BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2016 WERC #1 Video- Racing In The Rain

Post Thanks / Like

2016 WERC #1 Video- Racing In The Rain

Sorry about the picture quality at the start. Get through the in car qualifying, which lasts about 2 minutes, and the race footage is much better.

Had some other errors, so I am addressing, re-rendering, and will post the new address ASAP.

Here you go. Not perfect, but a little better...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO3Yyv6XbEc
    Last edited by crash; 03-22-2016 at 04:15 PM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Well done Crash. Video can never capture the sphincter clinching moments of racing in the rain. Fun video to watch. Hey maybe all this rain in California is going to work out for you guys. The GTM and team PTG are made to run in the rain!
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, as bad as the video quality was, I included the qualifying lap(which wasn't the fastest, but definitely the scariest) just to show how easily the car can get out of shape. That's a hydroplane at better than 100 MPH. Carl said that definitely got his attention, and you(I mean all readers) can tell if you have done some racing that Carl was a bit taken out of his groove by the front straight boble. Took him a turn or two to regain his composure and get back at the throttle with any conviction. Remember, this is only his second time in the car, and the first couple laps on rain tires. He does come from a background of running the 24 hours of Nurburgring though, so he did quite well in his recovery. These cars are a handful in the dry, and can get crazy very quickly in the rain.

You can see just how slow others were going, and how unpredictable they were when he passes that second car. Obviously he also had some issues with visibility as well due to the rain.

The video doesn't really convey this, but it was raining pretty hard. I showed some of the rear shots specifically to show how much water was on the track and was being picked up by my newly added under car aero package. It was very evident that we are now turning that under car air and using it. Rain racing is really the only way we can validate for sure if what I did actually worked, and the rooster tail out the back said that we are going in the right direction. I have some more details to work on, and we are working on a shock deal and a regear of the transaxle, so definitely some fine tuning being done to try and continue our record of being faster every time we go to the track.

Problem for us right now is that the shock company wants to run three private test days and send their engineers out(for almost free) with a bunch of different shocks to try, but when you factor in the cost to rent the track, travel, tires, and fuel, we are probably talking $6,000 or so to do this. That's an expensive set of shocks! Unfortunately, I just don't think we have that in the budget right now for a set of shocks.
    Last edited by crash; 03-22-2016 at 05:34 PM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Well Done Folks!!!!
    Carl just proved that smooth and consistent plus some wet weather tires wins the race.
    Cheers,
    Dave

GTM # 294 Build Start Date 10/12/2009,
    2000 C5 Donor, LS-1 Twin Turbo, AC/Heat, G50-20.02 6 speed, Brandwood Cable shifter
    Build site. http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/dfraser/

Post Thanks / Like
    Very impressive, I enjoyed watching the video. I don't go on the track when wet yet, but good to know with the right tires (and driver) this car will perform.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    it was raining pretty hard. I showed some of the rear shots specifically to show how much water was on the track and was being picked up by my newly added under car aero package. It was very evident that we are now turning that under car air and using it. Rain racing is really the only way we can validate for sure if what I did actually worked, and the rooster tail out the back said that we are going in the right direction. I have some more details to work on, and we are working on a shock deal and a regear of the transaxle, so definitely some fine tuning being done to try and continue our record of being faster every time we go to the track.

Problem for us right now is that the shock company wants to run three private test days and send their engineers out(for almost free) with a bunch of different shocks to try, but when you factor in the cost to rent the track, travel, tires, and fuel, we are probably talking $6,000 or so to do this. That's an expensive set of shocks! Unfortunately, I just don't think we have that in the budget right now for a set of shocks.
    Yep I noticed the shape of the spray behind the car. Clearly your aero package is having a significant impact. I'll grab some video under the same conditions and we can compare notes.

Regarding the shocks you can pickup a set of ohlins shocks with my valving. We are running are the same spring rates I think. Their shop is at sanoma. A scooter ride from the pits. So you could get the whole thing done revalved and dynoed In between runs!

Just a thought.
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kabacj View Post
    Yep I noticed the shape of the spray behind the car. Clearly your aero package is having a significant impact. I'll grab some video under the same conditions and we can compare notes.

Regarding the shocks you can pickup a set of ohlins shocks with my valving. We are running are the same spring rates I think. Their shop is at sanoma. A scooter ride from the pits. So you could get the whole thing done revalved and dynoed In between runs!

Just a thought.
    We have graduated to a pretty sticky three hour race slick that is the same Hankook tire that is being run in Europe on the prototype cars. With this change we have also changed the spring rates. Rears are now in the 1500 lb range and the fronts are in the 600 lb range. Add in the extra down force and this is why we are looking at a different shock package. Ride heights, rake, dynamic transfers...they are all different with this new equipment.

Ohlins would be great, and I actually have 10 of those in the shop for another project I am working on, but they are pricey. I don't think the FFR PDG Team can afford those at the moment. Guess we need to find some more sponsors!
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts