BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: SCCA/NASA legal 818

Post Thanks / Like

SCCA/NASA legal 818

Hi
    I would like to know how many cars currently have log books and can race. Any pictures or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Post Thanks / Like
    Chad's car was raced in NASA ST2 before he sold it. Pics on this thread (here)

Post Thanks / Like
    My R it targeted to be on track in April, I am pretty sure I will miss the March NASA event here. The car is getting really close but work is starting to eat up my car time.
    Brandon Pantas started racing his 818R in ST3 toward the end of last season.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine's been on track and I have a membership to a local track (NYST) this year. I don't have plans for NASA events until later this year. I want dial in the car and the nut behind the wheel a bit more first.

Post Thanks / Like
    I totally have the save problem with the loose nut behind the wheel. So I take it that there is no caged hard top racing yet?

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JRS1977 View Post
    I totally have the save problem with the loose nut behind the wheel. So I take it that there is no caged hard top racing yet?
    Not yet
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    There is at least 1 center drive 818 on the track here in the NW that is running SCCA, ICSSC and NASA, there are 2 more (mine and Retro Racing) that will be on the track soon also here in the NW, so I expect to see 4-5 818R on the track here in the NW this race season.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn straight!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have submitted the 818R for classification to SCCA, and have been told it can race in Regional class SP, but not in any "National/Majors" classes, as it is not a production based car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would think a case could be made for a SCCA production class, they allow the Caterham which is a kit. Now to make it happen would be quite the challenge.
    I did actually bring it up to Lisa Noble and Board member Steve Harris, was told it would have to go through the comp board.
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 03-09-2016 at 08:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a shot of my 818R from a local AX.

rEj6nL8.jpg
    Owner/builder - AEM Intakes 818R #85

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SixStar View Post
    Here's a shot of my 818R from a local AX.

rEj6nL8.jpg
    Nice picture, I like the way your tire tracks are smoking.
    Are you drifting out of a corner?
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 04-02-2016 at 04:37 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    I would think a case could be made for a SCCA production class, they allow the Caterham which is a kit. Now to make it happen would be quite the challenge.
    I did actually bring it up to Lisa Noble and Board member Steve Harris, was told it would have to go through the comp board.
    The Caterham is a direct descendent of the original Lotus 7, which was considered a production car back when the standards weren't too high. So it is kind of the ideal case for a kit car, plus I think it's being allowed has always been controversial and unpopular with some.

But if FFR could build 1000+ 818's with the same configuration, they would have a shot. Regional Special Production is actually not a bad option, you could even claim you were a National champion if you won at the ARRC.

NASA ST is probably a better bet, but again you sort of need more cars to get exempted from some of the non-production penalties.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grintch View Post
    The Caterham is a direct descendent of the original Lotus 7, which was considered a production car back when the standards weren't too high. So it is kind of the ideal case for a kit car, plus I think it's being allowed has always been controversial and unpopular with some.

But if FFR could build 1000+ 818's with the same configuration, they would have a shot. Regional Special Production is actually not a bad option, you could even claim you were a National champion if you won at the ARRC.

NASA ST is probably a better bet, but again you sort of need more cars to get exempted from some of the non-production penalties.
    There are quite a few Caterham's here in the NW, they are allowed to run Vintage also, they are a good run for the challenge car. So we have them running in SCCA vintage, SOVREN and ICSCC. My 818R now has a SCCA and ICSCC log book.
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the original application that Chad used for ST2. If you'd like a copy, let me know and I can send it to you. I don't plan on racing yet. I am working at becoming a better driver and learning the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    I have the original application that Chad used for ST2. If you'd like a copy, let me know and I can send it to you. I don't plan on racing yet. I am working at becoming a better driver and learning the car.
    I'd like a copy of that! Can you host it on Google docs or something and post a link for all of us?
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com...2--4-20-16.pdf
    https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com...cial_Rules.pdf
    https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com...m--12-5-15.pdf

A few links that you will find helpful, on the NASA site is also a ST calculator which is really easy to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JRS1977 View Post
    Hi
    I would like to know how many cars currently have log books and can race. Any pictures or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy
    I have 2 log books for my 818R, SCCA and ICSCC

IMG-20160916-WA0001.jpg WP_20160819_13_20_08_Pro.jpg
    Tony Nadalin
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Your car looks great Tony.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have log books for ICSCC in Washington where it can run in SPM, and a NASA logbook for ST-3
    P1010266 (4).jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Leodelc View Post
    I have log books for ICSCC in Washington where it can run in SPM, and a NASA logbook for ST-3
    P1010266 (4).jpg
    WOW, Nice center seat, big wing, side scoops, center hump with scoop, Team Dynamic Wheels and molded in door vents.
    What other good stuff did you do? did I miss you build thread somewhere?
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to focus my time building, so I did not post a build thread. I built this car to run the 25 hours of Thunderhill. This year will be our first showing.

Some design details:

Center scoop is functional, it forces air through the intercooler. Dropped my manifold temp rise in half.
    Front and rear anti-roll bars
    Solid rear suspension joints
    Coolant tubes run entirely within the cockpit for protection
    Dual-master cylinder 600-series Tilton pedals and Wilwood brakes
    Butler seat and raked seating position provides ample helmet/roll bar clearance even for my 6'2" co-driver
    Dry sump oiling
    LED headlights and apex lights for night racing
    Illuminated (EL) side number plates
    Titan steering rack
    Motec dash
    Steering angle, brake pressure, wheel speed, and shock displacement instrumented
    K-tuned shifter

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Could you post more pic of the green car?
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Leodelc View Post
    P1010266 (4).jpg
    Dayum. Love the green. How does it drive?