Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Interest Check: Engine-Turned 818 Door Inserts

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Interest Check: Engine-Turned 818 Door Inserts

Hi guys,

I'd like to sell these panel inserts to 818 folks:

These are hand turned by me using original F5R 818 door panels. Price would be $150 + your original trade-in panels. Add $20 if you want them to have shark-hide applied to the engine-turned side.

Can I have some feedback please?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    100 views and no response? Does anyone have any feedback?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    They are gorgeous, personally I'm going with either vinyl or leather.

Post Thanks / Like
    The engine turning is among the best I have seen, however it is not the style I am trying to implement in my car. From my perspective, the engine turned 'look' is more suited to a more vintage machine, or else the steam punk/hot rod look. I think it could look good in the 818, but in my opinion it would need to be complemented by some other engine turned components in the cockpit.....maybe some dash panels, engine instrument overlay (stick on, surrounding the gauges), tunnel trim, etc. The panel, by itself on the door, seems a bit out of place by itself. Again, just my 2 cents. Please dont take the wrong way......the execution is exceptional!

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome work, but I agree with the above. Would need to be set including other interior panels as well (dash, center console).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks guys, that's the feedback I need. Do you have pics of any other component that would compliment these panels?

Thanks again guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    818 cockpit - engine turned panel options.PNG

Dave,

I drew up a quick sketch of my first thoughts of where these panels could be considered. I think the panel should be a combination of the engine turning with some areas masked off to create keep-outs for gauges, or else stylistic frames or outlines. Like the stripes that I saw on some roadster dash panels (yours, no?)

Good luck with your effort! The interior is one of the places the 818 needs work, in my opinion

-Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    Note how the revised inserts flow up to meet the dash panel. Also, the center dash panel extends down to meet the tunnel.....this spot could hold radio, vents, ipad, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

I was thinking that you could probably build a CNC controlled X-Y gantry that would do the spot swirling for you instead of having to do it all by hand. There are many great, even free, resources on the web for doing this (MACH3 CAM is free until you decide you like it and then is very affordable) and the hardware is very common now too (stepper motors, controllers, linear ballbearing rails, etc. You definitely seem crafty enough to implement a system like this and then to duplicate your parts would be much less time intensive. In fact, the same X-Y gantry could be used as a router to mill the various panels that you plan to engine turn......then you would be a 1 stop shop!

Regards,

Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    You can find a very well thought-out X-Y gantry design here: http://www.hainesengineering.com/rha...c/cnc_info.htm

I bought these plans from Robert but have not made the gantry yet....but I plan to once the 818 is out of the garage! Take some time to look at his projects.....he is a very gifted guy. I wish I could look over his shoulder while he is working!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I like that but I would go with a brush style

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi. What is the FFR part number for the door inserts? I just looked and don't have the door insert in my parts list.
    DK