Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What would you do differently?

Post Thanks / Like

What would you do differently?

I hope I'm not wearing you guys out with all my questions; I appreciate everyone's input very much.

Here's my latest one: I am getting ready to start construction on my MkIV Challenge-configuration car (expect to get it sometime in mid-June), and will build toward an ST2 standard. What got me thinking about the topic referenced in the title was the desire to look ahead to optimizing the build as though I had the benefit of hindsight. One simple question which occurred to me was what my final dash layout should be - i.e., what gauges apart from the ones included in the package would an experienced racer want to have installed? It would be a pain to remove the dash, covering, etc. to redo all that. But, applying this more broadly, I thought I would ask you guys this general question: for those of you that run in the Challenge car series or in ST1/ST2/ST3, or in any other class, what would you do differently if you were building your car again? Also of value would be comments about what did you do to depart from the norm that you are glad you did??

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditch the gauges and get yourself a datalooger dash like this: http://racepak.com/Loggers/IQ3.php

I know it is pricey but it gives you gps based lap times, predictive lap, shift lights, and you can have 4 warning messages for low oil press, high water, etc.. purchase the sensors too (make sure to have at least oil pressure, water temp, and fuel pressure.)

Data logger and especially the predictive lap is what made me fast and consistent!
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm a data guy by nature, so I am biased. I would agree with John on that one. I used data to back up a new exercise regime, and I got huge benefits. I use a data logger in a simulator (iracing), and again I had huge gains. Data is great to have and with the tools available, you don't have to be a genius to see where you can benefit the most.

(Note - I haven't built an all out race car, but I wouldn't build one without data capture if I was in any way serious).

Martin
    Previous forum name was "Fezzek"

Post Thanks / Like
    Ya, I wish I had data.

I didn't build mine, but I wish it had a fuel pressure gauge on the dash and a bar that runs the width of the fuel cell and about as low to be used as a "bumper" and as a rear only jacking point.
    FFR Spec Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Great suggestions, guys. The data aquisition advantages of the data logger are undeniable. But in my brief exposure to them, I have found the digital gauge functions difficult to see. Is that a problem while on the track? I was thinking about installing the regular gauges and then a data logger like the Racepak. I wonder if that will present some logistical problems relative to the sending units?

I'll install my fuel cell in my chassis when it gets here and have a look at the placement of the bar you suggest, avgjoe.

Thanks

I hope everyone will keep 'em coming.

Post Thanks / Like
    The modern screens are anti-glare and bright so no real visibility issues.

The ones I would recommend are:

RacePak that John Mentioned

Motec

AIM

You are lucky in your location. One the best Data guys in the world doesn't live that far from you. Peter Krause provides data systems and data coaching to some of the best driver around.

http://www.peterkrause.net/Krause_%2...C/Welcome.html
    2012 NASA-SE FFR Champion
    2011 NASA-SE FFR Champion
    Race page - http://www.mh-motorsports.com/race.shtml
    Team Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/MH-Mot...s/264814350042

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Marty; I have been in touch with Peter Krause and he is sending me some info. Appreciate the contact.

Bill