Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Engine temp?

Post Thanks / Like

Engine temp?

Hi guy's......I have a 302 with carb setup. Electric fan. The car seems to run @ 210 when hot. Is this a normal running temp or too hot......Charlie

Post Thanks / Like
    Water boils a 212F so theoretically it's safe if you are running a 14 psi cap and glycol. That said, it seems too hot in the real world. It should run near the rating for the thermostat. The fan should come on about 5* over the t-stat rating. I run a 192* stat and the car runs between 185* and 195*. The fan cycles on at 195*.

Some carb guys run a 180* stat and that's fine but I would not run any lower than that.

Greg
    Last edited by Greg_M; 05-29-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    How can you affect that? I over heated today. I have a 352W and the temperature was around 90% today. When I pulled into my house my radiator resevoir was busting and steam and antifreeze were bursting out. The temp gauge read 120. What can I do to prevent over heating? SHould I just watch it and pull over?
    Another thing, the car has been parked for quite a while and the gauge is still near 100 c. is that normal?

sorry for the basic questions, but at this stage I want to be sure of everything I do.
    thanks.
    Last edited by Rome; 05-31-2011 at 10:43 PM.