Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hood Scoop Metal insert

Post Thanks / Like

Hood Scoop Metal insert

Hey, I was wondering if anyone would have, or know how to get a pattern of the drilled metal insert in the hood scoop opening. I've spent the day trying to recreate it, and I'm having issues, as my drafting skills left me when I lost my mind years ago. If anyone has info on this it would be greatly appreciated.
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an update. I got the layout from someone over on CC, so thanks for looking anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't hurt to post the info on here, perhaps to help other builders wanting one..

It may qualify for the Wiki Build area of the forum as well, so it won't get lost here in the roadster forums. You can always send the info to David Hodgkins so he could add it, if it qualify's.
    Last edited by AC Bill; 02-19-2016 at 01:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Once I get the full size drawing, (currently being mailed to me), I'll touch base with David to see how to best handle this. The layout is actually for an ERA, so the hood scoop may be slightly different. I know it is for mine, but the hole layout should work regardless. Thanks for the idea of posting the layout. I sometimes forget that someone else may have the same issue, duh!
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, let's try this. I'll see if I can get the sketch, and a couple of pictures of this item to post. Well, I tried, but I don't know how to get them from a Microsoft picture file into a post. I guess I'll try to copy them to Photobucket, but I'm not sure about that either. I'll keep trying.
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    In reply, to my previous reply, I think I have this figured out! But then I thought so earlier, we'll see....

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Rick,
    That last picture of yours has me very confused..

Post Thanks / Like
    If someone wants to send me a full sized drawing, I can convert is to a vectored file and cut vinyl pilot hole drill templates on the plotter. I'll do it for free, but travel a lot and lead time may be a month or two. I use the same process to fabricate copper shower head hole templates.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill,
    Sorry for the delay in responding. Don't know how I missed this. The last picture is actually a photo of an ERA hood, in the open position, looking out the hood scoop opening from inside. Because of the reflection in the paint, the piece that ERA has to mount the hood scoop metal to, looks distorted. The four holes that you see are the mounting holes for the insert. It then goes up to the top of the scoop. There, that should be clear as mud!! Sorry, I had to stare at that picture for a few minutes to try to get oriented. Let me know if that's not clear. I actually am just about finished with this. Got the inner liner bonded, molded the scoop, installed mount points for the insert, and most recently drilled, inserted nutserts, and temporarily mounted the insert. I still have to trim the piece and polish it up a bit. When I get a minute I'll try to get a picture or two and post them. After not having any jobs come in for the last two months, the phone started ringing off the hook this week, so it looks like I'll be busier than a one legged man in an *** kicking contest.
    Mike,
    If anyone wants to take you up on your generous offer, let me know and I'll mail you a full size drawing. Truth be told though, the outside shape needs shaping based on the individual scoop. I had to change it from what you see in the drawing. It's the hole pattern that's a b*tch to lay out by hand.
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Rick,
    Nobody has taken me up on it yet. It will only take a few minutes to scan it in and build the template. Keep in mind that it will be accurate to about .010", so any drawing will need to be spot on for size and hole location. If left and right are exactly the same I can do half and flip it for the other half. Also, if there is anywhere that would need extra material for trimming, just mark the drawing and I'll add some. The vinyl would come with 1/8" holes for using a pilot drill.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn! Mike, if I hadn't already done this I'd take you up on that. Although, it would probably be too perfect for my car. I figure with all the imperfections, that when I'm done, the car will be a perfect reflection of me! Actually, with all the amazing metal work that you put into your car, I should have thought to contact you for some guidance in laying it out. Anyone that wants one of these, and doesn't take you up on your offer, would have to be crazy.
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    How did this all "End" ? I'm interested since my car needs one,,,,,and my friend who has one in his ERA ...measures differently and mounts to flange on the hood scoop . Sooo what can we do....to make this situation work ? Factory Five's tech told me what they did was make a "One Of" for Show Car and that was the end of the conversation .

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's one builders version. (Builder- Skullandbones)
    Last edited by AC Bill; 02-20-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shelby America's continuation FIA car has one shown here.

https://cocoaoc.org/members/forums/t...-csx7024-sale/

And yet another CSX, with different version.

http://cobracountry.com/cobra4salefo...ikBlu-CSX7964/
    Last edited by AC Bill; 02-20-2018 at 04:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Superformance version

Post Thanks / Like
    Hood Scoop Insert by Rick Paul, on Flickr Wow, forgot all about this. Being involved in what seems like a "100 years Build", I thought that I had posted a picture of the completed piece installed. Anyhow, here it is.