Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ford 300 inline 6

Post Thanks / Like

Ford 300 inline 6

I have searched all the engine threads and haven't seen a straight six yet. Does anyone know if a ford 300 inline 6 would fit? It's about 4" longer than a v8 I believe. I'm about two years from retiring (Navy) and want a 33 for my retirement gift. Searching for different ideas engine wise. I can get 325hp / 400 ft lb out of a straight six. Thought that would be cool and different. Also backed by an AOD. I enjoy reading about all your builds and look forward to adding experience to this forum some day.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've seen a couple of builds with the 33 hot rod. I would doubt that you have an extra four inches but it is an interesting concept.

I new a guy who raced a 65 Nova with a Chevy straight 6 with side draft Webers. He won a national championship with it. It was called "Buzz Saw". That's what it sounded like. It would fly. BTW: he was making lots of HP with the 6 cylinder. He had to put a new crank in it just about every week as it would bend from all the torque. It was no big deal as he was a Chevy technician by trade so he got his parts cheap, I'm sure.

Good luck and keep us posted,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    LOVE THE IDEA OF THE STRAIGHT SIX!
    This would be a truly unique build, plus those motors are bullet proof.
    Had one in an F-150 and it didn't give up the ghost until 350,000 miles.
    GOD I MISS THAT TRUCK!

Post Thanks / Like
    That would be a great build. You could order your kit not powder coated and extend the frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    What I like about his approach is all the room left in there for a nice big intercooled turbocharger set-up
    DB

Post Thanks / Like
    If you look at this pic of a 33 with a 302, you can see there's not much extra space between the accessory drive and shock framing. As stated, you could get some 4" x .120" tube and extend the rails.

By the way, I recognize the zip code. Spent 10 years there on 735, 738, TRF and PMT.
    ~ Bruce
    MK4 #8189
    400hp 351w, TKO600, 3.27 3-link

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless you are especially tall the '33 is pretty generous on leg room; how about pushing the firewall rearward? We had a roadster guy working on putting 300 six in a Mk3 a few years ago but I think he stalled when life got in the way. Best engine Ford ever built---like GoDadGo said they're bulletproof!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    No clue on fitment (818 guy here) but I have a 300 straight six truck and love it. That'd be a cool build!
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm the EKMS instructor and have to go back to sea for 18 months before I retire. I was on the 737 back in 03'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all replies guys. I'm going to the ffr show In Brunswick next weekend and will bring a tape measure to see.
    If it won't fit I might look into the ford mini stock motors. Been watching some YouTube videos and they can rev to 8,000 rpm!

Post Thanks / Like
    Many years ago 2 guys drag raced a Maverick I believe with a 300 six, I read about the mods they did like 289/271 hp. valves and rockers, 11:1 pistons etc. The one guy's name was Wayne Gapp and the other guy was Jack Roush! They won a lot of races if I recall.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    So if you go with the inline 6 you're obligated to put the old Borg Warner 3 speed with overdrive in it. You only have to push the firewall back in the center if the starter is below the turn under. Rob the 9 inch rear outta the f100 while you're there. Split shifting a hot rod would be old school fun. Good luck.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dean,

It would be a shame to abandon that project if you really want it. I think the extending of the frame would be very straight forward. It could be sleeved and welded to be very strong (not that expensive). I've seen rails and extended T buckets with a straight six. They are very unique and real head turners. Besides the engine performance, it would be a one of a kind!

Good luck,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    I went to the car show factory five hosted in Brunswick GA this past weekend. I talked to one of the factory guys about the 33 they brought. It had a modular motor and the rep said it was 28" long, I found on another ford forum that a 1971 ford 300 is 28" long (block, not pullies). I may not have to worry about fitment! I need 2 years to speed up so I can this going!