BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Member - California

Post Thanks / Like

New Member - California

I'm Jack from Paso Robles in California. My grand kids call me Papa Jack, hence my member name. Building a hot rod has been a dream and desire of mine for many, many years but a 28 year military career, raising a family, too many moves to count, and second career have kept me very busy. Several years ago I came across the Factory Five 33 Hot Rod kit and I was hooked. Now, with the blessing of my bride of more than 30 years, I have the go ahead to pursue this bucket list adventure.

Placed my order a couple of weeks ago for a March delivery and now I'm about as giddy as an eight-year old on Christmas eve. I've scoured through the forum and build pages and I'm very impressed, inspired and motivated by the exceptional skill and craftsmanship many have displayed in their builds. Kudos and respect to all in forging a path through many challenges that I know I will benefit from. My skills are pretty pedestrian and I think I know my limits but I'm not afraid to venture and learn by experience.

I've spent the last three weeks cleaning out the garage and inventoring and purchasing tools in preparation. My thanks to the recommended tool list in the build manual and to those who added supplemental tool requirements I found throughout the forum.

So, here is what I'm initially considering for my build. Let me say that FFR had a year end sale and I scored on items I wanted in my build saving me a boat load of money going in.
    - Complete kit with;
    - Powder coat frame
    - 3 Link upgrade (year end sale - no charge)
    - Rear exit exhaust system
    - Sound insulation kit
    - Chrome tilt steering column (year end sale - no charge)
    - A/C kit
    - Bike fender kit (year end sale - no charge)
    - Electric power steering
    - Standard 8.8 rear axle
    - 11.65 rear bake set

- Engine and Transmission
    - Chevy 383 ci w/Fuel Injection / 430HP from BluePrint Engine (with apologies to the Ford purist)
    - 700R4 automatic transmission. Knees getting too old to slam gears.

- Wheels and Tires
    - US Wheel smoothies. 8x15 front and 10x15 rear. I lean more toward "old school" look
    - Mickey Thompson tires. Front - Sportsman S/R, LT 26x10R15; Rear - Sportsman S/R, LT 26x12R15. I'm pretty sure these will work.

- Also planned
    - Boyd fuel tank
    - QA1 shocks and springs
    - Convertable top
    - Whitby power brakes
    - Body paint -- no decision just yet.

Building this hot rod will be about the coolest thing I've ever attempted. Looking forward to delivery, and the fun and challenges of building my bucket list hot rod.

My best to all,
    Papa Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and Welcome! Let us know if there is anything we can help you with.

i.e.427

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the madness Jack! I'm a few hours south of you in Simi Valley and am just starting on my '33 build. Most of the details differ from yours, but there's still a lot in common that everyone on the forums is happy to share. Also, I have a friend living in Paso who is an antique car guy - but more into BMW's and tractors than our style of hot rod. However, I'm sure he would be available to help if you need an extra set of hands on occasion. PM me and I will give you his contact info. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Jack and thanks for your service.
    JR

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your service Jack and welcome home. I've been wild boar hunting a few times in your area and have some great memories (and stories) about those adventures. It looks like you're off to a good start and timed the purchase just right to get significant discounts on options. Hard to beat the SBC for inexpensive power in your pseudo replica Ford. There are a few of us with SBC power, which when I was a kid was the most popular engine in any hot rod. There are some building hemi powered rods which is the coolest power I can think of. Have fun with the build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Keith,
    PM sent. Many thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    JR,
    Many thanks. We moved out here from northern Virginia (Manassas) back in 2011. Spent ten years out there working for the Army in Crystal City as a contractor and DA Civilian.

Post Thanks / Like
    Naz,
    Many thanks. Still serving the military as a civilian out here at Ft. Hunter Liggett. Can't seem to get enough of the Army. Seeing wild pigs along with elk, deer, coyotes, and many small critters is not uncommon on the drive to work from Paso. Looking forward to the build.

Post Thanks / Like
    i.e. 427,
    Many thanks. Reading though the forum threads I can sense the comradery and he community pulling together to help all for a successful build. Excited to get started.

Post Thanks / Like
    PM sent with my friend Bill's contact info. Seems like you're off to a great start. Now you just have to learn how to post photos so the rest of us can drool over your work.
    Keith

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Papa_Jack,

There's More Than One Mighty Mouse Motor Fan In The Factory Five Family!

https://youtu.be/3f1Q4aS5SG4

Welcome Aboard & I Almost Went Down The 33 Hot Rod Path!

Steve