BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: wipers

Post Thanks / Like

wipers

Does anyone know if wipers are required for Rhode Island?

Rob

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    In my State for replica's and re-creations, any original safety equipment that came on the original car is required.
    Check with your State's DMV and ask if they have a Specialized Vehicle Unit that deals with antiques and replicas.
    Also, I'm adding a back up lights just to avoid any silly issues when my car gets inspected just to avoid any hassle.
    Good Luck From The Land Of Dixie!

Post Thanks / Like
    You already have backup lights, the LED bulbs are duel use with the turn signals
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here is the link to the Kit Cars in RI (http://www.dmv.ri.gov/inspections/kit/index.php). In the listing it states "The kit vehicle you build must conform to all State motor vehicle safety requirements " but then you can't find any specific information on safety requirements. I owned a roadster (titled as a 66) and never had to have an inspection but it was originally built/registered in 2002 without wipers. I know another roadster being built now that also does not have wipers but has not completed inspection. I do know of one other roadster that did need wipers so he installed a set of hand operated marine wipers for the inspection and then took them off. I would call and get a specific answer if you do not want to install the wipers. I think it may vary based on who is doing the inspections. This is RI after all... Enjoy.
    Note: I am down in Kingston and just put a deposit on a Type 65 and I will be installing wipers.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    You already have backup lights, the LED bulbs are duel use with the turn signals
    I've got a separate circuit & switch that is linked to my shifter.
    The MK-4 does not have back up lights so you have add them if you want them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The answer is YES! (but a single hand operated wiper - passed) you also need headlights, high beam, turn signs, warning flashers, horn, heat shields for side exhaust, baffles for mufflers, emergency brakes and they will check the underside of the car! The last big one is bumpers..the quick jacks did not pass. need the larger covers. Not usre about the Type65 so I will be calling because I have not heard this one before. Enjoy and I would call ahead if you have any questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    RI rejected the 818 today because they want airbag, bumpers, muffler, and wiper. They also said i need to fix the brakes, as they found a leak. I have spent many hours and gone thru 4 brass tees. Thought i had it so it no longer leaked but its still leaking. I need to discuss with them the airbag and bumpers, there is no way those can be done

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rplourdejr View Post
    RI rejected the 818 today because they want airbag, bumpers, muffler, and wiper. They also said i need to fix the brakes, as they found a leak. I have spent many hours and gone thru 4 brass tees. Thought i had it so it no longer leaked but its still leaking. I need to discuss with them the airbag and bumpers, there is no way those can be done
    In Ohio I had to do bumpers.
    Had to be track width (about 60") and 4" high. I think lower than 22 from ground.

front2.jpg rear.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess there is a way to do bumpers! Looks pretty good too. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not surprised on the bumpers, muffler, and wipers, as CT required all of those. The airbag could be a problem. Perhaps just install an OEM steering wheel for inspection, so it looks like there is an airbag?

BobNCincy's bumper is more thorough than ours. They just wanted "something" there for us was the impression we got. We also never did a front one because technically the front nose piece that is bolted on is a bumper (and CT never asked to see anything further). I think sometimes it depends on the mood of the inspector for what exactly they consider a requirement that day....
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    In Maine the law indicates a ton of stuff, however the "inspector" comes right to your house and attaches the VIN plate. That's it! The "inspection" is just drive it to your local garage and get an inspection sticker... I was amazed!
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    As for the airbag, they just wanted it removed from the steering wheel, even though it is not connected.

As for the bumpers, I spoke to the guy, and he said the boss said they will take the car, as is, without bumpers.

I had an exhaust made by DynoTune, and it works pretty good. Real quiet, so as long as emissions are good, it should pass.

I just got all new brake parts from RockAuto so I cannot see how they could fail the brakes. I think I also need to point out that they brakes are manual brakes, and not power brakes.

Did the wipers, came out pretty good, by following some links here on the forum. I even added the washer bottle, but I needed to get one from Tacoma since it is smaller, and the only thing I could fit. The wrx one is huge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did the wipers, came out pretty good, by following some links here on the forum. I even added the washer bottle, but I needed to get one from Tacoma since it is smaller, and the only thing I could fit. The wrx one is huge.
    Where did you mount the washer bottle? I'm still trying to figure out where to put mine.

Also, what are you doing about a washer fluid nozzle?

Post Thanks / Like
    Why go thru the trouble of wiper motors... Have your passenger earn their keep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WevQlQ4wcPc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmPfUHpYZ_M

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Skyline View Post
    Where did you mount the washer bottle? I'm still trying to figure out where to put mine.

Also, what are you doing about a washer fluid nozzle?
    I added it just after the fan, and I ran the nozzle off to the side, with a small piece of aluminum, which is easy to bend.

See pics.

Wiper1.jpgWiper2.jpg