Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Steering Column Bracket

Post Thanks / Like

Steering Column Bracket

Found an old post (2+yrs) that mentioned the production and sale of a steering column bracket that adds more room. I am 6'2" and would like to get the wheel further away from me for the build. I tried to pm "rori" regarding his custom part but suspect he may be out enjoying his 818. If anyone knows of any suggestions or aftermarket solutions I would appreciate the input. Thanks!
    The referenced post: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Column-Spacers

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure he is even making them anymore. I had one on my car and it worked great. Don't think you will find an aftermarket equivalent piece.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    You could always make one. Took me about 30 mins. Just bought some aluminum and went to town.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    You could always make one. Took me about 30 mins. Just bought some aluminum and went to town.
    You got pics?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 6'3" with the same problem. I bought that column spacer and compressed my steering column 2.25 inches, which helped lot. But, the steering wheel was still too low for me so I removed the 1/2" thick spacer and made my own from thinner steel plate, which raised the steering wheel so I could see the dash gauges. Now this aluminum column spacer is in my scrap box so if you PM your mailing address I'll send it to you.
    column spacer, alum.jpg

For others with the same problem: The piece I made is simply a flat plate with 4 holes. This aluminum piece has slots so it would fit many columns but once you compress your steering column about 2 -2.5 inches, you won't need slots but just 4 holes - 2 holes to match your steering column and 2 holes to match the chassis mount holes. I'm using the Factory Five leather steering wheel but this would be the same for the donor wheel or others.
    Last edited by AZPete; 05-14-2016 at 10:47 AM. Reason: photo added
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).