Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sti Vs Non-Sti

Post Thanks / Like

Sti Vs Non-Sti

While looking at potential donors in the 2006 range I'm seeing some that have Sti painted on the intercooler. I'm taking this to mean it's an Sti mode and not the preferred donor model. Am I correct in this thinking?

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a few different components to take into consideration. Look at the intake, brakes, interior helps gives things away. Even though the Sti isn't the preferred donor the few components that you "need" can be sourced easily or the Sti components could be made to work.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are significant differences. I and others have gone the STi route. It's an important factor if you want significant horsepower, like dropping the clutch and spinning big tires. The US WRX five-speed can't take it. Axles are weaker, too. That's a start. STi stuff will weight a bit more. wheel pattern is 5 X 114. It's stouter and perhaps commoner and more variety out there for whels. The brakes you have ordered might need to be addressed.
    I don't think there is a thread that specifically addresses the use of an STi as a donor. Perhaps there should be one? If you start a thread I betcha all the guys doing it would chime in.
    There is this about six-speed transmissions. Throughout posts comments are sprinkled and info is here about using the STi stuff. It is not than difficult to do and I think you can find it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Little bit older post, but only a few months...

Don't just look at the intercooler to ID an STi, that's a popular swap for WRX guys wanting to run more boost (larger intercooler reduces charge temps). As has been said, there's several things to look at... intake will be a wrinkle red (but this could also be a JDM swap or swapped on), bigger Brembo brakes, 2005 and newer are 5x114 rather than 5x100 like the WRX and 2004 STi. Also, six speed trans is an STi piece. If a potential donor has all of the above, I wouldn't care if it was a WRX or an STi, it's got all the good parts and I'd grab it!

I'm not sure what parts won't work other than the uprights/spindles, but it sounds like that's been worked around/modified to fit as well...