Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Brake line bending

Post Thanks / Like

Brake line bending

Hey all. I searched for this but didn't find anything. Could someone tell me how the manual reads? It says to make a bend 3 inches from one end of a 60" brake line, etc, etc. Now, does that bend begin at 3" from the end of the brake line? Middle of the bend at 3"?

Also, is there a better way to do this than the way the manual spells it out as far as routing and making it look like it belongs?

Thanks for all the help on this forum!!

Rob
    ~Rob

2002 WRX 158,000 miles purchased June 2014
    Disassembly completed October 2014
    818 kit #339 delivered 11 April 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought new lines and fittings so I could add ABS and not use adapters. Ended up using the manual just as a guideline rather than directions when it came to brake lines.

Lots of good suggestions here: Brake-routing-suggestions-Post-your-pics
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I just started running my lines last night. I have found it is best to run the line the way you want them. I ran my line similar way FFR did, however I also ran lines further away from the engine such as the clutch line. Having it run around the left side of the car and mounted closer to where the drivers side rear break line is, then I plan to run a SS line from the slave to the hard line. I did this so things would be easier to work on in the future. I also rather not have my brake fluid in between the manifold and engine.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bought some copper-nickel brake line, the Eastwood flaring tool, and some M10 metric tube nuts. Used that to make everything myself. That way you can skip all the multiple adapters and things that come in the kit. As for routing, just do whatever looks good to you. The only problem you could possibly run into when doing that is that you run the line in a place where it will be in the way, but if you look at pics of people's builds, you can get a sense for what areas will be clear and what will be open.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just ran it how I wanted. Bought a harbor freight bender and also made my own bender that could do 1/2" radius. Started at one end and made it follow the frame and worked my way around. I also ended up buying new line as the stuff I got wasn't long enough and had more junctions than I wanted.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Also, get some galvanized wire 14 or 16 gauge, cut pieces the same length as the brake lines you plan to use. Then use the wire to mock up where bends need to be.
    818S Chassis #288 2.5L 323hp
    Ordered: 9/19/14 Received Kit: 11/2/14 First Start: 5/31/15 First Drive: 6/7/15 Registered: 3/10/2016 Completed: 2/10/2017
    joshuajach.com

Post Thanks / Like
    All good stuff. Thanks guys. I like the wire idea to mock things up. I'm on it
    ~Rob

2002 WRX 158,000 miles purchased June 2014
    Disassembly completed October 2014
    818 kit #339 delivered 11 April 2015