Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Flexible brake line suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Flexible brake line suggestions?

I've mounted my front brake line tabs like AZPete did here because it seemed like the cleanest way to deal with FFRs instructions in that area not matching reality (they don't show any splash guards in the way). Unfortunately, the stock flex lines just barely reach this mount location and I'm concerned they'll be under tension with suspension movement, so this seems like a good excuse to upgrade to braided SS lines that are a bit longer.

There are plenty of places to buy replacement lines, but I've not found any that list length and haven't had luck finding suitable universal ~24" replacements with banjo on one end and female 10mm x 1.0. Anyone know if other Subarus, or something else, are the same ends with just a longer length? This is for stock 05 WRX calipers, btw.

Post Thanks / Like
    In case it helps others or I've done something dangerously wrong, here's what I went with:
    • Russell Performance 57062 24" front flex lines (RUS-657062 at Summit Racing)
    • Russell Performance 57042 18" rear flex lines (RUS-657042 at Summit)
    • Russell 41411 adapter fittings, because the above lines are only available in -3 AN instead of 10mm inverted flare

I've not bleed the lines yet, but so far I'm happy with everything except the adapters. The groove that the mounting clips slide into is much taller than the Subaru fittings and therefore the FFR-provided mounting clips don't hold the fitting to the mounting tab. I found flat clips at the hardware store to take up the difference, so by stacking the mounting clips from the kit on top of those, I ended up with a tight fit to hold the fitting to the mounting tab. I may look for different adapters in the future, but it seems good enough for now to move on.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bought some stop-tech brand SS lines for a WRX. They have the right fittings. Only issue I've had is that the left-rear line is a bit long and because of this, it comes closer to the rear axle than I would like. Probably fine though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Hindsight. I probably should have gone with standard replacement lines for the rear to keep it simple, but I wanted longer lines for the front and none of the WRX-specific lines I found mentioned their length.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I use these on all my builds
    http://www.longacreracing.com/products.aspx?prodid=7666

With Subaru calipers I use the 3/8"/10mm banjo to -3AN brake hoses. The Longacre adapters go directly to the 3/16 hard lines supplied by FFR. That way you only have the metric to SAE adapters right at the master cylinders.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't made any in years, but I always used to buy the braided line by the foot, and the necessary fittings separately. Then cut the line to fit the situation. I did many street and race bikes, and some street cars and trucks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fragola will custom make anything you want.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought Techna-Fit stainless lines. I like them.
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the WRX stop techs they have plenty of room for movement I can show how I mounted mine after work.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've had very good luck with purchasing all sorts of items like brake lines, fittings and other items from Speedway Motors.
    They've been around since 1952 and the service they give is excellent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, all. I'll stick with the lines I have rather than buying another set, but now I have names of a few other places I can check for different adapters. I should have noted that I avoided the metric/SAE adapters by switching to metric nuts and re-flaring the lines everywhere but at the proportioning valve (so, Pearldrummer, holler if you ever want to borrow the Eastwood flaring tool)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    I use these on all my builds
    http://www.longacreracing.com/products.aspx?prodid=7666

With Subaru calipers I use the 3/8"/10mm banjo to -3AN brake hoses. The Longacre adapters go directly to the 3/16 hard lines supplied by FFR. That way you only have the metric to SAE adapters right at the master cylinders.
    Thanks Wayne, I like the looks of those tabs for a sturdier option than the FFR-provided ones.