BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Old Forum YUK!

Post Thanks / Like

Old Forum YUK!

Not liking that new look, and the advertising, holy crap!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bil1024 View Post
    Not liking that new look, and the advertising, holy crap!

Go to your user CP, choose "edit options, scroll down to forum view and choose "classic view".
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, even with the classic view its the pits, when you have something that works why try to fix it.

Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by first time builder View Post
    I agree, even with the classic view its the pits, when you have something that works why try to fix it.

Kenny
    Kenny-

I think the entire redesign is driven by the ads. Well, perhaps a minor amount is driven to enhance the speed and looks. While I think they had a decent platform, I suspect it was stagnant revenue wise. So, to try and generate revenue, this new format allows them to bombard the new site with ads, thus generating incremental revenue. This is one of the differences when you run a board for folks with a common interest, for fellow hobbyists, or myriad other reasons where profit isn't the primary motive, and running a board where profit is the primary motive. I am not saying it is wrong to want to generate a profit, just that it changes behaviors; both the owners and users.

At least that's what it looks like from my recliner.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    No worries guys, no major redesign happening here... I am open to improvement ideas though:

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...gn-Coming-soon!

I do kinda like the new banner, FWIW.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I've given up on them. Too bad as I really liked the pub. I have broken all links from my web site as well.

I'm taking this opportunity to completely redo my build site.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just noticing the join date of everyone posting on this thread.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
    I've given up on them. Too bad as I really liked the pub. I have broken all links from my web site as well.

I'm taking this opportunity to completely redo my build site.
    Mike, I'm talking to FFR about a supporting member's forum. I don't know the parameters yet but I do know the pub was the main draw for the "old guard". I'm doing all I can to make this place the place to be, including some incentives for the vendors, which they seem to have abandoned...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Just noticing the join date of everyone posting on this thread.
    February 12, 2011! We're coming up to our 5 year anniversary!

Post Thanks / Like
    David,
    That would be great but it's not a deal breaker for me. When they didn't see supporting vendors as a first priority I made my decision. I feel like we lost something special and I am on board to support your efforts here.

EDIT: Let me know if you want any fabrication tutorials.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea I don't think I'm gonna even make a couple days over there with the new format. The latest thing is I run a Chrome plugin called Ghostery which shows and blocks all the little ad and tracking garbage that web sites throw out. Until today the worst I've seen on any site in the list has been around 15. ffcars is blowing that away by a wide margin. Mega spam. The report is the box on the right with the list of all the crap. This is a significant contributor to the slow speed as they are loading code (or trying to) for each of those components.

I've seen more than once where it has exceeded the boundaries of the plugins ability to display the list. I don't think even Ghostery anticipated that kind of garbage.

Mario

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to say it, but I'm going to abandon the old site and make this my FFR go-to from now on. One thing I'll miss is that the old site offered a sub-forum for old-school / original-style mods and I was able to help out quite a few guys who had seen all my posts over there - lots of PMs to this day on that stuff. The same content is here, as I've always been one of those "double posters," but it's just buried in the roadster forum.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    I hate to say it, but I'm going to abandon the old site and make this my FFR go-to from now on. One thing I'll miss is that the old site offered a sub-forum for old-school / original-style mods and I was able to help out quite a few guys who had seen all my posts over there - lots of PMs to this day on that stuff. The same content is here, as I've always been one of those "double posters," but it's just buried in the roadster forum.
    I'd consider adding that forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    And we are still at all posters having a Feb 2011 join date. How cool is that?

Post Thanks / Like
    And we are still at all posters having a Feb 2011 join date. How cool is that?
    I apologise for being "uncool" and ruining the Feb 2011 sequence but my Favourites bar jumps directly to the '33 Hot Rod Forum on FFCars where I don't see any real change from the old format. I will not be popular saying this but I have little interest in some of the other Factory Five Kits, (especially the Subaru based car) and don't often need to visit the home page at all.
    How uncool is that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Barrel,

I can understand your point of view, and hopefully have something that will interest you that I'd like your feedback on.

If you go to the home page you will notice all of the models listed in a menu bar across the top. If you click on the 33 Hotrod you will be taken to the 33 Hotrod page, which has the most recent posts for all of the 33 sub-forums as well as all the news items put out by FFR concerning the 33. Here's a link:

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/content.php?5-News

Take a look and tell me what you think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Many thanks David for that link, it is much appreciated and I have now bookmarked it in Favourites. Good job!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrel View Post
    I apologise for being "uncool" and ruining the Feb 2011 sequence but my Favourites bar jumps directly to the '33 Hot Rod Forum on FFCars where I don't see any real change from the old format. I will not be popular saying this but I have little interest in some of the other Factory Five Kits, (especially the Subaru based car) and don't often need to visit the home page at all.
    How uncool is that?
    Nothing wrong with that. That's why the make all kinds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks FritoBandito for the tip on Ghostery plugin. I installed it on Chrome and Internet Explorer. What a huge difference in speed! Now sites that took up to 15 seconds to finish loading all that stuff will load in 2 seconds! On FFcars site it shows 10 items prevented plus really fast like it should be. Jim
    Mk3.1 Complete kit #6846 Delv. 12/20/08-- Finished 2/11/11, 89 302 EFI,T-5, 3-Link, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555 245-315 tires, widened drivers footbox w/ dead pedal, extended passengers footbox,Sapphire Blue Met & Wimbledon White stripes,radiator stone guard shield, Build blog http://jimsffrcobrabuild.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrajj View Post
    Thanks FritoBandito for the tip on Ghostery plugin. I installed it on Chrome and Internet Explorer. What a huge difference in speed! Now sites that took up to 15 seconds to finish loading all that stuff will load in 2 seconds! On FFcars site it shows 10 items prevented plus really fast like it should be. Jim
    Yes, +1 on Ghostery! I just added it to chrome myself. I really appreciate the information...

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone remember a builders map of the USA? I thought this was a great way to locate other builders in my (and your) area. I never bookmarked this page and I have not been able to locate it since. Does this map still exist? is it being maintained? was it problematic for some reason? . . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Is this what you mean?
    33 Hotrod: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ers-Google-Map
    818: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ght=Google+Map

I didn't get a hit on any other models...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks This is what I was looking for. I notices you are not listed. Any particular reason?

Post Thanks / Like
    Once I log on to the FFCars site and the format switches back to the Classic style, I don't seem to have any issues with ads, or the site running slower? Still, some things that have changed that I am not fond of, but I'm getting used to it more every day.
    I certainly won't quit it, as there's always new members joining, needing help or tips, on their new builds. I know that without that forum, and the help I rec'd, back when I was building my roadster, it would have been a heck of a lot more challenging.

Wasn't the WIKI Build Tech idea sort of a place for posting the old school mods, build tips, etc.? Perhaps an "originality" topic could be added for what Chris is talking about.
    I don't see a lot of articles in that WIKI area yet. Is it still dependent on the moderators to post items to it, or can a member add something directly now?
    I posted a DIY thread back 4 years ago, on making brake duct, and oil cooler screens. It's deeply buried in the roadster threads now of course, but could possibly be of help to new builders. http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-duct-grilles
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bill, the Wikis don't get the attention they deserve, it's true. Yes, the thread needs to be promoted to the Wiki by a moderator or admin, but that can be remidied by simply PM'ing the suggestion to us.

Regarding the originality forum, it's a great Idea and I'll be adding it very soon.

EDIT: I took a look at the thread you mentioned and promoted it to the Wiki. Good Idea!