FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: FFR sun visors

Post Thanks / Like

FFR sun visors

I am in the process of installing the FFR sun visors on my Mark IV and have run into an issue. It appears as if the FFR supplied screws that attach the mount clips to the windshield frame are a different size/pitch than the tapped threads in the frame. I tried to measure the FFR supplied screws using a pitch gauge and it looks like they are 8-32. The threads in the frame "look" finer but the hole is too small to measure them. Also, no idea if the tapped holes are standard or metric thread.

Anyone else run into this?

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't had a problem with the FF supplied screws fitting properly on several builds. But others have reported they don't fit. Quick search on the other forum seems evenly split between 6-32 and 3mm as the correct size. But chrome in the threads is mentioned a lot. Also mentioned a lot is this is probably the number one way windshields get broken. Adjust the screw length as necessary so they don't do any more than go through the frame. If you contact the glass, well you know the rest... Same comment if you choose to put a bottoming tap in there.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Olli!

Yes, lots of guys have run into this and many of them swear that the threads in the windshield frame are metric and don't match the screws but that isn't the case. The deal is that when they are manufactured the frames are chromed after the threads are tapped so chrome builds up on the female threads and the screws don't fit. Metric screws might fit---sort of. If you're feeling brave you can run a bottom tap into them to cut the chrome out. Ever since one of my customers took a car I painted home and broke his windshield within an hour after taking it off the trailer when he hit the glass with his tap while doing just that I'm not that brave any more! Others have found that the screws for the little tabs will touch (and crack) the glass if they are the least bit too long.

Here's what I do now when I have customers who want visors. Use square 6-32 nuts in the top channel which can be inserted through the wide gap in the center. Install the tabs as shown here:

Put your visors on like this and use a piece of black vacuum hose or screen spline to fill the channel and hide the hardware.

Easy peasy and no risk of a tap or the visor screws contacting the glass.

Cheers,
    Jeff

visors1.jpgvisors2.jpg

4. Thanks Junbug thanked for this post
    Likes Junbug, proeagles liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    6-32. Got it. At least I had the 32 right....

Jeff, I love the square nut idea. And that is what I will do. Thank you.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    I did what Jeff had suggested. I used brass nuts as well, so that they do not scratch or mar the chrome.
    Build Blog
    #8203, carbed 427W (611 hp), TKO 600, IRS
    Delivered: May 27, 2014
    Mechanically "Complete": October 1, 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes yes yes to what Kleiner said. I used to pull the glass out of the frame, insert bracket with screws then grind down the back side.....I must say "Cap't O-Ring and his square nuts changed my life" You can quote me on that...da Bat

8. Likes steno liked this post
    Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Hey Olli!

Yes, lots of guys have run into this and many of them swear that the threads in the windshield frame are metric and don't match the screws but that isn't the case. The deal is that when they are manufactured the frames are chromed after the threads are tapped so chrome builds up on the female threads and the screws don't fit. Metric screws might fit---sort of. If you're feeling brave you can run a bottom tap into them to cut the chrome out. Ever since one of my customers took a car I painted home and broke his windshield within an hour after taking it off the trailer when he hit the glass with his tap while doing just that I'm not that brave any more! Others have found that the screws for the little tabs will touch (and crack) the glass if they are the least bit too long.

Here's what I do now when I have customers who want visors. Use square 6-32 nuts in the top channel which can be inserted through the wide gap in the center. Install the tabs as shown here:

Put your visors on like this and use a piece of black vacuum hose or screen spline to fill the channel and hide the hardware.

Easy peasy and no risk of a tap or the visor screws contacting the glass.

Cheers,
    Jeff
    That's slick Jeff. You will have saved a lot of future rants over a busted glass in the future, too!

Thanks,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff-

Another great solution! I have saved it for when I get to that point.

Now, what's this about your square nuts that Da Bat is rambling on about? HA

Thanks again!

Regards,

Steve

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well chalk me up to being stubborn and stupid. I tried to mount my Sun visors using as much care as I could. I cracked the glass. I am going to pull off the frame and tap the holes and go from there. I just ordered a replacement windshield. I bought the stuff to do the square nut fix, but I want to be able to put my soft top on and off without having to remove the sun visors. Pleas be careful and pay attention to this thread. I really wish FFR would address this with their supplier. But I guess that would be asking too much, LOL.
    Last edited by wallace18; 05-26-2016 at 09:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    will this method interfere with the soft top?? That is my next big purchase!!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you do the square nut deal like the above picture it will. You would have to remove the visors every time you put the top on. That is why I am using the holes FFR suggests. I pulled the frame away on the other side and was able to tap and thread my screws without any damage. So when I get my new glass I will be fine. I should have disassembled the frame at the start and because I didn't I paid the price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wallace18, be sure to file the screws so that they don't protrude through the frame. They are just a little too long.
    I drilled and tapped piece of flat stock to thread the screws through. Clamped that in the vice a filed them shorter with a good machine file.

Good Luck This Time
    Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm B View Post
    Wallace18, be sure to file the screws so that they don't protrude through the frame. They are just a little too long.
    I drilled and tapped piece of flat stock to thread the screws through. Clamped that in the vice a filed them shorter with a good machine file.

Good Luck This Time
    Norm
    Thanks Norm. I bought slightly shorter S/S screws from McMaster-Carr. I already tried them out on the broken window and no problems. I broke the window with my tap.

Post Thanks / Like
    On a semi-related note, does anyone make replacement visor pieces in acrylic? Used to be someone who made them out of Lexan. Mine have faded badly to a really nasty looking purple, time to replace them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would think any glass shop could do it.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    My replacement wind shield came Sat. I removed the frame from the cracked glass and ground down the screws for the sun visor clips. Do yourself a favor and just loosen the frame from the windshield, tap the holes and grind down the screws flush. Do not be a D/A like me and crack a perfectly good glass for being lazy. Here is before and after pics.

IMG_0777.JPGIMG_0773.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    so....dumb question, but how do you separate the piece from the windshield, isn't it glued in with urethane?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 6t8dart View Post
    so....dumb question, but how do you separate the piece from the windshield, isn't it glued in with urethane?
    Nope - windshield is held in a rubber "U" channel / gasket with some non-hardening mastic.

Here's my recently resurrected thread on work you can do to hopefully avoid cracks - including getting all of the screws the right length.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...o-avoid-cracks
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 6t8dart View Post
    As said it just pulls right off.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Longer screws?

Jeff,
    Does this take longer screws than what come with the FFR kit to be able to reach down to the square nuts? It looks like you have two nuts stacked under each screw, is that correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KDmsp115 View Post
    Jeff,
    Does this take longer screws than what come with the FFR kit to be able to reach down to the square nuts? It looks like you have two nuts stacked under each screw, is that correct?
    Same screws, one nut. Reflection may make it look like 2 in the photo.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Same screws, one nut.

Jeff
    Well, that's not EXACTLY true Jeff. If you include the nut that's working on the car, that makes two...

Just sayin'

I hope you are well Sir!

Regards,

Steve