Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Front Inner CV

Post Thanks / Like

Front Inner CV

I have a 2003 WRX donor with the female type front inner CV. I am trying to remove the axle shaft from the inner CV but it will not come out. It does not appear to have a tri-lobe like the directions say. Any suggestions on how to remove the shaft from that CV? I have tried knocking it off, similar to removing the outer CV, but that is not working, and I do not see a wire clip holding it in. thought? suggestions? hit it harder??

thanks

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mquam99 View Post
    I have a 2003 WRX donor with the female type front inner CV. I am trying to remove the axle shaft from the inner CV but it will not come out. It does not appear to have a tri-lobe like the directions say. Any suggestions on how to remove the shaft from that CV? I have tried knocking it off, similar to removing the outer CV, but that is not working, and I do not see a wire clip holding it in. thought? suggestions? hit it harder??

thanks
    Clean it up the best you can and take a picture and post it. Then I could give advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up getting the axle out with a big hammer. Turns out I have two different inner CV joints. one is the tri-lobe and the other looks similar to the outer joint on the front. Guess I am going to need to find a replacement inner joint. Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    mquam99,

We just got to this stage of our build, and low and behold we have the same issue. One of our inner CV's is tri-lobe and the other looks like the standard race/cage setup of an outer CV (see picture).

What did you end up doing? Did anyone else out there have the same issue? If so can we just use the inner with the race/cage setup or will that cause issues with our 818? Our donor was using it so that kind of implies that it should be no big deal.

Thanks,
    - Lou
    Building an 818C
    Ordered: 8/31/15, Production Date: 1/23/16, Delivery Date: 2/05/2016
    First Start: 4/14/2017
    818C Build Thread
    Donor Teardown Thread

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    My guess it that these were both passenger side? They're known for failing boots are requiring replacement due to their location near the exhaust.

In any case, the 818 has much less requirement for angularity in the joints (no steering, less suspension travel) so that part won't be an issue.

What could be a major issue is if the splines are different as the FFR replacement axles won't fit. If you still have the shaft from the tri-lobed side, see if it fits. If it's different, you have a problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got to this point in my build and...guess what?! I have the same issue!

Yes, mine is from the passenger side. Cannot get it off...using a BIG hammer too. Keep wailing on it? I noticed one of the splines on the cage is marked with a "Y"

Any suggestions?

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are a couple posts on alternates to the hammer method. Using inertia to pop the cv apart I think can apply a lot more force with less effort. Mine is one... http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...issy-made-easy

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the technique...It worked...however, as mentioned in an above post, the FFR replacement axles do not fit the race/cage and require the Tri-lobe configuration.

Look for my post in "Want to Buy" for an inner CV & Tri-lobe :-(