FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Koni shocks

Post Thanks / Like

Koni shocks

Hello everyone. I am just wondering what height everyone is setting the hotrod at. I have my shocks set a 17 threads between the adjuster and the end of the threads. I hope someone can help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave
    The suggested FF height is 4.5 inches from ground to frame at firewall and 4.5-5" from ground to chassis/frame just in front of the rear wheel.

Having said that it's a matter of personal taste. Do you like the raked look, taller tires/sidewalls etc. A lot of us have raised the height a bit to clear
    curbs etc. and keep from damaging the nose of the radiator and prevent dragging the chassis and running boards on speed bumps. IF it's a running
    board car that already puts a fiberglass part the running boards 1.25" lower than the steel chassis at just 3.25" above the ground . The down side is
    if you raise a 3 link or a 4 link car the control arms angles on the live axle get lousy and the instant center gets screwy pretty fast because those bars are short.
    HTH
    Dale Berry 7L Hemi33

Post Thanks / Like
    The manual says to put the front shocks in body down, I've seen them installed both ways bodies up and bodies down. any advantage to having the bodies down?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to know the bodies up or down question as well....????

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Red shocks can be mounted either direction and usually are mounted according to what give the most clearance and easiest access to the spring collars for adjustment. The newer nickel plated shocks must be mounted with the bodies down as they are a different design and will not work properly when mounted upside down.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Does someone make a tool to compress the spring to take the load off the collar for adjusting? There is little room to get tools in to hold the sleeve and turn the collar.