FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: wheel clarification?

Post Thanks / Like

wheel clarification?

I have been reading alot of posts on here and trying to find out what are the biggest rear and front rim I can fit on my 818!

I get that I need to stay at or close to 24" total on the front, I was looking at the 17x8.2 XXR 535 in +35 and in the rear a 18x 9.5 +20 or 18x8.75 +33.

what I cant seem to find out is if a 18x9.5 in a +20 will fit with it not sticking out of the wheel well I would like it to be flush. I can modify the control arms if need be but really dont want to modify the wheel wells.

does anyone know how a 9.5" wheel at +20 will fit?

thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a feeling 9.5" with +20 will rub the fenders. I've got 9.5" +38 with 10mm spacers (so +28) and it is very close to rubbing but just barely fits. Running 255/35/18 out back btw.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    How much room do you have on the inside?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    How much room do you have on the inside?
    I'll check this evening.

Post Thanks / Like
    So as the car sits, I have about an inch of clearance at the shortest distance between the inner rear fender and the tires. As the tire retracts into the fender under normal suspension travel, this clearance would probably reduce to about 1/4". Disclaimer: I have not cycled the suspension to get exact measurements, my ride height and camber are roughly aligned and not final. The sides of my tires stick out past the fenders, here are some pics with a level between the tire and fender:
    IMAG1714.jpgIMAG1715.jpg
    And a shot of the wheel
    IMAG1716.jpg
    Sorry my phone sux at taking low light photos. Based on all of this I'd still say that a 20mm offset on 9.5" rims will probably rub unless you get aggressive with the negative camber and/or raise the ride height to 5".

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thx for the followup.

Post Thanks / Like
    I currently have an 18x8.25 +48 on my car on the rear and found I had to put 25mm of spacers to get the wheel from hitting the lower arm and get it out flush to the fender, So if I play it safe and not do the 9.75 wheel but go with the XXR 535 8.75" wheel in a +20 it should bring me close to where I need to be with almost no spacers. +48 - 25mm spacers should make it +23 which is almost the +20 the wheel comes in. does anyone agree? I just want to get out as flush and wide as possible without spacers or almost no spacers.

Post Thanks / Like
    So if you're flush with 8.25 and +23 (effectively), then when you go wider to 8.75 your offset will need to increase to bring the rim back into the fender, right? Each side of the rim will increase by 0.25 (~6mm), so you'd want your effective offset to be +29, not +20.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpyguy View Post
    I currently have an 18x8.25 +48 on my car on the rear and found I had to put 25mm of spacers to get the wheel from hitting the lower arm and get it out flush to the fender, So if I play it safe and not do the 9.75 wheel but go with the XXR 535 8.75" wheel in a +20 it should bring me close to where I need to be with almost no spacers. +48 - 25mm spacers should make it +23 which is almost the +20 the wheel comes in. does anyone agree? I just want to get out as flush and wide as possible without spacers or almost no spacers.
    In the rear I'm running 17x9 +48 with OEM LTA and 255/40-17 with 15mm spacers at street ride height and stiff springs (600#).
    Works for me.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    In the rear I'm running 17x9 +48 with OEM LTA and 255/40-17 with 15mm spacers at street ride height and stiff springs (600#).
    Works for me.
    Bob
    Are you limiting your up travel still, or am I remembering something different?
    With stock travel, I believe the 255 will just kiss the body on outside and frame brace on the inside at full compression (if perfectly centered).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by matteo92065 View Post
    Are you limiting your up travel still, or am I remembering something different?
    With stock travel, I believe the 255 will just kiss the body on outside and frame brace on the inside at full compression (if perfectly centered).
    Hi Matt, I did modify my shock assembly , so the bump stop comes into play sooner under compression. The big change was the stiffer spring.
    The issue I had was the fender. Never had an issue with the frame brace. I'll have to take a look at that.
    In the picture below 225/45-16 tires are no where near the frame brace.
    Bob
    brace.jpg
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 02-04-2016 at 01:48 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Works for me.
    Bob
    Bob, it's encouraging to hear that you're able to do that on the rear on stock LTA's. Are you running square up front or did you have to go narrower to keep it inside the fenders (and not rub)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulry View Post
    Bob, it's encouraging to hear that you're able to do that on the rear on stock LTA's. Are you running square up front or did you have to go narrower to keep it inside the fenders (and not rub)?
    All four rims 17 x 9 +48

Front 235/40-17 toyo R888 no spacer but 20mm suspension widened each side.
    Rear 255/40-17 Toyo R888 15mm spacer OEM/FFR suspension.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome. Very useful info. Thx Bob.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have 18x9.5 with a 38 offset. I'm getting my tires today (265/18 in back, 235/17 in front)) and will be playing with it on the car tonight. I know it won't fit without spacers. When I get into the garage tonight, I plan on using stacked M12 washers to space the wheel out to where it needs to be and then will order hubcentric spacers in that thickness. I will measure and let you know what offset I ended up at. I think I will probably end up somewhere close to 20.