. Does anyone have experience wiring the gauge lights? Any help would be appreciated. Pictures would be great as well. Thank you.
    I used a 2004 Mach 1 donor. However, I went with Speedhut gauges, while still using the circuit board from the donor instrument cluster to keep PATS, tap into the warning lights (ABS, TRAC, Theft and ChkEng) for dash-mounted LEDs, and tap into the Voltage and Fuel Level leads. You're right, only the portion of the gauge cluster that contains the circuit board needs to be saved/mounted.

I'm not sure what you're referring to when mentioning the odometer wires and tach. Is that the route to use if you're utilizing the donor gauges as well?

20191021_133903.jpg
    FFR9280RD MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, PS, PB, ABS, TC, CC, PATS, Summit heater, DIY wire diet, RT pedal/trunk/turn signal, FFR LCAs, FFR 3-link, 17x9 FR500s all around, Ford Magnetic Gray with custom Kandy Orange stripes (Ken's Custom Auto Body)