FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: 818c as a daily driver

Post Thanks / Like

818c as a daily driver

Anyone using or planning to use an 818c for a daily driver? I am thinking of building one for daily driving for 3 seasons. I would appreciate any thoughts on the following:

1. What do you do for heat and defrost? Anyone using the Subaru parts or just aftermarket?
    2. Anyone building these with air conditioning? Around here some years you don't need AC at all, other summers its a must have (northern Illinois).
    3. Any problems with ground clearance? That transition from parking lot to street eats front body parts, particularly when turning.
    4. Visibility in traffic - any nasty blind spots when changing lanes or backing?

Thanks for any input.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anything is possible but I would not suggest it. To each their own but in my experience, you will be happiest with two cars:
    1. A car that is comfortable, reliable, quiet, and gets reasonable gas mileage for whatever kind of commuting you do
    2. A fun, fast, last, raw car to enjoy on the evenings, weekends, and track

I've tried daily driving #2 and all it did was make me hate it and lose appreciation for what it is supposed to be and what it does well.

To more directly answer your questions:
    1+2. People have implemented both. There are several solutions. Use google to search the forums like this: defrost air conditioning site:thefactoryfiveforum.com
    3. Comes with coilovers so you can set it to whatever you want. 4.5" is suggested ride height though which is quite low.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would never use any Kit car as a daily driver. That is just my opinion. They are fantastic to enjoy in spare time and on the track. I have built 6 and owned 4 different ones. You will never be able to come up to OEM type comfort in any type of weather with one IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO a sports car in general does not make for the best daily driver.

On the other hand, if you only could have one car, and cost, reliability, comfort, insurance and room were not factors you might consider the 818C.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Anything is possible but I would not suggest it. To each their own but in my experience, you will be happiest with two cars:
    1. A car that is comfortable, reliable, quiet, and gets reasonable gas mileage for whatever kind of commuting you do
    2. A fun, fast, last, raw car to enjoy on the evenings, weekends, and track
    Strongly agree. I think for the extra money (not to mention the compromise in your 818) you could have an older car that is reliable for daily use + winter.

That said, I think using your fun car as much as possible is awesome. I have seen people drive their Elises a lot of the time (but not quite daily driver use) and I think that's comparable to a well-built 818
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearldrummer7 View Post
    That said, I think using your fun car as much as possible is awesome. I have seen people drive their Elises a lot of the time (but not quite daily driver use) and I think that's comparable to a well-built 818
    Agreed... a lot depends on the definition of 'daily driver'. I have daily driven loud/harsh sportscars for years, and plan to do so with my 818 when running. However, I have a fairly short commute with little traffic in a near ideal climate, my own parking spot at work, and have another (civilized) vehicle as back-up.

If you have a short and/or fun commute I see no reason not to drive an 818 on a daily/regular basis, as long as you have a back up for inclimate weather or unexpected situations. But if your daily grind is just stop-n-go traffic on pothole riddled straight roads, then I'd save the 818 for the weekends and put the miles on a dedicated beater/DD.

Post Thanks / Like
    With stock spring, our 818 ride was acceptable to me.
    Our 818S now has 600lbs rear springs on it for autocross and track days.
    With very thin seats and Ohio's poor roads, a 1 hour highway drive is all I can handle with out taking a break.

If it's above 30 and not raining, my son drives it to high school. About a 30 mile round trip.
    So he would call it his daily driver.
    Bob

PS: our 818 has endured about 10 rain storms.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    My S is being converted to a C and will pretty much be driven like wleehendricks. Similar conditions for me if my bike can make the trip than the 818 can do it and I can stay warm and dry. I've dd my S for a solid month when my 15 Wrx was in the shop and I had no problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have over 1200 miles on my S. After getting the car to temp it is very comfortable to drive between 45F and 80F. Above 80 it becomes a hot box. 100F+ is very uncomfortable. I still can't imagine the C in the summer.

Ground clearance is a legitimate concern. I'm very careful, set the car at 4.5" ride height, and have a minor crack in the street splitter from a very low speed scrape from a low speed parking lot exit. The incline was very subtle, but a Corvette or other low sports car would scrape on it. The car is great fun, but needs a higher level of attention than a high volume car. Fasteners loosen, hoses leak, etc. at a much more frequent interval than a standard car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero STI View Post
    After getting the car to temp it is very comfortable to drive between 45F and 80F. Above 80 it becomes a hot box. 100F+ is very uncomfortable.
    That works for me!

climate.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked at weather for 2015 and I would have 191 days between 45 and 80. That would be a lot of fun 818c days. The definition of daily driver is a good point. I have pretty low expectations on comfort. I work from home, so many of my outings fall outside stop-go traffic. I don't have to show up at client's offices wearing a suit.

Based on your thoughts, I have formed the following conclusions:

1. This is not a hot weather car. That is OK as making air conditioning work would probably be a pain anyway. Besides, > 80 degrees means I should be riding the BMW or Triumph motorcycles.
    2. The 818c does not seem like convertible hard top. Factory Five says that the hard top includes the windshield. To make it a convertible hard top you have to buy the S model body panels. Correct me if I am wrong, but that sounds like more money and a hassle.
    3. I should keep the 2004 Honda van around for the days the 818c is not suited. That's OK, it has its place in our world. If there's frost around, its not an 818 day.
    4. Solutions like the Vintage air heater/defroster would work for me. Sounds like the car has its own indirect heating. Maybe I just need a sneaky way to clear the fog on the windshield and blast fresh air in the cockpit.
    5. Ground clearance is my bigger challenge. My daughter's Scion tC has a 5.2 inch ground clearance and is streetable with caution. The 818 is 4.5 inches at the lowest part of the frame. I definitely need to drive it differently than the van or the Scion. Not sure how easy it is to adjust the height after the car is built. I am aiming toward a fun street car, not a track car. Then again, one track day and I may be hooked into yet another hobby!

Thanks again for all your insights.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timotheos View Post
    I looked at weather for 2015 and I would have 191 days between 45 and 80. That would be a lot of fun 818c days. The definition of daily driver is a good point. I have pretty low expectations on comfort. I work from home, so many of my outings fall outside stop-go traffic. I don't have to show up at client's offices wearing a suit.

Based on your thoughts, I have formed the following conclusions:

1. This is not a hot weather car. That is OK as making air conditioning work would probably be a pain anyway. Besides, > 80 degrees means I should be riding the BMW or Triumph motorcycles.
    2. The 818c does not seem like convertible hard top. Factory Five says that the hard top includes the windshield. To make it a convertible hard top you have to buy the S model body panels. Correct me if I am wrong, but that sounds like more money and a hassle.
    3. I should keep the 2004 Honda van around for the days the 818c is not suited. That's OK, it has its place in our world. If there's frost around, its not an 818 day.
    4. Solutions like the Vintage air heater/defroster would work for me. Sounds like the car has its own indirect heating. Maybe I just need a sneaky way to clear the fog on the windshield and blast fresh air in the cockpit.
    5. Ground clearance is my bigger challenge. My daughter's Scion tC has a 5.2 inch ground clearance and is streetable with caution. The 818 is 4.5 inches at the lowest part of the frame. I definitely need to drive it differently than the van or the Scion. Not sure how easy it is to adjust the height after the car is built. I am aiming toward a fun street car, not a track car. Then again, one track day and I may be hooked into yet another hobby!

Thanks again for all your insights.
    I plan to use my 818 c as much as possible. I like the hardtop. Never did like the sun beating down on the back of my neck. I will make foot well vents to help with heat evac in the summer and add rudimentary heat\defrost system to comply with Ohio regs.
    I'm using 6" as my ground clearance target for the very reason you stated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Although I'm not converting my s to a coupe, I have plans to build a removable top of some sort. Not sure yet if it will be fabric or fiberglass, but like Lance said the sun can be brutal, even here in San Diego.

I don't see driving the 818 more that 2-3 days per week. My job has me in the field every day so I probably won't feel comfortable leaving it out in parking lots for long periods of time. At least not at first.

Post Thanks / Like
    My 818s is my daily driver in everything but snow and heavy rain. I put the soft top on when it's cold, and have driven it at temps in the 20s. I'm not comfortable hauling my kids in it, so I leave it at home on days that I have to pick them up.

In the winter, I wear a coat, hat, gloves, and sometimes a scarf. On warm days I leave the top at home as long as there's no threat of rain.

The stock suspension seems fine to me on commuter roads, and I've raised the suspension enough to get me over all the speed bumps and road joints between work and home.

I imagine a coupe would be even more practical as a daily driver.

Of course, I used to be happy commuting on a motorcycle at least 3 seasons a year (and in the winter when it was dry). Any 818 is going to be more comfortable than a bike for daily driving.
    Last edited by Buzz Skyline; 04-26-2016 at 07:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My first car was a VW Carmen Gia and I was living in the NY area. In the summer we wore short sleeve shirts and shorts. In the winter we wore wool underpants and an extra thick down coat. A scraper handled ice build up on the inside, and a rag handled any fogging issues. The 818 isn't that much different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    On the same topic, this was just posted on Jalopnik.

http://jalopnik.com/can-you-daily-dr...-4c-1773358713

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post

I agree 100% with the toy statement.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My game plan is to use drive my MK-4 every chance I get, including taking it to work daily; however, I must admit that I do go from a covered garage to a covered garage. With that being said please understand that nobody can catch up with the Great One (aka: Mr. Ralph Button's) but I am willing to try!

Don't Let Your Dream Car Become Just A Piece Of Art!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-27-2016 at 03:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    All his complaints are a bit silly if you ask me. I think the only one who can answer if you can daily an 818C is you. Everyone on here will like less or more fancy options in their "daily driver". Having driven old cars my whole life in Nebraska with no AC, no power steering, no ABS, etc. I have never been bothered with the sounds, heat, or drive. You can DD just about anything just depends what your willing to put up with. I think the most important thought though if you are going to DD the 818 is think of it like a motorcycle when it comes to safety. And make sure you spend extra time waterproofing electrical and interior components so you don't have issues down the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm trying to make a fun but salable car, so my coupe will have A/C (Vintage Air Mini), comfortable seats, a windshield wiper and cruise control for anyone who may wish to employ it as a quasi daily-driver. I have spent almost the last 2 months getting the ergonomics ironed out and it has not been fun. But, my car now can (almost) comfortably fit anyone from 5'8" to 6'4". My hope is to be able to drive it 200+ miles to a track event, have some fun with it, and drive it back without having to schedule a visit to the chiropractor or massage therapist. Time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blwalker105 View Post
    My hope is to be able to drive it 200+ miles to a track event, have some fun with it, and drive it back without having to schedule a visit to the chiropractor or massage therapist. Time will tell.
    I had a hard time getting out of bed the days after my 818 track days. It was the G forces the car put on my body.
    It was a good hurt. A couple of ibuprofen took care of it.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point, Bob. I should have said without having to see the chiropractor before the event even began!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post

The rearward visibility in the coupe I sat in at HB was similar to the Alfa in the video. Those of you thinking of making the coupe as a daily driver IMHO should look into a backup camera, or even replacing the rear view mirror with a camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wether you build this as a C S R it is a toy made to have fun with and tinker... never beat on your number 1 ride... the engine is there to propel the rear wheels!

Post Thanks / Like
    a good mirror to look into that also incorporates a back up camera also navigation, forward camera and radar / laser detector is this one.

http://app-tronics.com

Post Thanks / Like
    And that is why i have a backup camera and have changed my mirror setup to try and accommodate this very situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the problem with DDing an 818... Compromise. Cars work best when they are used for the purpose they are designed for... And only that purpose. If you build an 818 up as a DD it won't be as good on the track, which is what it's designed for. It's a bare bones car with stiff suspension, low splitters, and no safety or comfort features. It's a much better idea, in my opinion, to keep the 818 focused on being a weekend or nice weather car, and keep another cheap reliable car as a DD. Then you'll be able to enjoy your 818 a lot more when you take it out, and not have to suffer commuting in it every day.

The requirements for a commuter car are totally different than the requirements for a track toy. Using this car for commuting would be like trying to hit a nail with a wrench. Maybe it will work, but you'll be much better off just getting a hammer.
    Last edited by spaceywilly; 05-04-2016 at 05:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in NE Ohio and drove 5 hours to Carlisle Kit Car Show last weekend hoping FF would be there, but they were not, and no 818's to be seen.
    I'd like to see an 818C and talk with the builder.
    Any builders in NE Ohio?
    Please let me know.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jebster View Post
    I am in NE Ohio and drove 5 hours to Carlisle Kit Car Show last weekend hoping FF would be there, but they were not, and no 818's to be seen.
    I'd like to see an 818C and talk with the builder.
    Any builders in NE Ohio?
    Please let me know.
    Thanks!
    Jebster,
    Next time you drive south stop by.
    Down here in SW Ohio I have a 818S with Wookie Modifications. Bring a thick pillow to take it for a test drive.
    Lance down here is building and 818C. I think it is at a stage that you can climb in and out of it and get a feel for sitting in it.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 05-26-2016 at 11:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, finally! You are welcome here any time. I'll set the chassis on the wheels and bolt the doors on for you. I've been concerned with the aspect of ingress and egress since I've had the car. Got it last sept. It never really became an issue until I had enough stuff bolted together to make other unforseen issues arise. If you have any thoughts of building a coupe, I highly recommend taking the time to go and sit in one. Wish I had, but they weren't around yet. I'm going to get used to it. I have to. And I will love it. Period. ��

Post Thanks / Like
    So, NONE of these FFR kit cars are built for comfortable evening and/or weekend driving?

32. Thanks Huntman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Skyline View Post
    Of course, I used to be happy commuting on a motorcycle at least 3 seasons a year (and in the winter when it was dry). Any 818 is going to be more comfortable than a bike for daily driving.
    Quote Originally Posted by redfogo View Post
    You can DD just about anything just depends what your willing to put up with. I think the most important thought though if you are going to DD the 818 is think of it like a motorcycle when it comes to safety. And make sure you spend extra time waterproofing electrical and interior components so you don't have issues down the road.
    And this sums it up. I rode my motorcycle through more than one tropical rain storm back home. Can you tell us what the worst daily driver you have ever had that you are willing to put up with? I daily drove a stripped out 86 dodge charger turbo for 3 years and LOVED it. Just because it's designed to be a great track car doesn't mean that's ALL it CAN be. After all, even Factory Five brags that they don't build cars...they provide projects. Do what you want, but be honest about your expectations. I agree that none of them will ever ride like a Mercedes. But then, I've never planned on owning a Mercedes.

One other person mentioned the quality of your commute, as well. Most of mine is split between an interstate and a highway...about 27 of the 31 miles. No reason you can't build an 818 to be as comfortable/reliable/safe as an old motorcycle, so if that's acceptable then you have a starting point. If you can keep a back-up ride, so much the better.

Quote Originally Posted by WVa Wild111 View Post
    So, NONE of these FFR kit cars are built for comfortable evening and/or weekend driving?
    Nope. That's why they went with Factory Five RACING for the name.

34. Likes Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would daily drive mine if I didn't have to drop my daughter off somewhere almost every day of the week. The 818 is actually a lot more comfortable than some small manufactured cars if you do a little extra to it in the build.