Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: System Options with Stock ECU

Post Thanks / Like

System Options with Stock ECU

Anyone know what recommended max injector size and fuel pump is with 2002 Stock WRX ECU? Plan to Reflash with Accessport, but don't want to oversize or over purchase. Also what about fuel rails and lines?

Overall Specs are
    Hybrid EJ25 with 2.0 Heads
    TD05 Turbo
    Zero DB AWIC Package

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, here are some thoughts:

The stock injector size specified in the 02 WRX ECU is 420 cc. If you plan to upgrade your injectors, you'll need to modify this number but it will take some fine tuning. For instance, if you get 800cc injectors the value that needs to be put in the ECU is going to be in the range of 740-760cc.

If you are upgrading injectors, it's a good idea to upgrade your fuel pump as well. The fuel pump is controlled by the fuel pump controller and you don't need to modify any values in the ECU.

Which TD05 turbo are you running? Since this is going to be larger then stock, it's a good idea to upgrade your injectors and fuel pump. The way to tell if you need bigger injectors is by data logging with your new setup and recording injector duty cycle. If at wide open throttle and full boost you're hitting IDC of 90-100%, you should upgrade your injectors.

If you're asking what size injectors you should get, that sort of depends on many factors such as what power levels are you after, how much boost do you plan to run, etc...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I had no problem installing 1000cc injectors, walbro342, VF39 with a 2003 WRX stock ECU, stock rails. Makes 322hp, you shouldn't need upgraded fuel rails unless you plan on over 400-450hp.
    818S Chassis #288 2.5L 323hp
    Ordered: 9/19/14 Received Kit: 11/2/14 First Start: 5/31/15 First Drive: 6/7/15 Registered: 3/10/2016 Completed: 2/10/2017
    joshuajach.com

Post Thanks / Like
    What did you go with for exhaust?

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have a hybrid build: with forged internals, AJW exhaust, walbro 255 pump and 850cc ID injectors. No issues with my stock ECU

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stock ECU can handle whatever size injectors you want. And fuel pump isn't really limited by ECU either. Injector size is based on how much power you want to run and what kind of fuel you will be burning- same for fuel pump. I can't remember if the early WRX models use the fuel pump controller like I have in my 2007 but if they do, once you get much over 255 LPH or so, you need to delete the controller and run the pump off a single large gauge wire (preferably one hooked up to a dedicated relay).
    Last edited by Hindsight; 03-02-2016 at 09:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Stock ECU can handle whatever size injectors you want. And fuel pump isn't really limited by ECU either. Injector size is based on how much power you want to run and what kind of fuel you will be burning- same for fuel pump. I can't remember if the early WRX models use the fuel pump controller like I have in my 2007 but if they do, once you get about around 255 LPH or so, you need to delete the controller and run the pump off a single large gauge wire (preferably one hooked up to a dedicated relay).
    I ran a 12 gauge wire to mine and put it on a (pretty, with an LED) 20A switch on my dash. Along with that switch is my other fuel pump (Radium FST), my cooling fans, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can also get the DCCD fuel pro. Its an aftermarket controller that can run higher pumps. I got a walbro 450, so I needed a stronger controller the DCCD Fuel pro fixes that issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Stock ECU can handle whatever size injectors you want. And fuel pump isn't really limited by ECU either. Injector size is based on how much power you want to run and what kind of fuel you will be burning- same for fuel pump. I can't remember if the early WRX models use the fuel pump controller like I have in my 2007 but if they do, once you get about around 255 LPH or so, you need to delete the controller and run the pump off a single large gauge wire (preferably one hooked up to a dedicated relay).
    Thanks for the heads up, this prompted to look at the amperage draw of the aeromotive 340 pump in my boyd tank and turns out it is twice the draw of the stock subaru pump. I'll have to fix my current setup, which is running the pump off of the stock controller. So far it has worked fine but good thing I didn't have a wire melt down. I'll probably run the pump off of a direct power line and relay.