FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hardtop Glass Fitment

Post Thanks / Like

Hardtop Glass Fitment

Checking to see if anyone can post a few pictures of the windshield and rear glass fitment on the hardtop? A few good views from inside and outside would be helpful. Thanks.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I took the whole top to Mauldin's Auto Glass and they just glued them in centered in the openings. I thought it came out great, IMO. Check out my build thread.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e18-s-33-build

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Wallace18, Thank You. Yes they did a very nice job. By chance are there pics from the inside? I am trying finish up the body work prep on the hardtop and just want to see what the inside looking out view looks like around that windshield and back window lip/edge. (i.e., should I trim it down a bit or leave it with the cut Factory Five made...Round off the top edge on the inside or leave it flat?) Not much reference materials around that I could find so any lessons learned for best fit/appearance is appreciated. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    What did you end up doing with windows in 33 top?

Post Thanks / Like
    partially on subject: has anyone figured a way to make the hard top front windshield pop out at the bottom like the cars of that era?. Would be cool to have the ventilation and the look would be killer..

Post Thanks / Like
    It is doable, but need metal frame to support the glass . Because the window is curved would need the henges to be at the same place in from each side . The slides to hold window open or closed is not bad to build, and would fit on inside of A pillar. Because of curved window the air flow is going to be strange- window open at top.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen the original 33 crank mechanisms for sale. These are center hung rather than the A-pillar brackets. Wonder if hinges like used on van and truck side windows would work without having to use a windshield frame?? These are usually a pair of single hinges that are attached through holes in the glass. I know the windshield safety glass is not as hard as the side window glass but it is a very small windshield so maybe??? Just have to drill the glass and I've seen drills specifically for this. Maybe one of the vendors that specialize in FFR kit cars would take this on and produce a windshield kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    While we're speaking of winshields, what about windshield wipers? Are they even available?

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, there are several options. I got my single wiper from Speedway Motors as all I need is enough to make me legal as my car will never be in the snow or rain. You can also get dual wipers if you plan to run in the rain.

Post Thanks / Like
    No frame window would be for low speed only. The air going over and around glass will make some strange forces.

Post Thanks / Like
    The window seal would be easy. Frame or glass would need to be waxed then put silicone in body and close window, clean outside and let set. This would need to be the last thing done so it would stay the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not that i want an opening window, but the idea got me thinking!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, keep thinkin', that's how things get done. . Seeya next time you go through here?
    Tom Enloe