Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: STL Gateway Cobra Club cruise and WAZE question

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

STL Gateway Cobra Club cruise and WAZE question

Last weekend, the Gateway Cobra Club (St. Louis, MO) cruised about 200 miles roundtrip, to Mary Janes Burgers & Brew in Perryville, Mo for their 3rd annual Brew Block Party.
    It was a beautiful day (finally!!) and the cruise was attended by about 9 cars. Lots of fun, good food, and a couple Brew tastes.
    A couple photos are embedded, but I had a thought / question I wanted to throw out there.

I planned and led the cruise to the destination. Trying to keep track of 9 cars to prevent running off and leaving someone is a challenge. Fortunately, our tail car was the highly visible Orange roadster, so I could check the rear-view and if I saw the Orange car, I knew I didn't leave anyone behind.
    On a 2 hour cruise and winding through the backroads, this can be problematic. I've been on cruises where someone in the middle broke down and the lead car didn't realize it for MANY miles.
    I was thinking one morning on my drive to work; could I use WAZE to track my club buddies? I've used WAZE a little bit, but I thought there was also a function to track your friends.
    Has anyone tried this?
    Any other suggestions? (we also try to run with our lights on, so we know when stray cars get between us (may be my OCD, but these jerks really annoy me. What? you don't see a parade of brightly painted and loud Shelby Cobras??? probably the same nitwits that cut into funeral processions)

F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    Last weekend, the Gateway Cobra Club (St. Louis, MO) cruised about 200 miles roundtrip, to Mary Janes Burgers & Brew in Perryville, Mo for their 3rd annual Brew Block Party.
    It was a beautiful day (finally!!) and the cruise was attended by about 9 cars. Lots of fun, good food, and a couple Brew tastes.
    A couple photos are embedded, but I had a thought / question I wanted to throw out there.

I planned and led the cruise to the destination. Trying to keep track of 9 cars to prevent running off and leaving someone is a challenge. Fortunately, our tail car was the highly visible Orange roadster, so I could check the rear-view and if I saw the Orange car, I knew I didn't leave anyone behind.
    On a 2 hour cruise and winding through the backroads, this can be problematic. I've been on cruises where someone in the middle broke down and the lead car didn't realize it for MANY miles...........
    ....Any other suggestions? (we also try to run with our lights on, so we know when stray cars get between us (may be my OCD, but these jerks really annoy me. What? you don't see a parade of brightly painted and loud Shelby Cobras??? probably the same nitwits that cut into funeral processions)
    It was that guy in the red coupe that couldn't keep up and separated everybody!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, gonna need to discuss that.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the car groups around here bought two way radios. The leader has one and the last car has one. They also hand out a route map so everyone has a way to stay on track to destination. they usually cruise with 15 cars.
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin
    July 2009 FFCars Picture of the Month
    FFR3542K, 347 C.I., EFI, T-5, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes