Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help please. Differential side oil seals

Post Thanks / Like

Help please. Differential side oil seals

Oil was leaking from both sides of my transaxle differential - where the axle shafts enter at both sides. I bought two side oil seals from the dealer for the front diff. I removed the axle shafts, replaced the oil seals, inserted the axle shafts carefully. But, both sides still leak! I hope someone here can give me some clues or tricks that will help when I do it all again. The old oil seals were bigger diameter than the new ones, but the new seals fit snuggly on the axle shafts and otherwise looked the same as the old ones. The FSM shows Special Tool ST28399SA010, oil seal protector and ST18675AA000, oil seal installer. Do I really need either of these tools?

Edit: Problem solved! See Post #16 . . .
    Last edited by AZPete; 02-21-2016 at 11:02 PM. Reason: problem solved
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you make sure and have the correct sides on the correct side? The seals are directional and if you install them in the wrong side, oil will be forced out of the seal while the shaft turns, instead of into the transmission.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was surprised that there were left and right side seals, and thought I had them correct, but since both leak perhaps I put them in the wrong sides. That would explain why both are leaking but I've only rolled the car back and forth in the garage - no miles.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    As Ironhydroxide points out, the seals are specific to each side, and if you have changed the diff from early to later model (or the other way) the seals are different part numbers
    image.jpg
    RHS seal suits female, LHS seal suits male output

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm having the same issue: leaking through the diff seals. I installed new ones and did not know they were side-specific but it makes sense based on the little directional grooves in them. However, in my case, it's only leaking from one side. So either I guessed right and just damaged one of the seals somehow during axle installation, or I ordered two of the seals for the left side and installed them on both sides, causing the right one to leak.

I read in the FSM that there is a tool you are supposed to install to protect the driveshaft seals during axle R&R. It just prevents the axle from falling and whacking the seal. Anyone actually use this or just be careful?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to be sure, right side is the driver side and left side is the passenger side right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Flynn, you are correct if in Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Great Britain, etc. . . . . but not San Diego.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've successfully installed them with a socket (32mm maybe), but I've also botched one once. They're not horrible to install, just mark the sundial thing that holds them in and count the number of turns. I just got a nice tool from Sgt Gator to install them that I'm excited to try and will report back on (for cheap!!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearldrummer7 View Post
    I've successfully installed them with a socket (32mm maybe), but I've also botched one once. They're not horrible to install, just mark the sundial thing that holds them in and count the number of turns. I just got a nice tool from Sgt Gator to install them that I'm excited to try and will report back on (for cheap!!)
    Just run w/o them
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Flynn, you are correct if in Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Great Britain, etc. . . . . but not San Diego.
    Ha ha ha ,yea I know it sounded funny but, some say the right is from the perspective from facing the car from the front and some say from sitting in the car.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right vs left is always when sitting in the vehicle facing forward. That's how the auto manufacturers refer to it. I'm sure there is an ISO standard stating it somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've made my own much cheaper versions of the two Subaru ST tools shown in the FSM. Well, you don't necessarily have to use them, but it makes the job easier and less likely you will tear the seal either while installing it in the tranny or when you put the axle shaft thru the seal. PM me if you want to know more and see this post for the other things the oil seal installer does besides just the side axle seals.
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post225333
    Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 02-09-2016 at 01:41 AM.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 on Gator's seal tool. Very good quality and fits like a glove.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the seals are directional then what happens when you go in reverse?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    If the seals are directional then what happens when you go in reverse?
    Things come at you from behind.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Leaking transaxle side seals solved! Thanks to Ironhydroxide, Sgt. Gator, and others, I replaced both side seals and now have no leaks!. When I replaced the seals the first time the Subaru dealer marked "R" and "L" on my invoice, but he marked them wrong so I installed them wrong. Here's the correct placement of the seals:
    #806735290 Left (driver) side
    #806735300 Right (passenger) side
    The seals have a very, very small arrow on the outside rim, inside the flex lip, that points the direction of the axle.
    If you are going to replace the seals, be sure to use the Seal Installer and Protector from Colonel Red Racing. These two inexpensive plastic tools are a perfect fit and help a lot to get the seals installed so there are no more leaks. See the Post above from Sgt. Gator. To get his tools send a PM to Sgt.Gator.
    Last edited by AZPete; 02-21-2016 at 11:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks AZpete, I'm glad they worked for you!
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you got it fixed. I used Gator's install tools and they worked well for me too.

I fixed my leak as well. It was only leaking on the right side for me. I bought aftermarket seals and they didn't have the extra lip that faces outward. I think that contributed to my leak. I went with an OEM seal this time and it isn't leaking now.