Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: fuel safe fuel cell

Post Thanks / Like

fuel safe fuel cell

I have done a search and can't find this, though I know I remember seeing it somewhere here. I need to know if anyone knows the optimal Fuel Safe fuel cell for a Challenge car, using a fill configuration so that I can use the Lemans-type fill cap, unless that is inadvisable. Though I have decided to run ST2, I think this would still be the right choice for a fuel cell.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    22 gallon factory five sport mans sm122A-AFF by Fuel Safe. Gordon says he has another model but do not have any specific information although I have asked...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, ricobrafan; I searched more on the Fuel Safe site and now see that one is spec'd for FFRRoadsters. It is the size specified by Challenge rules. However, 22 gallons seems too big. Maybe not is doing even a shorter-duration enduro race. Also, the fuel safe one is about $2300. I'll ask Gordon what the deal is currently.

Thanks,
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill,

The optimal fuel cell is to do away with the side fill option and go to the trunk fill method for two reasons. First, running a fuel cell requires that the bladder being replaced every 5 or 7 years (7 if recert'd by Fuel Safe after 5, NASA rules, maybe others) and the trunk fill option (a standard Sportsman bladder) is cheaper to replace. Second and more importantly to me, is that it is safer with no appendage hanging off the side of the cell that is more likely to get knocked off in a wreck. It is only slightly less convenient to use the trunk fill but as with most things once you learn the secret handshake it's not a problem. The top fill req's a different fill plate like a SF6X10B for instance.

That SM122-AFF is for the side fill and RB222A-06 is for the top fill bladder. See what you can do with FF in terms of getting the other bladder/fill plate. If nothing I would try to sell them in the claasifieds or run the side fill then convert to top fill when req'd.

There may be other options from ATL but I don't know if anybody has tried it yet or if it would be any cheaper.

Joe
    FFR Spec Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by avgjoe View Post
    Bill,

That SM122-AFF is for the side fill and RB222A-06 is for the top fill bladder. See what you can do with FF in terms of getting the other bladder/fill plate. If nothing I would try to sell them in the claasifieds or run the side fill then convert to top fill when req'd.

Joe

Thanks, Joe.
    But I wasn't quite sure what you meant by the above sentence in terms of interacting with FF. I guess side-fill parts are included in the Challenge car kit, but am under the impression that FFR no longer handles fuel cells or related equipment.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you are going to use a fuel cell you need FFR part number 15469 "fuel cell cage components". It is a bolt in addition that allows you to properly support the fuel cell. It is bolt in so it is something that could be added later if you are already using a traditional mustang gas tank. I purchased the fuel cell cage for my new coupe but not sure if I am going to start with a fuel cell or just a tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's very helpful - I would have assumed that the chassis comes set up to accept the spec'd fuel cell, since most if not all applications of the Challenge car kit would require it. I'll call and amend my order asap.

Many thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I assumed that a fuel cell came with the Challenge car. If they don't, then I'd go with the top from the start.
    FFR Spec Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    No, they don't provide one. Fuel Safe's top fill model SM 122A-A is about $1500-1700 from Racer Parts wholesale (msrp about $2400) as far as I can determine. I think FFR decided a while back to get out of he fuel cell business. In one post, Dave cited the cost of stocking these relatively slow-moving items. I will go ahead with the top fill, Joe; thanks for your insight.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    JG, has an alternative to the Fuel Safe one that is an exact fit. I can't check it now, but I can when I get home. It's an ATL model
    2012 NASA-SE FFR Champion
    2011 NASA-SE FFR Champion
    Race page - http://www.mh-motorsports.com/race.shtml
    Team Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/MH-Mot...s/264814350042

Post Thanks / Like
    OK; thanks, Marty

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry,
    The part number was just the same. ATL now owns Fuel safe.
    Here are the cells on HPR

Part Number:FS-SM122A-AFF

http://www.hrpworld.com/store/defaul...container.html
    2012 NASA-SE FFR Champion
    2011 NASA-SE FFR Champion
    Race page - http://www.mh-motorsports.com/race.shtml
    Team Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/MH-Mot...s/264814350042

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Marty

Post Thanks / Like
    You can get this one too, cheaper.

http://www.harmonracingcells.com/sto...-_CURB22B.html
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Look like nice cells. Thanks, John

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bill,
    Have you done any more research or made a purchase? Wondering what you might have found out? Thanks for any update

Post Thanks / Like
    The info contained in post #9 above is pretty much where I am with this, ricobrafan. Racer's Parts has the best price. I called and spoke with them to verify that the part # above is the complete cell assembly, and it is. I will probably go with this one. Will probably order in the next week or so. I'm being contacted by FFR right now for final payment.