Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 vs. Roadster builds

Post Thanks / Like

818 vs. Roadster builds

I really, really, really shouldn't be thinking about this, but for those of you who have built both a Roadster and an 818, how does the experience differ? Is the Roadster package more refined? Do the years that it's been available result in a significantly more trouble-free assembly? Is it much harder or easier to build a Roadster than an 818? Is there anything else I should know before I dive into another FFR project?

(Yes, my 818 isn't truly finished, and probably never will be. But I drive it daily and am itching to start another project. I enjoyed building the 818 so much, that I'm getting obsessed with the idea of building another FFR.)

Has this been addressed in another thread? If so, I haven't found it yet.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I sort-of qualify as someone who has built both, in that I attended the build school for the roadster and am nearing completion of my 818 (still have to finish the body and interior install). I did the build school to have a fun week getaway and be around like-minded motor heads and FFR experts.

So based on that, I would say the Roadster is much easier to complete than the 818. I think the only thing more difficult about the roadster is that the body has seams which guarantee you will need to do some sanding and filling while the 818 (at least the older front-end version of it) could get away without any body work (if you aren't very picky). You have a lot less wiring to do with the roadster and things are just much more simple. The build school date I attended had a brand new MK4 roadster fresh from FFR that had never been touched. The thing was put together in three days and it wasn't that big of a deal at all. Very straight forward and easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have built both a Roadster (Mk3) and an 818. I would say they are roughly equal in difficulty. The only thing on the 818 I would say was more complicated was dieting the wiring harness. If you went with a 3rd party supplied harness on the Roadster and 818, they would be back to roughly equal. The biggest differentiation would then be the body as Hindsight mentioned. The Roadster has mold lines, but I understand even those have been tightened down quite a bit over the years.

You can see where generations of the Roadster have honed the process (ie less aluminum trimming and random "light" fabrication) but it doesn't translate to much of a difference in terms of hours or build difficulty based on my experience. I found the forums to be more helpful with the 818, but I attribute that more to a younger generation of builders and being almost a decade further along in the internet era than anything. The Roadster knowledge base is very deep at this point and would likely be just as helpful during a build now.

Background for full context:
    I built the Mk3 ~10 years ago from a donor fox body mustang. I had done lots of little mods to cars and restored a WWII jeep, but this was certainly the biggest project I had done to that point. With the 818, I was working in familiar territory as I had owned Subaru's for ~10 years and had built the Roadster. As a result, my memory likely deceives me a bit and the Roadster is probably easier. Even still, now that you have done one before and can put yourself into the "what was FFR thinking when they wrote this instruction" mindset, you would likely find it "trouble-free" as you put it.

Good luck with whatever route you decide to take!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have built a early challenge car and now an 818 R (so both were early in the product cycle), the challenge car was far easier to build and less time and money. The money part somewhat has to deal with the availability of parts (I find Subaru parts more expensive and harder to find then Ford parts). The 818 has more moving parts than the challenge car, while the body on the challenge car was a pain to work on, it was one piece and easier to align to frame.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    In 2007 I bought a Mk3 roadster kit because there was a well-worn path and lots of online help. I was scared I couldn't do it but thoroughly enjoyed building, driving, upgrading and selling #6228. Then, confident in my building skills, I bought a very early 818S kit, #25, because there was no path and I'd be a pioneer. The 818 has also been lots of fun but, for me, it's been more difficult because I knew nothing about Subarus, turbos, DBW, TGV, BOV, and (add more acronyms), plus there was nobody with wiring solutions then so I had to diet the donor wiring. As an old guy I have thoroughly enjoyed learning the new stuff and trying to make the path a little smoother for those following. Now, Factory Five and hundreds of builders have cleared many hurdles so I think the 818 build becomes easier, faster and more trouble-free every day.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an MK II that took about 5 years to build. The forums were a big help as others blazed a trail for me to follow. I am hoping this forum will do the same as I get ready to build my "C", as it is still about a year away.
    My roadster in pieces as I modify/upgrade/change/ things I should have done 10 years ago ( power brakes, dual roll bar, defroster, new seats, air vents, drop butt mod ) -
    I anxiously read what others are doing here with their 818,so I don't make the same mistakes again.
    I bought my first Scooby back in the 80s, I have a pretty good knowledge base on them, currently on our 5th.
    My son is starting college, and is currently driving our donor (04 RS) -so I sourced an ej207 & 5sp, now sitting in the garage.
    A big concern is the same things I did with the cobra - the only donor parts that haven't been replaced are the rear end/ front spindles and engine block. Am I going to run into the same issue with a new build ?
    With the vendors on this site, I think the build will be easier (as they have great tested products) that at least seem to make easier to assemble.
    I am a bit intimidated by the potential of this build. The HP to WT ratio will be close to if not more than my roadster (which honestly scared me a few times).
    Cant wait to place the order, by then there should be about another 100 new products out there for these cars !

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    The roadster is by far easier IMO. Both are cool kits.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been lucky enough to complete two Father Son builds, first was my Dad's car an MK3 Roadster in 2008 and next was my 818s in 2014. Given our experiences in both I would have to argue that the MK3 was much easier to complete. Just the body work alone is far better as everything was one piece and you didn't have to align all the panels and especially the headlight buckets (on the original 818 nose). Now I am currently on to fine tuning the body work on the 818 and I am having to do almost the same process as the MK3... So I almost consider the body work double.

As for the mechanical build times we both worked on these cars over the university Summer term break ~3 months (dad started his during a sabbatical). We were able to finish the 818 in a month of build time, with a half a month of donor disassembly and rebuilding parts. For the 818 build I would definitely recommend buying a donor subaru to complete it. However, for the Roadster I would not. We found it almost easier to buy new parts and source used parts on Kijiji. You end up using a lot less of the donor from the Mustang which is what we found out.

One thing I have to say is I am having a lot more fun upgrading the 818 as it is more down my alley with a subaru chassis and there a loads of aftermarket parts out there for them.

Hope you can get something out of that opinion, if you have any questions I would more than willing provide the best answer I can.

Ian