Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: First build need tips Ordering base kit and picking options from you experienced guys

Post Thanks / Like

First build need tips Ordering base kit and picking options from you experienced guys

Hello all I plan to make my order real soon as factory five is having the 50/50 sale for option stuff. I plan to buy the base kit and just add the goodies needed.

1 - What are the main options I should add in a base or complete kit

2- What are the options I should add on just to take advantage of the 50/50 sale

3- I already have a 8.8 3.55 rear end with a auburn diff off a 1990 fox body I bought locally. Which rear end option should I choose? regular oem 4 link or upgraded 4 link? The upgraded 3 link is an option also but which one is the best bang for the buck or should I just order the best one now to get it over with the first time

4- I plan to use a LS1/t56. Should I order the "Roadster Coyote Installation Kit and header" or should I just order the regular J-pipes: 87-95 Mustang 5.0l donor and build off that.

5- Would the fox body lsx mount kits you can find online work in my ls1 mounting situation?

I'm trying to be stay low in budget as possible for now. If I can get away with just the most basic realistic setup to order to get on the road and just upgrade as later I could do that also.

Parts I already have
    -1990 fox body 8.8 rear end complete
    -complete ls1/t56 from a 2001 ss camaro "Complete as I pretty much have a complete drive able wrecked donor in my garage"

Thanks everyone. I did search some builds thread so I have some options written on my note book of build plan but I pretty much made this Thread to get everyone's knowledgeable input and tips as This is my first build. I have modded many built high horse power ls1 cars and 1000+ hp 2jzgte supras in my garage just never really built a car from ZERO before.

thanks everyone
    CHEERS!

Anyone from California "Bay Area" with a roadster maybe I can seevor take me on a drive? I have a 2011 bmw m3 e92 daily driven 700hp supercharged you can take on a test drive also as a return of the favor! lol
    Last edited by 2jzinsider; 05-22-2016 at 07:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If your on a budget, upgraded 4 link is a good start, wipers, heater, wind wings, sunvisors, powder coat and wheels. If money is no concern, then the list changes! Congrats and have fun

Post Thanks / Like
    3. go w/ the 3 link. It is very well worth the $.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2jzinsider View Post
    4- I plan to use a LS1/t56. Should I order the "Roadster Coyote Installation Kit and header" or should I just order the regular J-pipes: 87-95 Mustang 5.0l donor and build off that.

5- Would the fox body lsx mount kits you can find online work in my ls1 mounting situation?
    4) Coyote installation kit won't provide you any benefits that I'm aware of, and will add unneeded cost. For an LS-based exhaust you have a couple options. 100% custom by a fabrication shop, if you have fab/welding skills you can buy the DIY header kits that come with all the necessary U/J bends and make them yourself, or lastly you can get a set Ford 302-based headers and modify them. The LS and 302 share port spacing, just different port shaping. Cut off the stock flange, weld on a new(thick) LS flange and you should be good. Might have to play with side-pipe lineup a little based on LS vs 302 deck height, but it would be easier than a complete custom job.

5) Get the 4.6 mod motor mounts and either buy or make a simple adapter plate for the LS engine similar to this:
    yhst-37354654005614_2269_12524329.jpg

-TJ

Tech Support, FFR Courtnie Provencher's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Glad to hear of your interest in the Factory Five cars! I saw the set up you are going with and just wanted to let you know that we don't have support for an LS in the MK4 roadster. There's going to be a decent amount of fabricating you will have to do on your own. This includes figuring out exhaust, engine mounts, potential driveshaft, etc. I just wanted to let you know all of this before you get in too deep and realize not everything is going to work. If you have further questions shoot me an email: [email protected] -- I am more than happy to help you out!
    Courtnie Provencher
    Factory Five Tech Sales & Support

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you come over to the dark side, then you are on your own; however, the Factory Five Tech Team will still help you on issues that are NOT related to an off beat power plant choice. Also, I'd suggest if possible to order the complete kit because it is just easier to deal with all new parts.

Chevrolet does make a couple of LS engines that are carbureted and one that has a front drive distributor, but again you will be on your own to make everything fit and work.

I'm doing a 383-SBC with ZF 6-Speed and while my build is exactly what I want, a fair amount if re-engineering was required. The good news is the LS engine doesn't take up a lot of real estate and make big power plus you don't have to move the engine forward to clear a distributor.

Good Luck!

PS: Well Said Miss Courtnie!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-23-2016 at 02:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, another chevy guy. I am planning a similar build in the future. I will watching your progress. Lots of pics please.
    thanks ck

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rcflash View Post
    Awesome, another chevy guy. I am planning a similar build in the future. I will watching your progress. Lots of pics please.
    thanks ck
    If you decide to do a Small Block Chevy build, then take a look at Randy's GPSCONNECTION.COM website. (Randy Jones / Forum Site Administrator)
    I used his engine mount dimensions for my MK-4 and they were pretty darn close even though his car is a MK-3.
    The mounts came from Speedway Motors and we lined up the two center exhaust ports to be in line with where the side pipe openings are.
    Shoenfield IMCA Headers Are Easily Adapted if the engine is moved this far forward.
    Just understand that this does move the center of gravity a bit further forward so the car is now right at a 50/50 distribution.
    The Corvette ZF-6 Speed also needs room made to clear the slave cylinder and this transmission adds about 60-70 pounds to the drive line over a TKO-600.
    It is a real pig of a transmission so you may want to use a TKO unit since it is lighter and a lot smaller.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-25-2016 at 10:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Contact "sk8runeg" on the other forum with your LS powered roadster questions:

Good luck!
    Jeff