BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Building #911

Post Thanks / Like

Building #911

I've wanted to build a car for a while. Last December I got home after doing a 9 month deployment to the gulf. And because of the deployment I was able to save the money to get a kit. I spent my free time on deployment researching engines, transmissions, and design ideas. I decided that I wanted to go with a Windsor 302 with an AOD.

I wrestled around with the thought of getting a create engine and tranny, but when it can down to it I didn't want to just buy a turnkey engine and install it. I wanted to build it. I saw a lot of people using donor cars, so I scoured Craig's list for weeks until I found a car with a good solid engine and transmission. So around Dec 25th I found the car I was looking for, and it was cheap, $700. I'll post some picks of the donor car and the engine that I go out of it once I figure out how to.

Post Thanks / Like

welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    I've wanted to build a car for a while. .
    Enjoy the build and make it one of a kind.
    Thanks for your service.

DB
    7.0L Hemi33

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    #911, wow, Maybe we hit 1000 this year! Welcome to the Forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was so excited to get the car in the garage, I forgot to get a pic of it before I started to tear into it. Any way, this the the '88 Thunder Chicken i got my drive train from.

The engine and transmission looked a little rough...Don't mind my messy garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Was the 88 an IRS or a live axle?
    At least keep the rear calipers from it either way. I ended up with those calipers and some brackets from North so I could put 13" rotors on mine.
    Enjoy the build.
    Dale
    Hemi33

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome home Gunner! It looks like you are off to a good start.

I think kit number 911 could have some interesting elements to it.

Best of luck with your progress!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't believe they are almost up to 1000! Good for FFR. That 33 is a great car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    Was the 88 an IRS or a live axle?
    The Thunder chicken ended up not have an 8.8 axle. I got my solid axle from a 1997 Mustang GT I found at a pick and pull. I went with the 4 link.

Last edited by Gunner; 05-05-2016 at 11:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my engine block from the Machine shop the other day. It’s looking great. I decided to paint the block the car's accent color (green). I can’t wait to see what it looks like when I get it together. I’m still a little ways off before I try to start it.

I also got my axle housing back from the powder coaters. I'm going to have a busy weekend. I did have an issue trying to get the front suspension pieces powder coated. The shop didn't want to try because the ball joints were installed. And when I talked to a machine shop, they said that if they try to press out the ball joint that they would damage them. I thought about just going for enamel but I don't think that it would be very durable. One thing that I though could be interesting was using a product like Herculiner on the front suspension. I won’t be able to all the pieces but if I tape off the bars and flat areas right I think it will ok good and be really durable.
    Last edited by Gunner; 05-18-2016 at 05:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good Gunner. The front a-arms can be powercoated.. Others have run into the same issue as you. You just have to get all the grease out of the joints. It takes a while but just soak in your favorite degreaser/carb/brake cleaner of choice and compressed air and repeat several times until it's all out. That's all I did and the powder coater had no problems. If not, try another coater. Good luck and keep up the nice work.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good! Reminds me of my first FFR 33 build I did with a 93 Mustang donor. Came out great, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same issue with the front control arms. My powder coater did not want to do them. I cleaned them with paint thinner and I used brake cleaner after. I had no problem after that.