BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The clutch, any modification necessary?

Post Thanks / Like

The clutch, any modification necessary?

So I want to figure this out before I order my transmission, is a cable clutch effort reducer or a hydraulic better? Or have you guys found the clutch isn't bad just totally manual?
    Any input appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't noticed the stock cable setup with mustang pedalbox to be an issue

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    David,

I've used the Mustang cable clutch on 3 Factory Fives ... coupe, Mk3 & Challenge Car. I've had no issues with any of them. Pedal pressure is moderate ... not bad at all.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    DO you have hip or knee problems? I have a stiff racing clutch, and standard manual is fine.

Regards, Mike
    Coupe 258, picked up Mar 11-06, The Jones build site

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are using the wilwood pedal box then go hydraulic buy an external slave kit from Forts parts connection the cable setup on the wilwood box just does not work well and pedal force is very high even higher than a Mustang pedal box.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Coupe 652 and installed the cable actuated clutch system. There was a change in the clutch quadrant in the Wilwood pedalbox shortly before my order. I don't have a racing clutch, but it works fine and requires very reasonable pedal effort. Maybe the change made it better. I like the fact that there is nothing to bleed or fail unless the cable breaks. Pedal effort is nothing like the 66 GTO I used to drive, that made my 17 year old leg shake.

Glen

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a subject that has been discussed over and over, at least on the other forum.

To the OP: the question in post #5 is very relevant - what sort of pedal box and specifically clutch quadrant you have really affects whether or not a hydraulic setup is advised.

To GSides9 (and the OP): FFR have (at least) 3 generations of the Wilwood clutch setup, and (arguably) only the latest one works. This can be identified by the quadrant being assembled straight in line and on top of the pedal. If you have one of the 2 older versions with the quadrant offset to the left of the clutch pedal, well then it might work initially but it WILL break, and a hydraulic conversion is strongly recommended.

i personally have a Forte's external slave hydraulic system with my early ("first gen") FFR Wilwood box, and it works great. Once properly installed it is every bit as reliable as a factory cable setup and certainly more reliable than the original FFR Wilwood contraption. Dunno how it compares to the latest inline/top FFR Wilwood geometry.

Once again, all of this has been documented in great detail on the other forum.
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where is? How do you find the "other forum" ?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris
    If it's too LOUD....you're too OLD!!

Build Site >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/51103049@N00/collections/

FFR#0441CP Complete Coupe kit, IRS, T-5, 392ci 351W, Webers, Delivered 4/29/09

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to ask if you had tried to google "factory five forum" but Chris is much more helpful.

FWIW, ffcars was the only place for us to hang out for a number of years, before Factory Five decided to start their own forum. Some of the old timers (like me) continue to post there more than here out of force of habit. In practice ffcars is the better resource for the "old FFRs" like the Roadster and Coupe while this place is much better for the "new FFRs" like the 818 and 33.

Out of sheer coincidence, just today I started a new thread there about hydraulic clutch slave cylinder adjustments...http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...h-preload.html
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok thanks guys! So it's actually a completely different forum... Factory five forum.... And this is THE factory five forum lol
    I've run acrossed it before and my password didn't work... Thought maybe I was to new and wasn't worthy yet lol
    Guess I need to register for that one too. Oh boy more reading!!! ��