Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cutting oil

Post Thanks / Like

Cutting oil

I'm about to start drilling and riveting my aluminum panels. I've seen kits include a hundred 1/8 drill bits which indicates to me that you would not use cutting oil. Is there a reason not to use oil ?
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Other than the mess there no reason not to. I have built nearly 60 kits and have never felt the need to use oil.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I go through maybe 5-6 during a complete build. Sometimes they break. Sometimes they just get dull and stop cutting. No oil. One hundred bits would be crazy...
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dunno about a hundred, but also pretty amazed that Paul has only broken 5-6 during a build! I've broken or thrown out way more than that during my one build - maybe 20 or 30?

I used cutting oil only in a few unusually difficult situations, not the vast majority of the holes.
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cutting oil keeps the bit cool, lubricates the flutes, clears chips faster, and makes for a cleaner hole. When I did all my panels, I put a small amount in the cap, and dipped the end of the bit in to that. It doesn't make much of a mess, because you're only using a tiny drop.

I also suggest buying a Drill Dr. The ability to sharpen bits often will really make your life a lot easier. It's a small investment with a huge return.

I only used 1-2 #30 drill bits during the build. And I'm still using one of those bits now. I think I lost the other one.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a product similar to this. Once the bit is warm it will melt a perfect amount on the tip. One tub will last many years. I've have mine over 20.
    245AB53022A4421F986C6C651416DDD5.jpg
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 on Mike's paste. It is also a bit cleaner than cutting oil, although just dipping the bit in a bit of oil (as Bob describes above) is far cleaner than spraying the area to be drilled or spraying the drill bit itself.

I only used 3 or 4 bits, mostly because I broke them, with only one becoming unserviceable due to becoming dull. I found a five pack of Bosch bits on Amazon for only a few dollars, and they have worked very well.

Best of luck as you get started!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys !