Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The Porsche 996 gearbox option for GTM

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

The Porsche 996 gearbox option for GTM

Hey there everyone,

So I realize that not everyone's budget can accommodate the Graziano gearbox options that are now available, so I thought it would be helpful to take a look at the Porsche 996 gearbox options.

The 996 gearbox has shown itself to be quite capable, and able to handle 650 hp and 550 ft-lbs or more without issue. There are a couple of different directions that you can go with.

The first would be the stock gearing ratios which are a bit short, but still quite drivable.

G96.01 stock ratios look like this

final drive 3.44
    1st gear 3.818
    2nd gear 2.2
    3rd gear 1.516
    4th gear 1.216
    5th gear 1.024
    6th gear 0.84

The second option would be to install a taller 3.0 ring and pinion which does add some cost but does also lengthen the gearbox ratios quite a bit as well.

Here is what you are looking at for your cost options.

$4600.00 New Factory Reman unit from Getrag (all new internals, only the case is reused.)
    $2290.00 New OS Giken LSD (one of the very best on the market)
    $1800.00 Adapter plate and flywheel
    $200.00 Clutch release components
    $220.00 New Slave Cylinder
    $400.00 Gear reduction starter
    $1250.00 Spec Stage II clutch kit
    $795.00 Cable shift assy
    $120.00 bolt kit

$11,675.00 Total plus shipping.

Now those of you who anticipate long drives at 80 mph, who do not want to be revving at 3000 rpm, there is a option to install a 3.0 ring and pinion into this gearbox. It is not cheap, but it will reduce your rpm's at 80 to 2500.

Cost on the 3.0 ring and pinion installed is $4000.00

I have actual gearing charts that I will be happy to email out to you if you would like them. They do not seem to load well here for some reason.

Happy to help, and please let me know what you think of this option.

Erik Johnson
    The Race Line
    (720) 899-6005 phone

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Erik,

I wanted to respond back to your post, simply to say thank you for doing your best to bring this community of builders the best quality options for transaxle solutions, that will fit into our budgets.

I think sometimes we lose sight of the good things that people try to do FOR other people. Are you trying to make a little profit as well? Of course. That's why you're in business. But I don't feel that you're trying to make it all on one sale, and that's key.

I know that our transactions together have been good, and I will certainly be calling when I need another transaxle, (which may not be that far away).

Take care, buddy. And thanks again.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 05-17-2016 at 05:13 PM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike,

I appreciate the kind words, I look forward to working with you again, soon.

Erik

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to complement about how painless Erik has made my build. He suggested the 996/01 transaxle for my build, and had it all set up for my build. Before I bought anything he spent a lot time with me to make sure I was getting everything I wanted/needed. I learned a lot from him along the way. It wasn't just about a sale for him. You don't get that kind of support today. After I purchased my transaxle set-up from Erik he has been there for everyone of my questions along the way. I wish there were more companies like his for my build. Thanks Erik