Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New MkIII 4.6 Project

Post Thanks / Like

New MkIII 4.6 Project

Greetings!!

I am the new owner of a MkIII project! The original purchase of the kit was in 2009, and the car is just a rolling chassis at this point. The engine is a 4.6L DOHC SVT (bored to 5.0L), built by Sean Hyland Motorsports (2006), gearbox a T-3560. The project stalled out due to the builder getting frustrated with the engine wiring issues. No prep work done to the body since delivered from Factory5. The engine has been in storage and not run since delivered from SHM.

Unfortunately, the radiator for the project was damaged in storage, beyond repair. The cooling fan is missing as well. So, before we try to fire up the engine I need to replace those. I am open to suggestions on what other builders have used beyond those provided by Factory5.

Regards!

John Morrison
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats John!

I'm a fan of the FFR radiator. I've used it on every car I've built and unless you have some massive cooling needs (which shouldn't be the case with your 4.6/5.0) I can't find a good reason to go with anything else. Couple it with a shroud from Breeze (Mark may offer a good fan or fan/shroud combo as well) and you'll be good to go.

I got one of those rollers built by someone else a few years ago to complete for a customer. One bit of advice---trust NOTHING that has been done and go over the completed work with a fine tooth comb. The one that came to me looked much like yours; it would roll, steer and stop but the more I looked and investigated I found that it was a mess. It soon became apparent that I just needed to tear it down all the way to the bare chassis and start over because I had no confidence in what the original owner/builder had done.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congrats on the new project. I second the FFR radiator. I used the fan from the donor with the Breeze shroud and bottom bracket. You may be able to get a deal from someone that did not use their fan. Breeze sells lots of goodies to help mount the radiator.

As for the wiring harness, you can contact Art Wirediet http://www.wirediet.com, he is pricey but you get a great end product. I used him and glad I did. With regard to the engine sitting, squirt some Master Blaster in the cylinders and let it sit, then hand rotate the engine. Some may suggest another product but it worked for me after sitting for a few years and engine runs great now.

Good luck with the build.
    Picked up Kit 7/20/09, Tear down stage complete, Donor 2003 Cobra 4.6L supercharged, 25k miles on engine, IRS, 6-speed. Attended Build School October 08. Mods done, frame powder coated 12/2012, First Start 7/31/13, gocart 8/2/13, Check out my blog
    http://venomxs.com/index.php?view=ca...tent&Itemid=57

Post Thanks / Like
    We know for sure it doesn't stop! Fred Flinstone brakes used to roll it on and off the trailer...

Post Thanks / Like
    I would really appreciate any photos of the engine installations from any other Roadsters with the 4.6L DOHC 4V engines. I need to see how the engine cooling and wiring harness issues were tackled.

Thanks in advance!

John M

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed a 4.6 DOHC from an 04 Mach 1 in my Mark IV, so mine is similar to yours. If you could be specific about the engine cooling and wiring harness photos you would like, I can either send you what I have or take new ones.
    Mark IV -- 04 Mach1 Donor -- 4.6 DOHC -- TKO 600 -- 3:55 Gears -- 3 Link - Hydroboost PS & PB -- 13" PBR's Front & 11.65's Rear -- Cuesta Wiring -- Thompson Signals -- FFR Radiator, heater, wipers, and catalytic converters -- Metco DS safety loop -- Forte 7/8" front bar -- VPM 3/4" rear bar -- Champ road race pan -- Corbeau A4 Seats -- Nitto NT-05's on 17 x 9's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by walt mckenna View Post
    I installed a 4.6 DOHC from an 04 Mach 1 in my Mark IV, so mine is similar to yours. If you could be specific about the engine cooling and wiring harness photos you would like, I can either send you what I have or take new ones.
    Walt,

Any and all photos would be great! I am probably going to strip my chassis back down to the bare frame and start over.

What did you use for the engine wiring harness? Where did you mount the PCM, how did you set up the cooling system? Etc.

I need ideas...

Thanks!

John
    Last edited by JBMorrison; 05-09-2016 at 08:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    John,

I can't help you with the engine, but I'll confirm what others have said about the FFR-supplied AFCO radiator. It's a quality piece and fairly priced.

However, when you get to the bodywork stage, here's a link to my bodywork thread - I did my own work (first timer) on my Mk3..... http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...is%27+bodywork

Congratulations and best of luck with your journey!
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    John,

I can't help you with the engine, but I'll confirm what others have said about the FFR-supplied AFCO radiator. It's a quality piece and fairly priced.

However, when you get to the bodywork stage, here's a link to my bodywork thread - I did my own work (first timer) on my Mk3..... http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...is%27+bodywork

Congratulations and best of luck with your journey!
    Chris,

Thanks for replying! I bookmarked your thread several days before I picked up my project. Need to pick your brain on the MkIV trunk lid conversion; like it much more than the MkIII "bubble butt".

Cheers!

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, a different topic: I was not planning on purchasing tires for the 15" FFR Halibrand "knock-offs" yet, but a local deal for a set of unused Firestone Indy 500's (255/60R15 for the fronts, 275/60R15s for the rears) just became available. Asking price $350 for the set. Thoughts?

Cheers,

John