Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HB_Ryan Roadster Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

HB_Ryan Roadster Build Thread

Hey Guys, first time builder of the Mark IV Roadster. I live in Huntington Beach, CA married with 3 kids. Below is my order i placed with FFR

Order Date: 4/4/16
    Delivery Date: 4/30/16

Mark IV Complete Kit
    Powder Coated chassis
    Body cut outs
    Black Leather Seats
    8.8 3 link rear end
    Stainless side exhaust
    Chrome Roll bar (driver side)
    302 Headers
    28 Spline 10.625" Driveshaft
    18" Halibrand Wheels
    Nitto Tires
    Hood Scoop
    302 350 HP Engine Factory
    T 5 manual

Tony at FFR snapped this pic as they are loading up the FFR 18 wheeler

IMG_9808-ConvertImage.jpg

Engine Factory Build pics

IMG_1896.jpgIMG_1898.jpgIMG_1900.jpgIMG_1901.jpgIMG_1904.jpgIMG_1905.jpgIMG_1909.jpg
    Last edited by HB_Ryan; 04-22-2016 at 12:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Ryan! Enjoy it!!!! My delivery date is the 26th so my kit is probably on the same truck! Everyone is very helpful here as well as the other site ffcars. Com. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Good luck! Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ken. FFR is coming to a show in Huntington Beach and put the roadster on their 18 wheeler. I bypassed Stewart transportation and get mine a few weeks early

Post Thanks / Like
    That worked out good!!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on your choice and welcome to the fun of building. That engine sounds sweet and looks good too. Keep the pictures coming!
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bking View Post
    Congratulations on your choice and welcome to the fun of building. That engine sounds sweet and looks good too. Keep the pictures coming!
    Thanks!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations & Welcome To The Factory Five Family!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ryan,

Congratulations on the delivery of the roadster and the start of your build ... the process is a fantastic experience and the help of all the folks on this forum and the other one really are a brain trust of lessons learned, skills and experience that will help you along the way.

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    DELIVERY DAY!
    My family and I attended the HB cruise in and the Factory Five Big rig stopped by my house right after the show. Unfortunately Scott from FFR could not pull that beast onto my street so we had to offload and push the chassis a block to get to my house. Inventory is done. Missing items that were checked off as complete. Is this a common thing?
    IMG_2675.JPGIMG_2687.JPGIMG_2696.JPGIMG_2698.JPGIMG_2704.JPGIMG_2706.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Missing items checked as complete? Not completely unheard of, but rare. Give the factory a call and they will make it right and add those items to the backlog list.

Let me know if you want to get together to compare notes or look at a few completed cars. I have a lift, so you can check out how some stuff was done from underneath.

Congratulations!!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Missing items checked as complete? Not completely unheard of, but rare. Give the factory a call and they will make it right and add those items to the backlog list.

Let me know if you want to get together to compare notes or look at a few completed cars. I have a lift, so you can check out how some stuff was done from underneath.

Congratulations!!

Thanks David for having me over at your house. I hope to have my car completed by next year for the next BBQ and Cruise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ryan-

Congratulations on your decision, and getting the car delivered. Also looks like a great engine choice!

I had one or two items marked off as present in my kit, but were not in my inventory. It happens; simply managing the number of parts and orders, getting momentarily distracted, or make a mistake in transcription, it is pretty amazing how few mistakes really get made. FFR does a pretty good job, and I have never heard of them not making things right, and have with the few issues I have had. Give them a shout.

Best of luck as you get started. Please feel free to keep us updated. We look forward to watching your progress!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Ryan,

Great meeting you at Dave's and at the show. I am proof that these cars can be successfully built with small children in the picture. We had a lot of that in common going on! Yes, its a simple equation - you sleep less to make progress on the car. As long as the kids and the wife are actually sleeping and you escape to the garage its all good. Whatever it takes....

Keep in touch.

Kevin
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Ryan, I missed meeting you at the show (I was a little busy) but glad that you had a good time. Double check your list as sometimes a part is checked that is attached to the frame or not what you think it should be. Enjoy your build and I will look for your roadster at next years show.
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HB_Ryan View Post
    DELIVERY DAY!
    My family and I attended the HB cruise in and the Factory Five Big rig stopped by my house right after the show. Unfortunately Scott from FFR could not pull that beast onto my street so we had to offload and push the chassis a block to get to my house.
    How did she handle?

Inventory is done. Missing items that were checked off as complete. Is
    Told ya. Yes it is common. It was pretty bad with my car. I think some of them spend time in the fiberglass curing area during lunchtime for some free uptime if you know what I mean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post

Told ya. Yes it is common. It was pretty bad with my car. I think some of them spend time in the fiberglass curing area during lunchtime for some free uptime if you know what I mean.
    Haha I hear ya. I don't envy the guy packing parts all day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Weekend build update-

All panels were taken off and labeled. F panels were held in place with cleco's as my rivet package from FFR was not in any box during inventory however it was marked as complete.

IMG_2762.JPG

Upper and Lower control arms were installed. I couldn't finish because my Front Koni shocks are on back order. I did notice if you follow the torque settings outlined in the manual, if virtually impossible to rotate the arms. It seems like the UCA and LCA boots get stuck during rotation.

IMG_2771.JPGIMG_2772.JPG

I will probably tackle the fuel tank and pedal box assembly this week. Unfortunately I'm bouncing around to different items as I'm missing parts that were checked off or they are on backorder. Any suggestions on what i should work on next?

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would mark and drill all the aluminum panels, then fuel tank and pedal stuff. Paint or powder coat all parts that need to be. That way when your other stuff arrives you can really move along.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    I would mark and drill all the aluminum panels, then fuel tank and pedal stuff. Paint or powder coat all parts that need to be. That way when your other stuff arrives you can really move along.
    Awesome thanks. Ive been following your build, looks great!
    MKIV Roadster #8862
    Order Date- 4/4/16
    Delivery Date- 4/30/16
    Completion 1/15/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ryan,
    You may want to check your upper control arms. A number of us received them assembled incorrectly. I think yours may need to be flipped as well.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cnutting View Post
    Hi Ryan,
    You may want to check your upper control arms. A number of us received them assembled incorrectly. I think yours may need to be flipped as well.
    Chris
    Are the zerks facing up or down for correct install?
    MKIV Roadster #8862
    Order Date- 4/4/16
    Delivery Date- 4/30/16
    Completion 1/15/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ryan,
    The zerks face up, but the balljoint needs to angle out. From the pictures, it looks like yours are angling in. Take a look again at the picture in the manual. I think you need to disassemble the UCAs and swap the plates around. You will need to remove the balljoints and reinstall once the plates are correct.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cnutting View Post
    Hi Ryan,
    The zerks face up, but the balljoint needs to angle out. From the pictures, it looks like yours are angling in. Take a look again at the picture in the manual. I think you need to disassemble the UCAs and swap the plates around. You will need to remove the balljoints and reinstall once the plates are correct.
    Chris
    Thanks Chris. I think your right. What a pain in the *** to get the ball joint out. I guess its good that we caught that problem now and not later.
    MKIV Roadster #8862
    Order Date- 4/4/16
    Delivery Date- 4/30/16
    Completion 1/15/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Best catch it now. I have a nice long list of things to fix this weekend. I think when all is said and done I will have assembled this car 3-4 times...

Post Thanks / Like
    Weekend build update-

Upper and Lower control arms were installed. I couldn't finish because my Front Koni shocks are on back order. I did notice if you follow the torque settings outlined in the manual, if virtually impossible to rotate the arms. It seems like the UCA and LCA boots get stuck during rotation.
    If you are talking about the arms not rotating with the spindles on, it may be the inward facing ball joint on the UCA causing a geometry problem (discussed below).

If you are saying that the LCA is not moving before attaching the spindle then make sure the rubber bushings are okay and not binding. One recommendation from build school is to cut grooves in the rubber face that contacts the frame brackets and line the grooves up with the grooves on the inside of the hole. This will help get lube to the outside. Check out the rubber on the UCA's which has them cut in from the factory. Here is a picture of mine:

DSCF1290.png

They recommend doing this on the rear LCA's too.

I'm only about 7 weeks into my first build and one thing I learned from the school and these forums is; before doing a section in the book, search the forums and read about any gotchas, options, design issues or steps missing/unclear from the book. I think every assembly step and associated issue have been discussed and likely beaten to death. It really gets you ready for what to expect and adds immeasurable confidence when something doesn't seem right. Lot's of great stuff on ffcars.com too.

Good luck
    Doug
    Mk4 Roadster #8843. Kit Pickup: 03/19/2016
    Roush Performance 331 SRXE Crate Engine, TKO-600, 3-link rear, 17x9 and 17x10.5 Halibrand wheels w/ Nitto NT05 tires
    Doug's Mk4 Build Thread - Annapolis, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Doug,

Thank you for the reply. My UCA bracket was assembled wrong and when i put it on (without my knowledge) that caused the lack of rotation. Chris (Cnutting) caught the error in one of my pics. Removed the ball joint and flipped the plate and now i have free rotation. Thanks!
    MKIV Roadster #8862
    Order Date- 4/4/16
    Delivery Date- 4/30/16
    Completion 1/15/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Build Update

Engine aluminum panels were powder coated
    Front Suspension complete
    Wilwood brakes and rotors installed
    Engine and transmission installed
    IMG_2846.JPGIMG_2847.JPGIMG_2848.JPGIMG_2903.JPGIMG_2904.JPGIMG_2907.JPGIMG_2909.JPGIMG_2910.JPG
    MKIV Roadster #8862
    Order Date- 4/4/16
    Delivery Date- 4/30/16
    Completion 1/15/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good! Great progress. Nothing better than an engine install party. One hint. It's hard to tell if you've permanently installed it yet, but the tabs for the inside and top DS footbox panels should go underneath the footbox front panel. Looks better, plus that's how they're intended to be installed.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Looking good! Great progress. Nothing better than an engine install party. One hint. It's hard to tell if you've permanently installed it yet, but the tabs for the inside and top DS footbox panels should go underneath the footbox front panel. Looks better, plus that's how they're intended to be installed.
    Thanks edwardb. Everything is mocked up with cleco's right now. Im doing the final fitment this week.
    MKIV Roadster #8862
    Order Date- 4/4/16
    Delivery Date- 4/30/16
    Completion 1/15/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Ryan, You may want to check out this thread for the proper assembly and lubing of all of the front suspension parts.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...nkeeski+grease

Also, you should keep an eye out on the SoCal forum for our next breakfast, which should be the first week of August. You just missed the one we had this past Saturday.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ay-June-4-2016
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankeeski View Post
    Ryan, You may want to check out this thread for the proper assembly and lubing of all of the front suspension parts.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...nkeeski+grease

Also, you should keep an eye out on the SoCal forum for our next breakfast, which should be the first week of August. You just missed the one we had this past Saturday.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ay-June-4-2016
    Thank you. Great thread! I will definitely checkout the next breakfast
    MKIV Roadster #8862
    Order Date- 4/4/16
    Delivery Date- 4/30/16
    Completion 1/15/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Rear Wilwood Brakes-

I'm installing the rear brakes and I'm getting some conflicting info from the youtube build video and the installation instructions from Wilwood. Should the caliper be facing the cockpit or are they going towards the rear of the vehicle? When I received the box from Wilwood, they are the small parking brake/ combo caliper. Is this normal? I am comparing them to the front calipers.... Any help would be appreciated!! HB Ryan
    MKIV Roadster #8862
    Order Date- 4/4/16
    Delivery Date- 4/30/16
    Completion 1/15/17

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure that this applies since I have the old version of the IRS rear end instead of the 3 link .... but mine are on the aft side ... looking at the hub from the side they are between the 12 and 3 o'clock position. Mine is also the one that uses the main caliper for the parking brake ... no separate parking brake.

IMG_3131.JPG
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlewms View Post
    I am not sure that this applies since I have the old version of the IRS rear end instead of the 3 link .... but mine are on the aft side ... looking at the hub from the side they are between the 12 and 3 o'clock position. Mine is also the one that uses the main caliper for the parking brake ... no separate parking brake.

IMG_3131.JPG
    Thanks Carl. I was pretty sure that they face forward but the directions were unclear. Does your main caliper have 1 piston? Mine looks similar to yours, definitely on the smaller side?IMG_3004.JPG
    MKIV Roadster #8862
    Order Date- 4/4/16
    Delivery Date- 4/30/16
    Completion 1/15/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Build Update-

Headers installed
    Clutch pedal notch for clearance
    Mount and Balanced tire and wheels
    Waiting on lower control arms for rear end install
    Riveting and boom mat install for the cockpit this weekendIMG_2981.JPGIMG_2982.JPGIMG_2983.JPGIMG_3053.JPGIMG_3056.JPGIMG_3059.JPG
    MKIV Roadster #8862
    Order Date- 4/4/16
    Delivery Date- 4/30/16
    Completion 1/15/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks Great Ryan! You are making stellar progress! I like those wheels man!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Great build, looking forward to watching this through.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go Kart yesterday

Yesterday was a good day! Started the engine for the first time and went go karting. Off to the "Bat Cave" next week for paint

IMG_3230.JPGIMG_3231.JPG
    MKIV Roadster #8862
    Order Date- 4/4/16
    Delivery Date- 4/30/16
    Completion 1/15/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Was just there today. He's waiting for you. Color scheme?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast