Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Prepping a donor before moving

Post Thanks / Like

Prepping a donor before moving

So, I have a plan to eventually build an 818C using my current daily driver 2005 WRX.

Soon, I'll be making a move that will just be for one year, but I will have lots of time off and was considering going ahead and doing donor prep. Does this seem like a good idea? Or would it be a terrible idea since I'd have to scoop everything up and move it before being able to build the kit?

Thanks for the feedback!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The donor parts required are really not that numerous/cumbersome; besides the the motor/trans, nothing else would be too difficult to move if you're organized. If you're committed to building an 818, and confident you can complete the tear-down, and sell off and/or dispose of the unneeded parts (including the body) before having to move, then take advantage of the time; it's good to start the build with your donor parts already stripped and prepped. However, it would be a RPITA if you're only half-way through the process and have a partially stripped car and big pile of unneeded parts you have to move.

Post Thanks / Like
    Having done what you are contemplating, moving after donor tear down before my kit arrived. It wasn't too bad, as Wheehenrick points out sell off parts you won't need before the move. I picked up a bunch of plastic stackable bin's to store parts before and after prep. I kept related parts together, Label everything. Keep all nuts and bolts you will need from the donor with the part you will be using from the donor. Keep all the nuts and bolts you take off, I separated them by size and thread pitch, you never know what you might need late at night. If you think you might need it keep it.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a picture I took of 90% of the donor stuff ready to install when I finally got my first 818S I built. It will give you an idea of how much we are talking about.

818s 002.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    My first piece of advice is.
    Don't take apart a running 05 WRX.
    I picked up an coparts 05 FXT 90K for $2500.
    If your situation changes after a year, you will only be out $2500 or less if you sell off all the un-needed parts.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with Bob. A running WRX is an asset. Don't tear apart a good, running, car. Sell it if you must and buy a crashed out something.
    Fast Cars, Fast Women, Fast Haircuts!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the input. It makes a lot of sense! My thought on using my running WRX is more of a sentimental thing since I bought it new and thought it would be nice to carry it on. But financially, what you all are saying makes a great deal more sense.

I've really enjoyed following all the build threads here and am amazed at what everyone has accomplished.

Thanks again!