Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris' 289 FIA build, #8833

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great Chris, nice work!

I like your seat choice. I think that the FIA cars look nice with the seats that way.

Nice progress!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good man! Keep it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys! After all the blood, sweat and curse words, it's nice to see this starting to look like what I imagined.
    Last edited by cnutting; 08-15-2016 at 07:48 PM.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to ditch those stock brake pads for something that works. I'm in the middle of this right now and I can tell you that ceramics aren't much better. I'm going to try the Napa Semi-Metallics next. I'll report back. I would go with my tried and true brake motiv setup which use cross drilled, slotted rotors with ceramics which work awesome but you'd see it though the wheels and it wouldn't look period correct.

5. Thanks Jonathan427 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I already switched to the Hawk pads. Will those be good for regular driving with the occasional "spirited" outing?
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure they will.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hawks will be nice! Mine made a huge difference
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Stopped by Mike Forte's yesterday and he has my engine block back from cleaning an inspection. Next up is machining and assembly. With that, time to get back into things in the garage to get ready for engine and transmission install. First up was prep on the side pipes. A little solvent and scotch-bright really brought out the stainless shine. Of course I then had to paint them... black.

After that was wiring of the dash. It looks like I will be ditching the RF dash harness and sender harness as the 289 gauges have their own connectors. Very straightforward, probably just a couple splices into the main RF harness. After that I thought I would test fit the roll bar. The 289 supplemental instructions are vague at best, but once you see the parts, it's pretty obvious. My one suggestion to FFR (Courtnie, Dan??) is to update the instructions to mark and drill the 2" frame member and cut the floor pan before mounting the aluminum. Seems easier that way.

The forward bar doesn't intrude much on the passenger side and may make entry/exit a bit easier.

FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

Post Thanks / Like
    Not much to show, but I *think* I'm in the home stretch for wiring. When we last left off I was ditching the RF dash harness and sender harness. Turns out I needed some of the dash harness so I ended up dissecting everything to incorporate all the changes:
    * 289 FIA gauges
    * Foot actuated high-beam switch
    * 289 tail lights (need to splice in the FFR supplied trailer converter since the wiring on the tail lights is different than the MkIV)
    * Power feed for the side marker lights

Fortunately the schematic is very comprehensive. I also connectorized the tail lights with weather packs. Next weekend will be connectors on the headlights, front turn signals and the side markers. Then I'm ready to put some test voltage into the system to make sure everything works, then fix whatever needs fixin'. Hopefully the magic smoke will not be released from the system...
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris-

Best of luck as you wrap up your electrical work. More importantly, here's to hoping there's no "magic smoke!!" Thanks for the laugh at the magic smoke comment -- good stuff!

Car looks great, and I have enjoyed following along.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    No magic smoke, but some strange results that I need to track down. Couple tools, some more weatherpak connectors and upgrade parts showed up and well... you know how that goes....

Last edited by cnutting; 09-20-2016 at 06:45 PM.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

Post Thanks / Like
    Your car is so cool looking. Can't wait to see the finished product

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice build... clean and neat.
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins
    Certified "Kool Aid" drinker

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. Dropped out for a bit, I'm in my last class at school, scheduled to graduate in December and trying to not get distracted which is tough with a FFR in the garage. Here is a quick update.

The end of summer was spent with wiring and starting body prep including undercoating with bedliner. Not super interesting, but...

Just passed a big milestone last weekend. Mike Forte delivered my engine. A 1965 289 block converted to a roller cam. Transmission is a TKO 600 with the mid-shift kit. His dyno numbers are just north of 340, which is right where I wanted to be. Last Sunday turned out to be a nice day, so my wife and I decided to get it installed and here it is:

Next up will be making all the connections and hopefully a first start before winter really sets in, but the car really needs to take a back seat to schoolwork in the short term.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Slowly working my way towards a first start in the car. School is done, official graduation date is this Tuesday, so that's out of the way. However, winter in Boston slows things down since I hate the cold. Fortunately it hasn't been too bad this year (knock on wood) so I've been able to put in a couple hours here and there.

Cooling system is ready for filling, I decided to blow out the budget a little bit more and go with the Breeze radiator mounts and hose/tubes. Happy with that decision. Electrical is done, going to wait until everything checks out before final dressing. Couple more connections to make on the oil lines and that's done and ready for fill. Then go through everything on the checklist again, schedule some time with Mike Forte so he can tell me what I missed/did wrong, then turning of the magic key...
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking FABULOUS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Couple items complete today:

Installed the Metco safety loop. Very straightforward installation. Haven't done the final torque yet as I want to check clearances once the car is back on the ground. Also, not a huge fan on the parking brake cable with this loop. To keep the cables free of corners and sharp stuff, they want to run on the inside of the loop. However, any fragmentation from the driveshaft (if it let go) would probably damage the cables. So... need to think about this a bit.

Finally got a full power test on the electrical. After all the surgery to eliminate unneeded wires, relocate the high beam switch to the floor, graft in 289 gauges and the taillight converter I was a little worried that something wouldn't work. Taking it one step at a time, the lights came on (including parking lights!), the turn signals work, hazards work, high beams, horns, etc. Even the gauges power up and the gauge lights work too. The hardest part was adjusting the brake-light switch.

Coolant is filled, oil is filled, the only thing missing is to finish the throttle linkage, put some gas in and fire it up. Need to double check my list, 'cuz I feel like I'm missing something.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

Post Thanks / Like
    All sounds great Chris. Post more pictures when you can!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    After a successful first start, it looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel. Today I turned my attention to finishing off the throttle linkage from Mike Forte and then interior work. I made an adapter for the Kirkey drivers seat to the adjustable seat tracks. Pretty straightforward, one inch wide 1/4" steel bars to tie everything together. Then drilled both seat mounts. There may be some tweaking needed once the body is on, but I have a plan for that if need be.

The last thing was to start on carpeting. The back wall is done and the trans tunnel. I need to get another quart of DAP adhesive. This stuff works well, but the fumes are crazy. Had all the doors open in the garage to vent. Pretty happy with how things are coming out. Hope to finish the rest of the carpet next weekend.

Starting to look like a real car...
    Last edited by cnutting; 04-30-2017 at 05:51 PM.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

Post Thanks / Like
    Great progress. If I had just waited a tad longer I could be driving one now. Instead I have a white elephant sitting in my garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    More carpeting today. All that's left is to close out the drivers footbox then place that carpet and the piece under the dash. Drivers seat attached to the sliders. Placed the seats, but haven't attached to the car yet. Next weekend, I'll probably get the body back on.

Ran the car again, love this sound...

https://youtu.be/rID7fZXRpog
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Chris,

I can see your LeMans gas cap in the picture. How do you plan to mount it permanently? I'm wanting to mount mine flush on the body like Erik Treves and Eric Hansen. Have you considered this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Good question...
    I need to go back through their threads to see how much extra effort it was. The support from FFR is nice because the unit has a lot of heft, but I don't really like the idea of leaving a space.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if those guys modified the support? From the pictures, it appears they simply attached it to the surface of the fiberglass. Let me know what you find out. Having the cap recessed below the surface of the body just does not look right to me. I do not think that is how the original cars were.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another milestone today, got the body (kinda) mounted. However, this was a hard fought victory that is still not 100% complete. I've come to realize that many of the upgrades and mods for the MkIV do not translate directly over to the 289. Some might see this as obvious, but I guess I overlooked it. The 289 really is still a beta kit.

First was the radiator mount. I went with Breeze for the top and bottom mounts to take the strain off the radiator. I also went ahead and riveted in the aluminum panel that holds the oil cooler when I installed the radiator. I got the nose of the body over this assembly, but then had to disconnect the oil cooler panel from the radiator and the lower mount from the radiator to adjust the body to the correct position. Based on how this is all fitting, I might need to rethink how these parts all get reattached, and whether or not I can use the lower mount. Breeze makes great stuff and I will find a way to make it work here.

Once the nose was on, we dropped the aft end. Significant interference with the trunk aluminum. Worked through most of this, then had to remove the lower coupling nuts for the quick jacks (aka Kleiner mod) so the body would continue to drop. Then, the corners of the valence hit the gas tank. Got the passenger side over the flange, then was able to drop the drivers side. Now those corners hit the tank (as PeteH pointed out) and the body is now 1" too far back.

Trimming the body in addition to the aluminum on this kit is required to get the body into the correct position.

Now I know where to trim the body and will tackle that next. I will need to trim even more off the lower trunk aluminum and may need to redo the top coupler nuts in addition to the bottom. Lots of work needing to be undone and redone.

Had I trimmed the body first, I might not have needed to take as much off the trunk side aluminum, but there was really no way to tell until I was into it.

The body is in an ok spot now. When I think about it some more I will tackle getting it the rest of the way there. I also have photos of the interference issues that I will pass onto FFR in addition to some of my other suggestions in the hope that they update the 289 supplement.

I get it's a kit, but it really shouldn't be this difficult. Three hours to rough place the body (on my third attempt) seems a little long, maybe my expectations were too high, maybe some of my earlier decisions shot me in the foot.

Anyway... Here are some photos:

Driver side valence/gas tank interference

Passenger side interference

Note, these photos show the body above the final position, it's easier to see the interference this way.

And some nicer shots

Last edited by cnutting; 05-27-2017 at 07:31 PM.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris,

The body fitting on the 289 looks kind of like a nightmare. I'm not looking forward to it. I've read back through Erik and Eric's 289 build threads and they don't mention these fitment issues. I wonder if something has changed at FFR regarding the later versions of the kit? Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Joel,
    Not sure I can blame the body 100%, I think some of my previous choices contributed as well. The Eriks are both experienced builders and may have done things in a more efficient manner. I do think there is an interference in the rear lower valence that people should be aware of and if it's addressed earlier in the build, there won't be as big of a problem. I'll add this to my 289 watch out list...
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

Post Thanks / Like
    There is still some cleanup needed, but after a decent amount of body and aluminum trimming the body sits about where it should. So now it's on to the rest of the fitting process. Next weekend I'll be starting into the doors, hood and trunk.

FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I miss my 289
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    So, after my adventures with the body, I was expecting more drama with the doors and hood. Turns out, I was pleasantly surprised with the fit. Very little trimming was needed, the doors adjusted well. The gaps are a little tight, but this is a rough fit for now. Will go for the trunk this weekend, then some of the detail parts (vents, splash guard, fuel filler, side marker lights...). Then I will pull the body again and clean up the areas that I trimmed.

Passenger door:

Driver door:

Hood:

FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

Post Thanks / Like
    Any updates?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    Any updates?
    Actually.... Yes.

Spent a little time on the trunk. This is roughly placed for now but needs more trimming for a good fit. I want to get things roughed in, pull the body and clean up the rear valence trim and the trunk aluminum. Then put the body back on and get the gaps a little better. I also placed the windshield and paused for a couple pics.

Also ran it again and drove it several feet. We are on a small street and one of my neighbors is not a car fan so didn't want to push it too much...

After that, I moved onto the door latches. PeteH noted that there was a big gap between the frame mount and the latch. I had the same issue. I checked out the FFR 289 car photos on their website and noticed that they used some latch parts that the MkIV manual says to discard. Emailed Courtnie, who sent me to Dan and he sent me the latest 289 supplement which documents how to assemble the door latches. The one I had (which didn't describe the latches) was dated 7/2015 (rev B), but the new one is (also Rev B) Feb 2017.

If you are building the 289 and do not have the 2/17 update, email FFR. Last I checked they still had the old rev in the download section on their parts page.

This is a crappy photo of how they look, the bracket compensates for the gap:

That fixed, I moved on to some 289 detail parts; side marker lights, splashguard, bungee mounts and the grab bar on the front of the cockpit.

After many small successes, disaster surely must have been around the corner, right? With that in mind, I decided to tackle my radiator issue.

Part of the issue with fitting the body had to do with what seems to be the smaller nose area of the 289. I thought the Breeze radiator mounts and radiator tubes would be fine. Yes and no. Turns out the angle for the 289 radiator is more shallow than the MkIV. The Breeze upper and lower radiator mounts coupled with the oil cooler just wouldn't fit if installed for the MkIV. I took them apart to fit the body and pondered what to do until this week. To get everything to fit properly, I needed to pick up the bottom of the radiator, but the lower tube hit the frame. I emailed Mark, he sent out a new hose section with a few more inches on the straight length (great customer service btw!). I also needed to shift the radiator top up, so I re-mounted the Breeze upper mount on top of the 3/4" frame piece.

Next task was to locate the oil cooler mount aluminum on the body, then rotate the radiator up to meet it. I put a couple 1/4-20 bolts in to hold it all together and a couple more to hold the oil cooler aluminum to the body. Everything now fits, and I can disassemble things if I run into interference with taking off and putting on the body. I ended up having to remove the hood, all the radiator hoses and the horns to accomplish this. No blood though, so I must be getting good at this. The jury is still out as to whether or not I can use the Breeze lower mount. It's wicked tight in there and I still need to put in the FFR nose mount. I have some thoughts though, more to follow...

And there I stopped. Many small issues and one big issue checked off this week.
    Last edited by cnutting; 07-08-2017 at 09:01 PM.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good. Great info about the door latches. What splashguard is that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I got the splashguard from Nick Acton; Acton Custom Enterprises.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris, Are the front and rear splash shields that are included with the kit used on the 289? The fronts attach to the F-panels and the rears to the frame I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Joel, there is a set of 289-specific wheelwell splash shields with the kit. Haven't made it that far yet...
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Chris,
    Looking great! I am just one step ahead at the moment. Have the gaps trimmed, front of door tips filled to match the cowl, and have about 75% gel coat block sanded. Body has to come off once more to finalize trimming of that rear valence so it doesn't squeak. Some areas of the jambs need filling as they fall away from the line in a few areas, left front side area of trunk opening, right rear side area of hood opening, and both lower door openings, passenger at rear lower half, and driver front lower area. Look close at the trunk lid, mine has a bit of a peak at the front center, and a slight flat spot to the right of that that'll need filling. Haven't blocked the rear lower section of body or trunk yet. I have the front splash panels cleco'd in place for now, and have just test fitted the rear wheel well panels. Looks like there will be some gaps that will need caulking. The passenger rear panel for the rear of the wheel well is not cut out to go around the fuel pipe, so presume not 289 specific. Doors, sills, and front fenders ahead of the doors will need quite a bit of filling and blocking to get straight. Hood will need some fill in the area where the latch handles go. There are two dips in the body, one on each side behind where the rear hood opening curves on each side that'll need filling.
    I'll let you know what else I find as I block sand so you can look closely at yours when you get to that stage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Chris-
    Can you share where your shifter handle came from? Looks perfect and lower than the one on the FF 289 demo I saw this past week at EAA Airventure.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Howdy. I got the shift handle from ********** Accessories. It's intended for the 289s.
    Chris
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast