BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Future father/son project

Post Thanks / Like

Future father/son project

My 13 year old approaches me and says I want to build an 818 ! I was shocked, he is into sports, I guess playing GTA may have swayed him. SO after I finish the roadster, will start looking for a donor for the 818

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on a future father+son project!

I built the roadster at the build school and can tell you the 818 is a VERY different kind of build. It is much less plug and play and requires more customization, tweaking, adjusting, fixing, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's awesome! It's a great project to take on with a kid. You might consider the FFR build school too. I did that with my son 10 years ago. It was for the Roadster, but the info and techniques we learned helped a lot with the 818.

Edit: looks like Hindsight and i posted almost simultaneously. I think there's an 818 build school now as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Build school, awesome suggestion

Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished the most recent 818 build class with my own son. Totally worth it to us. Instructors are excellent and we got to work on the most recent version of the 818c. (They literally got it just the week before. Got to see the iWire setup but they didn't have time to prepare for it.) You obviously have to take some shortcuts you normally won't do,but we finished assembling and had the car running in three days. Not perfect, but you learn a lot in a short time.

We were not alone. There was three other fathers and sons in our group.

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been working on an 818 for 2 years now with my sons, we did a complete engine rebuild as well. I could care less if the car never gets on the road just the time and fun we have is worth every penny. We also set a goal of doing it under $15k. My boys are now 19 and 17 and my oldest is at school full time but keeps telling me not to do anything without him.

Post Thanks / Like
    very CooL !

Post Thanks / Like
    My son and I were one of the four sets of Father-Son attendees at the 818 Build School class last weekend that Brian mentioned. We are in the middle of our 818C build and are loving it. It is a great Father-Son project.

We also highly recommend the class. The instructors (Charles and Scott) did a great job and we learned a lot. It will definitely be a great help in our build.

- Lou
    Building an 818C
    Ordered: 8/31/15, Production Date: 1/23/16, Delivery Date: 2/05/2016
    First Start: 4/14/2017
    818C Build Thread
    Donor Teardown Thread