Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SOLIDWORKS-Mike's 818S Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

SOLIDWORKS-Mike's 818S Build Thread

Figured I could start my build thread since I'm making headway on gathering up all the stuff I need for both the car and the garage. My kit is supposed to be ready to ship in mid-March. So far I've sourced a few aftermarket goodies but have yet to figure out the donor parts. A good friend of mine runs a salvage yard in So Calif so I'm going to see if he can help me pick up a car from an auction using his connections and licenses. My aim is to use a 2006 WRX 2.5L Turbo for the build. Since I work for SOLIDWORKS and have access to our full suite of products I'm going to model up some of the custom parts just for fun.

Along with cleaning out the garage and making some shelf space, I got started on building the dolly to set the car on. So far I have the base done and I'll fire up the saw tomorrow to cut the stacks of wood for the actual supports:

My list of things to do once the build starts grows with every hour I spend going back through the previous build threads!

The blue machine is a 50 watt laser engraver/cutter that I'm hoping to use for some of the parts. Also, don't mind the Christmas goodies, that's the donation pile heading to Goodwill tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome!
    Where do you live?
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    Welcome!
    Where do you live?
    I'm in Las Vegas.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. Looking forward to watching your progress!

Post Thanks / Like
    Making some progress on the build prep. Hoping to have a delivery date of April 1 or 2 as long as the completion date from FFR sticks which I don't see any issue with. In the mean time I'm working on gathering donor parts.

First off I got the dolly finished. I ended up using 650 pound rated wheels from Harbor Freight:

Bought a gage cluster and a DBW throttle pedal from someone on NASIOC. My plan is to mod the gages a bit with led lighting and maybe some different faces so that's why I bought it ahead of time. I bought the Wilwood pedals from FFR so I only needed the throttle pedal to complete that part of the build and the guy had one:

So with the Wilwood set up I guess I won't need these:

Hoping to line up the rest of the donor parts from someone in PA as long as the cost to ship to Vegas isn't too bad!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a huge fan of Solidworks!

This is the very first writeup I ever did:
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1124644

Instead of wiring up individual leds you can now inexpensively buy flexible LED strips. The process is the same though. For best results, leave the OEM bulbs in place to light up the needles.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to agree with Mechie3, I am also a huge fan of Solidworks. i have been using it since SW2004. Unfortunately when i changed jobs, my new employer does not use it so I have lost access.

I look forward to seeing your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like SW too, but I couldn't find a setup for my Mac when I started, so I've been running TurboCAD Pro. I guess once you get used to something, it can be hard to switch, haha.

In any event, I'm looking forward to some of the stuff you come up with.
    818C | Kit delivery: 3/19/16 | Status: Powertrain installed
    Daily: 2014 CTS-V - Fat and slow

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    I'm a huge fan of Solidworks!

This is the very first writeup I ever did:
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1124644

Instead of wiring up individual leds you can now inexpensively buy flexible LED strips. The process is the same though. For best results, leave the OEM bulbs in place to light up the needles.
    Definitely don't want to go through all of that process! I was thinking simple light up overlays like this:

I too am a huge fan of SOLIDWORKS but I may be biased! We have some of the best customers in the world, and FFR is one of them. I love flipping through the build manual and seeing a bunch of screen shots of the CAD model. As a company we have built a couple of FFR cars in the past led by my good friend (and former boss) Jeremy Luchini. My house is full of products designed by our customers and now it looks as if my garage will be too!

Post Thanks / Like
    I travel for work a few times a month which I'm sure will limit my build availability once I start on the kit, but I do get to visit some cool customers along the way. This week I was in Southern California and met up with a couple of friends/customers that work at Oakley. Prior to working at SOLIDWORKS I used to work at a company that built plastic injection molds and one of their customers was Oakley. I designed several molds for them over the years and all of them are still running to this day. Somewhere down in this area are a few of my mold designs running:

But it's always nice to come home to UPS packages! Such is the case with this trip as a couple of pre-build items were waiting for me:

First up is a Grimspeed lightweight crank pulley and oil filter relocation kit:

And a brand new radiator with dual fan set up:

That will be about it for parts for a few weeks other than a 'large' shipment from Zero Decibel I'm awaiting. Next trip is in about 10 days to Waltham Mass which should allow me to get down to Wareham to drop off some stuff for one of the guys. Hopefully my kit will be somewhere in the middle of the country in a Stewart truck on its way to Vegas by that point!

Post Thanks / Like
    Kit and transport are all paid for and should hit the road from FFR late next week. I'll actually be at FFR next week, so I'll have to see if my kit is still there or not!

In the mean time more parts continue to come in:

Received all of the Frozen Boost parts that I ordered from Zero Decibel, awaiting a rather large shipment of Zero Decibel parts to arrive in the near future as well:

Engine hoist is ready for my parts pallet to arrive late next week as well:

And finally the work area is all set up with Direct TV, computer, and bench space:

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I see no place for beer, what kind of work environment is this?!!?
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    I see no place for beer, what kind of work environment is this?!!?
    The fridge is inside so I have more room in the garage for car parts!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidworks-Mike View Post
    Received all of the Frozen Boost parts that I ordered from Zero Decibel, awaiting a rather large shipment of Zero Decibel parts to arrive in the near future as well:
    I'm just waiting on boxes to come in and everything is out the door!
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just waiting on boxes to come in and everything is out the door!
    Awesome, my shelves of parts are filling up, now I just need to fill the big hole where the kit will go! I'm sure I'll have some additional purchases from you in the future!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Engine hoist is ready for my parts pallet to arrive late next week as well:

Hi Mike,

Looks like you're really prepared for the build! Have fun and good luck. Just a heads-up, that looks like the same 1 ton hoist I have; some builders had issues with it not having enough reach to install the motor in the 818 (interfering with the trans mount). It worked for me, but you'll need it at max extension, and install the motor and trans together (to shift the c.g. rearward). Like this is just barely reaches! Also, a balance bar will help immensely when the time comes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Trying to get the little things out of the way before the kit arrives, so installing a chip to reset the odometer back to zero was tonight's project. I ordered one of the EEPROMs from K3LAG's thread and followed the dis-assembly instructions.

All taken apart:

The chip in question:

Replaced by the new chip:

The most difficult part of the process is removing the old chip. All I had was a solder sucker but solder wick would have been much easier. Guess I'll find out if it worked when I get to the step where I can power up the car! Unless someone knows how to test it on the bench?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, your cluster can be powered up by connecting 12V to pin C10 and ground to pin C6. I took a guess that you have a later model cluster but for the earlier ones it would be pins A10 and A6. Make sure you download the wiring manual for whatever year wiring harness and ECU you end up getting.
    cluster1.jpgcluster2.jpgcluster3.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Mike, your cluster can be powered up by connecting 12V to pin C10 and ground to pin C6. I took a guess that you have a later model cluster but for the earlier ones it would be pins A10 and A6. Make sure you download the wiring manual for whatever year wiring harness and ECU you end up getting.
    cluster1.jpgcluster2.jpgcluster3.jpg
    Thanks for the info. I'm using parts from a 2006, so it's a later model. Any suggestions on where to obtain the wiring manual online?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. I'm using parts from a 2006, so it's a later model. Any suggestions on where to obtain the wiring manual online?
    http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/mans/06%20impreza%20FSM.zip

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy cow! You WORK for Solidworks! That's awesome! I love SW! I've been using it to model some flow simulations of different aero parts. To say I'm "struggling" with modeling the body is an understatement - it's been slow going, but I have a nice hood... =) I'm doing up the rear of the car next. If you know a guy...

Looking forward to your build - great work space (I am a little concerned that the beer is too far away...).

Best,
    -j
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like my soldering skills were good enough:

818-S 2.5L Turbo Chassis Number: 404
    Kit Order Date: February 19, 2016 Kit Completion Date: March 19, 2016 Kit Ship Date: March 26, 2016 Build Start Date: April 22, 2016
    Build Thread: Click Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Got word today that the kit is finished and waiting for Stewart to pick it up and head west with it. Decided to mess around with the laser machine to do some engraving:

A little off center on the set up, but that's why I practiced on a part that is pretty hard to see when installed!
    Kit Order Date: February 19, 2016 Kit Completion Date: March 19, 2016 Kit Ship Date: March 26, 2016 Build Start Date: April 22, 2016

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG, it's going to be fun watching this build.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    That cool.

Do you plan on designing and selling any parts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero STI View Post
    That cool.

Do you plan on designing and selling any parts?
    Not as far as I can see, especially with all of the parts that others have already designed and sold. If I had access to a machine shop then I would have made some of my own stuff, but it was simply easier to order almost one of everything Zero Decibel makes and sells. I was chatting with a buddy here in town who is a lead rigger for one of the Cirque shows on the strip and we were looking at the build manual and were discussing a few potential things, but until I get the kit here and start working on it it's hard to formulate ideas.

As far as designing stuff, it would be pretty simple since I have access to the tools to design in, and have my prior experience working in a mold shop for 15 years to fall back on for manufacturability.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a nice box in the mail today from Zero Decibel Motorsports:

After a little bit of file and debur work, the parts are off to powder-coat this week. Thinking a nice royal blue for the brackets, and a flat grey for the hinges. Also received some my heat and sound protection as well as placed my McMaster Carr order for drill bits and fasteners, and an order for lubricants and fluids. Pretty much just waiting for Stewart to decide when they want to load up the kit and get it on its way to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let the fun begin! The donor parts arrived today so I get to start going through all of that stuff and cleaning it up:

Spoke with Stewart and I'm hoping for a kit delivery tomorrow or Saturday, so fingers crossed because I'll be in Boston for 12 days beginning Monday.

Post Thanks / Like
    How did I miss the laser?!?
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    How did I miss the laser?!?
    It's easy to miss things when trying to scan through threads. The laser is yours to play with anytime you like, I know its a bit of a drive to Vegas, but I don't use it as much anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, Stewart was a no show this week, and now I'm getting ready to head to Boston for 11 days so I guess they'll be storing my kit in Phoenix for a bit longer. I guess they're waiting for a truck that's coming my way so they can stick my kit on it.

In the mean time I have lots of cleaning and donor part prep.

Here's my 2006 WRX 2.5 Turbo motor (minus the turbo which the supplier forgot to include in the crate):

First project was cleaning up the front lower control arms. Here is a clean one, and one not cleaned yet:

I then moved on to cleaning up the front and rear spindles. I was able to get the axels out of the fronts and one of the rears, but one of the rears seems to be stuck together pretty good. We tried on a 20 ton press and it wouldn't budge, so I think I'm going to start looking for a replacement spindle and CV joint.

Of course cleaning up rusty parts requires our good friend the Bucket 'O Doom:

So after sitting in it overnight, and a little bit of navel jelly, the rust was gone:

*A side note on the hammer. I made that my senior year in high school (1990) and it's kind of cool I'm getting to use it on this project.

Next up was depowering the steering rack which was a pain. Three of the fittings wouldn't come off, so I cut off the tubing. The ones on the main body I ended up cutting off and covering the hole with JB Weld. Stopped by a hose fitting place and got some caps for the other open fittings:

While removing the degas tank for relocation in the car, this hose that was attached to the bottom of the tank is still attached to the engine, what do I do with this hose now:

These two pipes are just hanging out, are these the lines that get looped together?

Post Thanks / Like
    Next up was depowering the steering rack which was a pain. Three of the fittings wouldn't come off, so I cut off the tubing.
    I had the same issue on mine, and with a few other fasteners that wouldn't budge. I found that a heat gun does the trick most of the time

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    The two pipes in the last picture get looped together with the u-shaped coolant hose FFR supplies in the kit.

No sure I understand your previous question about what to do with the hose the degas tank connected to. You mention you are relocating the degas tank.... any reason why you'd relocate it and not reconnect it back to this hose? The purpose of the degas tank is to automatically bleed the coolant system while the engine runs, and also to help make the cooling system easier to fill by not having as many issues with air pockets. It needs to be the highest point in the coolant system. You can do without it but you may have issues with air in the coolant system and overheating. I created my own degas tank and relocated it, but my relocation was to mount it to the frame directly above that hose shown in your pic. I then used a 1/2" vertical section of hose to go down to the coolant pipe instead of the OEM hose with a 90 degree bend in it. Pics in my build thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Replace the hose with a longer one to reach your relocated degas tank.
    While you are in Boston if you have time to drive 20 miles south I'd be happy to have you check out my completed 818 (same donor as yours).

Post Thanks / Like
    He's using my relocation bracket which swings the tank cap out from under the frame. Remove the hose that is left and use the hose supplied with the kit. I S and a single 21" long piece. It needs to be cut to make two pieces. I dont cut it to let the end user determine the size they need.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    The two pipes in the last picture get looped together with the u-shaped coolant hose FFR supplies in the kit.

No sure I understand your previous question about what to do with the hose the degas tank connected to. You mention you are relocating the degas tank.... any reason why you'd relocate it and not reconnect it back to this hose? The purpose of the degas tank is to automatically bleed the coolant system while the engine runs, and also to help make the cooling system easier to fill by not having as many issues with air pockets. It needs to be the highest point in the coolant system. You can do without it but you may have issues with air in the coolant system and overheating. I created my own degas tank and relocated it, but my relocation was to mount it to the frame directly above that hose shown in your pic. I then used a 1/2" vertical section of hose to go down to the coolant pipe instead of the OEM hose with a 90 degree bend in it. Pics in my build thread.
    Thanks for the explanation, I'm going to essentially do what you outlined, so I need to extend that hose using the bracket from Mechie3

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by idf View Post
    Replace the hose with a longer one to reach your relocated degas tank.
    While you are in Boston if you have time to drive 20 miles south I'd be happy to have you check out my completed 818 (same donor as yours).

I may take you up on that. I'll actually be in Waltham, but next Sunday I have to pick up someone from Logan who's flying in, so maybe that day. I'll send you a PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    He's using my relocation bracket which swings the tank cap out from under the frame. Remove the hose that is left and use the hose supplied with the kit. I S and a single 21" long piece. It needs to be cut to make two pieces. I dont cut it to let the end user determine the size they need.

Ha, one of the few things I didn't order from you! Order incoming!

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol. My bad. You pretty much ordered 1 of everything so I thought you had that.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast