Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: body buck needed for '33 Hot Rod storage?

Post Thanks / Like

body buck needed for '33 Hot Rod storage?

I'm thinking of hanging the body from the ceiling for storage and saw that the roadster guys usually build a body buck to support the body when it's not mounted on the chassis. Is a buck necessary/desirable for the '33 Hot Rod? If so, are there plans available? I'm concerned that the fiberglass will distort over time if I just hang it from hooks or something.
    Thanks,
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is mine, no plans, but simple to build...

I built it from the crate material so it cost me nothing.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I see you are supporting the body from below - as have some others. Thanks for sharing your approach.
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post
    I'm thinking of hanging the body from the ceiling for storage and saw that the roadster guys usually build a body buck to support the body when it's not mounted on the chassis. Is a buck necessary/desirable for the '33 Hot Rod? If so, are there plans available? I'm concerned that the fiberglass will distort over time if I just hang it from hooks or something.
    Thanks,
    Keith
    This is a great topic for anyone prepping for delivery. Would like to ignite some more feedback here on the subject. Can anyone offer any plans, dimensions, additional input or photos? Thanks
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mine sits on the shop floor or outside (when it's not snowing) or on a chassis dolly when not mounted on the chassis. All these methods leave it sitting on the rocker panels. That body is so warped out of the mold I don't worry about it getting worse sitting around. As long as it's being held up by the rockers I don't see any problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's my storage idea, it also allows me to install and remove the body by myself in less than a minute.
    HTH
    cus2 (1024x768).jpg
    DB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    Here's my storage idea, it also allows me to install and remove the body by myself in less than a minute.
    HTH
    cus2 (1024x768).jpg
    DB
    That's pretty sharp! Is that a purchased contraption or did you make that?
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JOP33 View Post
    That's pretty sharp! Is that a purchased contraption or did you make that?
    What; no comment about all the custom 33 parts in the foreground

I changed the crank and use my 18V dewalt drill so I can run that one handed and guide the body by myself
    They sell all over the internet, I found this one half price at a sears outlet. They usually ran about $200 but I haven't looked in a couple years.

They are made as a garage storage set-up. You mount it to the ceiling and store luggage, tires, sports eqpt. etc. I put unistrut channels in the web
    of my roof trusses and hung the unit on all thread so the unit is very stable and not hanging from lag bolts that could damage the joists or pull out.
    In my case the front mounts go down through the rollcage holes but anything under the cowl/dash area should work.
    DB