Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Windshield Wipers for 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Windshield Wipers for 33 Hot Rod

Since I'm pretty sure I will need wipers for my 33 coupe, I called FFR today. I can order wipers for the roadster, but not if I run it as a hardtop. Does anyone know of a wiper that will work? Murph

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    After spending several hours searching I settled on a single wiper, single speed with integral on/off switch & self parking. The unit was $29.99 from Speedway Motors -- part #91123501. I have not installed it yet but I'm confident it will work for my purposes. I plan to glass-in a thin wall SS tube to mount the shaft through but it's designed to simply drill a hole and slip the threaded shaft through it. I needed a small profile as I'm building an NHRA / SCCA legal cage in my 33 HR & the halo bar comes close to the area above the windshield (coupe) where the motor will mount. I don't need much as far as equipment here in AZ but wipers are one of the listed requirements to get it registered & keep me legal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    After spending several hours searching I settled on a single wiper, single speed with integral on/off switch & self parking. The unit was $29.99 from Speedway Motors -- part #91123501. I have not installed it yet but I'm confident it will work for my purposes. I plan to glass-in a thin wall SS tube to mount the shaft through but it's designed to simply drill a hole and slip the threaded shaft through it. I needed a small profile as I'm building an NHRA / SCCA legal cage in my 33 HR & the halo bar comes close to the area above the windshield (coupe) where the motor will mount. I don't need much as far as equipment here in AZ but wipers are one of the listed requirements to get it registered & keep me legal.
    I'm going to buy the WW kit from Dan R for my coupe, it is quite a bit more than you spent but a nice system for getting caught in the rain on road trips.
    Post plenty of pictures on your cage, there are only a handful of us that have one and even less that are legal for sanctioning bodies. Headroom for street driving/no helmet stuff is tricky.
    The down bars in the back, door bars and the front drops are all a challenge to make legal and still get in and out without a big hassle. Matt P has a pretty robust cage in his
    DB
    7L Hemi 33 with a 4 point cage

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, building a full cage in one of these tight little coupes is a challenge. Achieving the 30-deg angle on the rear braces and keeping your helmet in front of the main hoop takes some thinking outside the box. I actually mounted the body 1" higher in the back to get 32-deg on my rear braces (body is on a slight rake). I didn't want to trap the body on the chassis so I carefully cut out the entire dash to run the front down tubes behind the dash. The body lifts over the cage like it wasn't there. I'll install the dash with ¼-turn fasteners so it will look original but make servicing brake M/C & electronics easier as I won't have to crawl under the dash I'll simply remove it. I'd post pictures but can't find a tutorial on how to do that so that will have to wait for when I have more time to figure it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_0466.JPGIMG_0467.JPGIMG_0468.JPGIMG_0472.JPGIMG_0474.JPGIMG_0475.JPG My first attempt at adding photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NAZ; 05-05-2016 at 01:34 PM.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You may want to look at Marine Wiper units. AFI has quite a few units and they have multiple speeds and range angles. The only issue is that they are single wipers not duel. Shown below are the models and Jamestown Distributors has them and all sorts of wiper arms and blades. 800-497-0010 or www.jamestowndistributors.com

AFI-34001 12V 80° 1.5 inch 38001
    AFI-34000 12V 80° 2.5 inch 38000
    AFI-34010 12V 110° 2.5 inch 38010
    AFI-33025 (Cover) N/A N/A N/A 33125
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-05-2016 at 01:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used ongaro marine wiper for my 818
    easy install
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajLQ1Svzpqc
    818S #343 Delivered 5-20-2015
    First Start 10-17-2015
    First Drive 10-17-2017 ( 100 feet back and forth until I can get off driveway)
    First Drive with a non leaking tuned motor 11-12-2015 (wow)
    Passed NJ State constructed inspection 8/30/2016

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph View Post
    Since I'm pretty sure I will need wipers for my 33 coupe, I called FFR today. I can order wipers for the roadster, but not if I run it as a hardtop. Does anyone know of a wiper that will work? Murph
    So, if I am understanding it right, if we decide to run our Hot Rod as a Roadster and install wipers (required to get titled in Pa.) ;then at some later date we put the hard top on, now the wipers won't work?! What good is it to have the ability to switch from Hard top to Roadster & Vice Versa?
    I was hoping to switch from Roadster to Hard Top but now I don't know.
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky
    33 Hot Rod sn 524 build started 3/18/2013, First Start-5/09/2015, Go Cart-6/01/2015
    5.0 Coyote engine, 9in. Ford rear, 4 Link, Wilwood 12in. front brakes
    AC, power steering, FFR 17/18in. Hot Rod wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    This company has a wiper kit http://innovativerodding.com/parts.html

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan to use Dr. Ruth's wiper kit (innovativerodding.com) and I understand that they will work with either windshield - but you should verify that with Dan directly (602-332-5398).
    HTH
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by H R Lucky View Post
    So, if I am understanding it right, if we decide to run our Hot Rod as a Roadster and install wipers (required to get titled in Pa.) ;then at some later date we put the hard top on, now the wipers won't work?! What good is it to have the ability to switch from Hard top to Roadster & Vice Versa?
    I was hoping to switch from Roadster to Hard Top but now I don't know.
    yup sheilds at diffrent angles 90 on the coupe that is a bummer and my state the stickers on the glass too cant go both ways