Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Engine choices: What would you do?

Post Thanks / Like

Engine choices: What would you do?

I am looking for guidance on which is the best path forward to solve my engine problem. My donor is a 2004 sti. Unfortunately, the motor is toast. Including a cracked head and case.

Which is likely to give me the most bang for the buck:
    1) Rebuild the existing 2004 sti motor, add accessport to current ECU, and buy an AWIC;
    2) Buy a low mileage newer (sti?) 2.5L motor, replace ECU, and buy an AWIC; or
    3) Buy a low mileage 3.0/3.6, replace ECU, and no AWIC (can add turbo later down the road).

I plan to buy a wiring harness from iWire or Wayne for any of the paths above. I’ve never been agreeable to dieting of any kind.

As for performance objectives, it’s a street car. I think I would like power approaching 300 whp. Drivability matters. There is value in a smooth torque curve that offsets the overall horsepower needs.

Any thoughts on what might be the most cost effective or most value for dollars spent option in my case?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with the ez36. Keeping it NA, it has its challenges in making it fit and although a turbo can be added IMO the ez30 would be a better choice if a turbo is in its future. Either way an after market ECU and custom exhaust will be needed.
    The 2.5l does have the most support both with FFR and aftermarket.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1) pick up a new STI shortblock and a head, ARP studs new timing set, have the heads done $4200
    2) I'd really really have to know the history of the motor before I wold buy one over option 1
    3)EZ30R with DBW ECU/harness $4000 (with EZ36 $5000) EZ30R with cable throttle and ECU $3200
    The EZ will require custom headers
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Hit the nail on the head Wayne.

You cant beat brandnew over used anyday of the week. Might end up slightly cheaper buying a used motor and shoving it in but who knows how long it will last and you will be back to square one and even more out of pocket.

You mentioned the case was cracked. If the crank, and rods are ok you could look into sourcing some ej207 case halves and rebuilding with new pistons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, guys. Looks like door #1 is the path I need to explore.

One header and the oil cooler were razed off the bottom of the motor. It was a total rollover. Looks like they hit something up front and went rolling. Based on the bullet casings inside the car and bullet holes outside, the driver may have been pushing it for a reason. The kids think its great using parts off what they call, 'the robber car'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    I went with the ez36. Keeping it NA, it has its challenges in making it fit and although a turbo can be added IMO the ez30 would be a better choice if a turbo is in its future. Either way an after market ECU and custom exhaust will be needed.
    The 2.5l does have the most support both with FFR and aftermarket.
    Were you not able to get the factory ECU reprogrammed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Currently there hasn't been any breakthrough with the cracking the factory ECU. However there are efforts in making it work. It just isn't ready yet. There are many aftermarket solutions that can work right now, Wayne from Very Cool Parts, (a forum vendor) does have a solution to the ECU challenge.
    Last edited by flynntuna; 09-01-2016 at 03:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I just found out the electronics to run my engines with Motec is going to cost a whole lot of money.
    Last edited by JB91710; 10-09-2016 at 12:35 PM.