Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: EZ30R Engine Mounts - Interested?

Post Thanks / Like

EZ30R Engine Mounts - Interested?

I am designing an adapter, to mate the Group-N WRX mounts (sans plate) to the EZ30R. This will be a direct-fit replacement of the 3 legged stock mount. I am considering both the investment in a prototype part, and the quantity that I will have machined of the final parts. I know at least a couple others here are going EZ30R, so I want to see if I can offset my investments by having a few extras made for sale at a reasonable price. Or, maybe someone interested also has access to 3D printing for the proto?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DSR-3 View Post
    I am designing an adapter, to mate the Group-N WRX mounts (sans plate) to the EZ30R. This will be a direct-fit replacement of the 3 legged stock mount. I am considering both the investment in a prototype part, and the quantity that I will have machined of the final parts. I know at least a couple others here are going EZ30R, so I want to see if I can offset my investments by having a few extras made for sale at a reasonable price. Or, maybe someone interested also has access to 3D printing for the proto?
    I have a couple of 3D printers, if you have a 3D model and it fits inside the build envelope I could print it for you.
    818-S 2.5L Turbo Chassis Number: 404
    Kit Order Date: February 19, 2016 Kit Completion Date: March 19, 2016 Kit Ship Date: March 26, 2016 Build Start Date: April 22, 2016
    Build Thread: Click Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidworks-Mike View Post
    I have a couple of 3D printers, if you have a 3D model and it fits inside the build envelope I could print it for you.
    That would be awesome, thanks. I'll PM you when I have a better prelim design for your review. It looks like it will be about 8.1" x 5.6" x 2.5"- will that fit in your machine? *And yes, this is a SW2015 based project!

Post Thanks / Like
    That would be awesome, thanks. I'll PM you when I have a better prelim design for your review. It looks like it will be about 8.1" x 5.6" x 2.5"- will that fit in your machine? *And yes, this is a SW2015 based project!
    That should fit. Let me know when you have a good model, I promise not to critique your modeling skills!
    818-S 2.5L Turbo Chassis Number: 404
    Kit Order Date: February 19, 2016 Kit Completion Date: March 19, 2016 Kit Ship Date: March 26, 2016 Build Start Date: April 22, 2016
    Build Thread: Click Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Great, thanks. And I'm always open to critique (esp. from someone who knows what they are doing), but modeling skills or not I've designed and shipped more than a few products since switching to SW (from the ACAD AME...) 17 years ago!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the first effort design for proto. 'Anybody other than Mike* interested? This may be a very short run of parts (like only mine)... *Thanks for your help!
    EZ30R-MOUNT-ASSY2-a.JPG
    EZ30R-MOUNT-ASSY2-b.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Why don't the ej series work. There have been plenty of ez30s installed in place of ejs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Fair question since I based all of this on the EZ30R 3-legged mount. The 2/3 mounting points that would correspond to the EJ plate have no clearance between them for the studs/nuts of the EJ parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Samiam1017 View Post
    Why don't the ej series work. There have been plenty of ez30s installed in place of ejs?
    The ez mounts can be used in place of the ej. Most people reuse the crappy ez mounts on the swaps. In the 818, that much engine movement will likely result in running.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thx for the replys. What price you think they will come in at. I see it will be an adaptor plate to use the ej mounts? Am I correct

Post Thanks / Like
    Thx for the replys. What price you think they will come in at. I see it will be an adaptor plate to use the ej mounts? Am I correct
    Just looked at the EJ plate vs EZ30R block and it's not even close to fitting. Yes, I'll be making just the blue adapter shown. It would use stock hardware and the EJ/Group N mounts (less the plate) available everywhere for ~$125. Price TBD, I'll as the machine shop once I lock the design. Unfortunately not much response here so they may be 1-off's.IMG_20160404_234110172_lr.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Just seeing this thread, I'd be interested, though I'm not 100% convinced that the ez30 mounts fit the ez36 engine I have.
    The ez30 use's a different method to stop the pitching of the engine than the ez36. Sgt. Gator has done research on this subject in another thread an I haven't verified his findings with my motor yet.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...required-items
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    A BIG thanks to "ufanders" for the rapid prototype! Chassis-fit test next. The machine shop will love having the RP for reference. rp-1a.jpg
    Last edited by DSR-3; 05-01-2016 at 12:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any updates?

Post Thanks / Like
    The accuracy and fit of the RP part were great. I made a couple small tweaks to the design, detailed the left and right sides, and the machine shop is going to make parts in the next month or so. Unfortunately, I just dumped a bunch of "real work" on them, so my side job sits on the sidelines. Also, my laptop got hit with a virus and all of my "818 data" including the CAD work is toast. I can recover some from emails, but I'm not going to do more than needed to get this short-run made. If you're interested, PM me soon and I'll let talk to them about pricing and running 2 sets.

Post Thanks / Like
    are they gonna be sold mounts? and move the motor back can you pm me pricing info thx

Post Thanks / Like
    are they gonna be sold mounts? and move the motor back can you pm me pricing info thx
    "to mate the Group-N WRX mounts (sans plate) to the EZ30R. This will be a direct-fit replacement of the 3 legged stock mount" See the model images above.
    So, no they are not full-solid, and they do not move the engine relative to the stock mounts. You still need to decide if/how you move the engine back or modify the frame to make it fit in the stock location. I'll guess $200-$300 based on only making a couple sets, and you would need to buy the Group-N mounts too at ~$125.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't do it at that price, I'll have to stick with the ones that I have now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not modify the design at this stage to move the engine back a touch as well? The EZ is a tight, tight squeeze in the 818 and killing 2 birds with 1 stone might also increase their appeal.

I'm also curious if a 1 piece solid mount could be manufactured for less total cost than going the adapter/group N mount route.

Post Thanks / Like
    If these plates are used to move the engine back a tad, what would the impact be to the driveshaft clearances and the rear clearance with the bumper? If you move it back, how much distance are we talking about?

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out Wayne's thread, from what he wrote in the first post , the way I read it he used the stock location.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...he-818-IT-FITS

Could have sworn though that I read in another thread that he moved the engine back 1/4".

Post Thanks / Like
    Remember, Wayne used the EZ30D (no variable valve timing). The EZ30R and the EZ36R have cam phasers for the variable valve timing that extend the front timing case forward. If memory serves, I think you need to move the motor/trans combo back 3/4 - 1 in. to clear the engine firewall frame tubes.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    The design is done, and the files are toast- so they are what they are.
    The original idea was that maybe someone other than 818 builders would be interested (can't move the engine), and most importantly, I didn't want to move my engine.
    If all you want is to move the engine back- mod. the mounting points on the chassis and your done.
    I wanted stiffer mounts than stock, but not solid. Yes solid would be cheaper, but getting the (compound) angles right would be even more critical. Probably making separate parts and tack-welding them to fit would be simpler.
    I chose to keep the engine/trans in the "stock" location, and it's installed now with stock EZ30R mounts. I would have had to move it back (almost?) an inch to have the clearance I want, but I moved the frame tube instead. I'll let the guys who opted to push it back comment on that solution.
    I've lost interest in trying to "sell" these. I'll make what I need and if someone else asks in time I'll get another set made.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just thinking out of the box but would Mike possibly have a saves copy of your designed since he critiqued your solid works model and printed it? I'm jumping into this a little late so you can correct me if I'm wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    ...but I moved the frame tube instead.
    Got any pics of that frame modification? I was thinking that may be a better option myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm on the road now but I'll tak a picture when I get home. I had a bunch of the whole process but they're gone too.
    Yea. I'm doing some recovery via emails.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Racer View Post
    Remember, Wayne used the EZ30D (no variable valve timing). The EZ30R and the EZ36R have cam phasers for the variable valve timing that extend the front timing case forward. If memory serves, I think you need to move the motor/trans combo back 3/4 - 1 in. to clear the engine firewall frame tubes.

I recently test fit my ez36, and it looks like I should be able to use the stock mounting location . There's approximately 1/4" to the frame. If I do move the engine back it shouldn't be more than 1/2". I'll have a better idea when I play with it again. One other thing, the further back the engine is moved the less space for the exhaust.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    I recently test fit my ez36, and it looks like I should be able to use the stock mounting location . There's approximately 1/4" to the frame. If I do move the engine back it shouldn't be more than 1/2". I'll have a better idea when I play with it again. One other thing, the further back the engine is moved the less space for the exhaust.
    Please post a pic or two. I am hoping to put in an EZ36 also and would love to not have to move the engine/trans back!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bolted the motor mounts to when engine today. Looks like mounting slots will have to be moved back at least an inch to an inch and one quarter. The passenger side of the timing cover is about 1 1/2" longer than the passenger side and will hit the frame before the motor mount studs reach frame slot. The transmission mount fits though at its most rearward point. The transmission slot could use a little relief too since at its most rearward position the timing cover is between 1/8-3/16" from the frame.

Hopefully an 1 1/8" or so rearward mounting will be within the tolerances for the axles.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Bummer. I was hoping that you had hit on something with the EZ36, but your latest test fit went more like mine did (EZ30R). It that trend continues, don't be surprised if it's even a bit worse once you get the engine down/in place and under it's own weight. It looks like the exhaust cam phaser-hump is as big or bigger than the intake, making interference with the frame cross-tube an issue, so my simple relocation of the diagonal tube would not work. Keep plugging away!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just found out the electronics to run my engines with Motec is going to cost OVER $10,000. Anybody want to buy a cool project or two EZ30 engines?