Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: VERY interested in building the 289 USRRC - questions

Post Thanks / Like

VERY interested in building the 289 USRRC - questions

I've spent a good bit of time today taking a close look at this offering. My long-time plan has been to do the 427, but I am really intrigued by this car. I like the leaner body shape, plus the cool brake ducts. It allows me to use a small-block: this one's a big deal. As much as I have liked the idea of putting a FE into the MK4, I have had trouble accepting how tight that makes the engine compartment. BUT, I didn't really like the idea of putting a small block into the MK4. Also, there are going to be so few of these out on the road it will be kind of cool to be fairly unique.

If I build this car, I will definitely make it as period-correct as I can. It would never fool a true expert, so I'd just be building to get it how I want it.

So I really haven't seen many comments by builders of this car. I'm wondering, how many of these has FFR sold? Does anyone have any numbers on that? I'd also like to know if anyone has run into any challenges building this car, challenges that are unique to the 289 kit. It looks like building it would be very similar to the MK4 in terms of sequence, known issues/snags and such.

All told, I'd just really like to hear what people are experiencing with building this car.
    Alan

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
    - Pete Townshend

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Alan,

I can say that it's a fairly easy car to build compared to the other models. The only issues I had were getting the right front spindles from FFR but that was just a logistics thing. It's a beautiful, well finished body out of the gate that Mr Bruce painstakingly shaped himself. It has so many unique curves and I liked it because like you, the idea of the small block appealed to me. I really tried to get it as close as I could while incorporating some modern fuel injection with the Hillborn system. If you look at my build page you'll see that there a few other modern items (like the gilmer belt) etc that while not car period correct, could have been used as the tech was available. I believer FFR has still only sold 15-20 of these as so many people go with the 427. As a result though the car really stands out as a closer representation of the British roadster from which it was born.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jump on it. I would if I were in the market today.

Post Thanks / Like
    I chose the 289 for the same reasons, wanted a small block, something a little different and I like the looks. I am adding a couple touches here and there, but am not going too far into the period correct realm. Likewise on upgrades since I want a simple, basic car that I can drive the snot out of. If I had the extra cash laying around, and I might do this some day, I would go with the Weber carbs. Pin drive is another nice option that wasn't in my budget.

The build so far is fairly straightforward, the only real snags have been self-inflicted.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am also intrigued by the 289FIA for the reason others state. I'd *really* like a slab side, but understand there isn't much market and the body would require a completely new mold. ERA and SPF make slabsides. ERA has a super long backorder and both are really spendy.

I like the look of the Brit AC 289 which is very similar to the Shelby model.

I've seen a couple of 289FIA's made into street cars, not racers, and they looked excellent. I'd like the slab-side dash with the clock---AC used in in their 289 FIA's for the street---but would settle for the roadster dash.

Single side pipes and Halibrands are OK, but I'd ponder knock-off wire wheels and underchassis exhaust to emphasize the streetiness of it. Certainly there are options for a monster small block, and some companies are making EFI stacks fairly reasonably.

I did the s/c before with a SPF and 427 side-oiler, and while fun and brutal, I may want to slightly understated this time around...but still have a screamer.

Here is ERA's street version of the FIA. Very sweet and a look I'd like to achieve:

ERA 289 FIA Street

I wonder if Factory Five would have any interest id doing an FIA version like this? Would not be difficult at all, a dash change, under chassis exhaust option, front hoop change and a grill. Luggage rack is cool. The rest of the parts are supplied by the builder.

I can just imagine this in Viking blue with pin drive wire wheels...
    Last edited by CobraboyDR; 06-09-2017 at 12:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cnutting View Post
    I chose the 289 for the same reasons, wanted a small block, something a little different and I like the looks. I am adding a couple touches here and there, but am not going too far into the period correct realm. Likewise on upgrades since I want a simple, basic car that I can drive the snot out of. If I had the extra cash laying around, and I might do this some day, I would go with the Weber carbs. Pin drive is another nice option that wasn't in my budget.

The build so far is fairly straightforward, the only real snags have been self-inflicted.
    Check out some of the new EFI stacks that have come out. Very reasonable, and far better overall performance to Webers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm ordering a 2i9 before the end of the month, to. Take advantage of the sale. And is it just me or did the sale go from 50% off options over $5k to 40% off options over $4k in the past few days?