Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: P0453 code

Post Thanks / Like

P0453 code

Code P0463 - evap emission control system pressure sensor high input. With a Boyd tank I have no pressure sensor, just the 3 wires to R47 from the ECM. Is there a way to fool the computer by adding resistors? Or, what else can I do to deactivate the code?
    I was able to solve P0447 and P1400 codes by wiring in 50-ohm resistors, but I don't know how to subvert this code.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    With RomRaider you can force the ECU to ignore that code, or any code, that might come up.
    Fast Cars, Fast Women, Fast Haircuts!

Post Thanks / Like
    The 3 wires on the fuel pressure connector (R47) are +5V, Ground, Signal. You can use a multimeter to figure out which are the ground and 5V wires. The ECU wants to see a certain (0 to 5V) voltage from the signal wire as the pressure in the fuel tank changes but I'm not sure what that is. There is a way to wire up some resistors such that it will produce a particular voltage based on the chosen resistances but I haven't tried this out yet for myself. Hopefully an EE will chime in.

In fact, I've been meaning to wire up this exact circuit to log my oil temp sensor (thermistor) by using one of the ECU signal wires such as the fuel pressure signal or TGV angle signals (all 0-5V). Here's a tutorial I found that may help:
    https://learn.adafruit.com/thermisto...g-a-thermistor

Another totally different solution is to buy a Tactrix 2.0 cable and disable any code you want using Rom Raider. This is the route I took.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not as experienced with this stuff as I know you two guys are, and I get lost on some of your posts, so I'm scared to go the RomRaider/Tactrix cable route. I've been reading about RomRaider and saw the part about for "experienced tuners only", and then struggled to understand a lot of the stuff. I called Cobb asking about this and found that their AccessPort won't deactivate the P0453 but a tuner shop could do it . . . ($?).

BTW, I'm impressed that the tech at Cobb recommended iWire and said they have worked well together. Iwire came along too late for my early build (#25) so I painstakingly dieted the donor spaghetti pot into a somewhat smaller rat's nest.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's strange..... I have deactivated it with my AP.

You need to download accesstuner race. From within there, you can disable any and all codes. It works great.
    Last edited by Hindsight; 05-19-2016 at 01:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pete, don't be intimidated by Rom Raider. I knew nothing about it but found it very easy to download my ECU ROM, disable codes and reflash. If you already have an AP I'd look further into that but if that doesn't work, the Tactrix/ROM Raider approach is very affordable and I'm sure you'll find lots of support here.

Post Thanks / Like
    I get ya with RomRaider. You can really **** your motor up with that software. Many an inexperienced Subaru owner has downloaded it and tried to "tune" their car only to blow their motors. Usually because they just grab the boost table, dial it up to something stupid like 26 psi, reflash, and hope. Two pulls later: POP. They don't take any time to understand what a motor wants and what the ECU is trying to do. They just want more boost.

Now if you want to just ignore CEL P0453 for a part that you don't even have on the motor, you can easily copy your ECU's map into RomRaider. Tell it to ignore that one code, and reflash it back. Easy peazy.

Just don't go full-retard and start ignoring stuff like: P0300 (Multiple Cylinder Misfire), P0301 (Cylinder 1 Misfire),P0302 (Cylinder 2 Misfire), P0303 (Cylinder 3 Misfire), P0304 (Cylinder 4 Misfire), P0171 (System Too Lean), or P0172 (System Too Rich).
    Fast Cars, Fast Women, Fast Haircuts!

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    That's strange..... I have deactivated it with my AP.

You need to download accesstuner race. From within there, you can disable any and all codes. It works great.
    not true, some codes can't be deleted with the accessport race software, my problem is the fuel temp sensor

Sent: Monday, October 26, 2015 6:16 PM
    To: Dan
    Subject: [COBB Support] Re: Codes popping up after deletion

##- Please type your reply above this line -##
    Your request (#90208) has been updated. Reply to this email or click the link below:
    http://cobbtuning.zendesk.com/hc/requests/90208

Michael Se Michael Sessions (COBB Support)

Oct 26, 5:16 PM

Hey there Dan

Sorry for the wait, again! I've asked the Subaru guys and the issue is just that with the 2.0 liter motors where those codes cannot be permanently hidden. The car will not experience a limp mode or any other symptom of the code, but the codes themselves will persist. I wish I had a better answer for you, but please let me know if you have any other questions about that and I'd be happy to help!

Cheers!

Thank you,
    Michael Sessions
    ph: 866-922-3059

web | blog | facebook | twitter | youtube
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting Dan - looks like that's a case for the 2.0 motors. I haven't come across a code on my 2.5 that I couldn't disable. Pete has a 2.5 as well so I would imagine he has the same ECU as I do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes this is an issue with the generation that I have, it doesn't cause a performance issue.
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Yes this is an issue with the generation that I have, it doesn't cause a performance issue.
    Dan, if the CEL is always on, how will you know if there isn't a new problem?
    I used my Tank temp sensor. If I were you I would replace it with a resistor. That way the CEL would work for all the other issues.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm watching all replies carefully until I can decide what to do. Very interesting and educational. Re the tank temp sensor, I duct-taped my sensor to the side of my Boyd tank and I haven't had any CEL about it. Thanks, Dan and others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, I dug out and connected the sensor, taped to the side of the tank
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Tank temp sensor

Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Bob, I dug out and connected the sensor, taped to the side of the tank
    I had a block of aluminum welded to the bottom of the tank and the sensor slides down into it. See bottom left side of the tank picture took about ten minutes!
    image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian from iWire sent me pins and directions, I added the pins to the connector, connected the sensor and racer taped the sensor to the outside of the fuel tank, no more CEL and another tidbit for Brian to incorporate into his harnesses
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    1.5V is usually FTP sensor voltage at 14.7psia

The trouble is that once you get a solid voltage, it won't change with no purge and vent valve, so your evap self diagnosis will fail, likely with a p0440.
    818C | Kit delivery: 3/19/16 | Status: Powertrain installed
    Daily: 2014 CTS-V - Fat and slow