Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wagon Vs Sedan Brakes

Post Thanks / Like

Wagon Vs Sedan Brakes

So I have a strong suspicion that I was sent knuckles and caliper mounting backing plates off of a wagon and not a sedan. Is there a known measurement for the caliper mounting holes on the front knuckles and the rear mounting plate that I can check to verify before I buy calipers?
    818-S 2.5L Turbo Chassis Number: 404
    Kit Order Date: February 19, 2016 Kit Completion Date: March 19, 2016 Kit Ship Date: March 26, 2016 Build Start Date: April 22, 2016
    Build Thread: Click Here

Post Thanks / Like
    i dont believe there is a difference. just the lower control arm is different.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't believe there is a difference between wagon and sedan, but the 2006 and 2007 with 4 pot fronts and 2 pot rears are different from the rest
    from nasioc on swapping
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1529797

Post Thanks / Like
    I have single pot rears and two pot fronts as far as parts go. I also have two sets of backing plates for the rears. Each set has a different mounting distance which is where th confusion is setting in. I don't want to order the wrong calipers for the backing plates I used on the car. I was thinking about buying this set:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....432598&jsn=426
    Kit Order Date: February 19, 2016 Kit Completion Date: March 19, 2016 Kit Ship Date: March 26, 2016 Build Start Date: April 22, 2016

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidworks-Mike View Post
    I have single pot rears and two pot fronts as far as parts go. I also have two sets of backing plates for the rears. Each set has a different mounting distance which is where th confusion is setting in. I don't want to order the wrong calipers for the backing plates I used on the car. I was thinking about buying this set:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....432598&jsn=426
    The rear backing plates are the only real difference on any of the year models from 02-07, wagon or sedan. Now, the STI's are a different ballgame. 02-05 have the same backings plates and 06-07 have a difference size, I scrapped my old ones, so I can't measure those.

I bought an '03 donor and I couldn't live without the 06-07 4/2 pot setup. The only thing I had to change were the rear backing plates (which I just measured and they were 113mm from center of each mounting bolt). The 4 pots from 06 and 03 front calipers will both mount onto the front, which measure 153mm from center of each bolts. The one major difference between the 02-05 and the 06-07 2/4 pot setup is the 07-07 calipers mount directly to the spindle or mounting plate. The 02-05 calipers mount to the caliper slide/mounting bracket.

If you are looking at upgrading brakes the cheapest route is the "H6" brake upgrade, which will have some slightly larger rotors off a legacy (anything over 16" wheels should fit). If you want a new 4/2 pot setup from RockAuto, I got new calipers, rotors, pads, stainless lines, and hardware for right at $1000.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NevaLift2Shift View Post
    The rear backing plates are the only real difference on any of the year models from 02-07, wagon or sedan. Now, the STI's are a different ballgame. 02-05 have the same backings plates and 06-07 have a difference size, I scrapped my old ones, so I can't measure those.

I bought an '03 donor and I couldn't live without the 06-07 4/2 pot setup. The only thing I had to change were the rear backing plates (which I just measured and they were 113mm from center of each mounting bolt). The 4 pots from 06 and 03 front calipers will both mount onto the front, which measure 153mm from center of each bolts. The one major difference between the 02-05 and the 06-07 2/4 pot setup is the 07-07 calipers mount directly to the spindle or mounting plate. The 02-05 calipers mount to the caliper slide/mounting bracket.

If you are looking at upgrading brakes the cheapest route is the "H6" brake upgrade, which will have some slightly larger rotors off a legacy (anything over 16" wheels should fit). If you want a new 4/2 pot setup from RockAuto, I got new calipers, rotors, pads, stainless lines, and hardware for right at $1000.
    Do you have a link to what you bought? I can't find any 4/2 setups on Rock Auto.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    are you looking for OEM brake stuff? I'm pretty sure I still have 4 calipers off an 03 in great shape from the land of salt free Oregon. If you are interested I will look for them.

Do you have a link to what you bought? I can't find any 4/2 setups on Rock Auto.

just put in 07 WRX and it should be the good stuff. you will see the price jump from the 05 stuff.

It helps to sing the RockAuto song.

CENTRIC 14247526
    Rear Left; WRX Model
    $162.79

CENTRIC 14247525
    Rear Right; WRX Model
    $162.79

CENTRIC 14247044
    Front Left; WRX Model
    $254.79

CENTRIC 14247043
    Front Right; WRX Model
    $254.79
    Last edited by longislandwrx; 05-25-2016 at 06:38 AM.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the idea of using the biggest and best OEM brakes available in the rear to provide the best combination of stopping ability, brake balance, and plenty of inexpensive replacement parts. Getting back to the brake balance, would the 818 work better with the 07 Rear brakes and the 05 front brakes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    are you looking for OEM brake stuff? I'm pretty sure I still have 4 calipers off an 03 in great shape from the land of salt free Oregon. If you are interested I will look for them.

just put in 07 WRX and it should be the good stuff. you will see the price jump from the 05 stuff.

It helps to sing the RockAuto song.

CENTRIC 14247526
    Rear Left; WRX Model
    $162.79

CENTRIC 14247525
    Rear Right; WRX Model
    $162.79

CENTRIC 14247044
    Front Left; WRX Model
    $254.79

CENTRIC 14247043
    Front Right; WRX Model
    $254.79

^^^^
    Exactly those, plus I added some Centric (StopTech) stainless lines and the Raybestos "Advanced Technology" Coated Rotors at another $200.

Quote Originally Posted by UnhipPopano View Post
    I like the idea of using the biggest and best OEM brakes available in the rear to provide the best combination of stopping ability, brake balance, and plenty of inexpensive replacement parts. Getting back to the brake balance, would the 818 work better with the 07 Rear brakes and the 05 front brakes?
    I think without a brake balance controller that comes with the kit, it would be a better natural balance. But, I plan on balancing the brake bias with the controller. Another reason I really wanted the 2 pots in the rear is the extra weight you have on the rear axle compared to the WRX. OEM is hard to beat, plus with the 4/2 pot setup, some good rotors and pads, you will be working hard to push those brakes past the limits on a car this light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    I have a set of OEM's, but they need to be completely rebuilt which isn't much cheaper then just buying a rebuilt set thats been painted all nice and shiny!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by UnhipPopano View Post
    most probably yes since the weight is moved rearward requiring more rear brake capacity to achieve balance, that's what the bias adjuster does it reduces the clamping force of the front to achieve more rearward bias
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Rockauto looses stock on them really fast! You have to sign up for the notification system that tells you when they are back in stock. I checked daily took about 2 months tell they finally had something in stock that I could order. The problem is we all buy them and never send a core so basically stuck waiting tell they get another batch made. I am sure a batch is not made tell they hit X amount of cores. The 06/07 cars are only getting older and less common....

You can find brand new OEM fronts for about the same price as rockauto. The rears however are a lot more then OEM rear calipers. I really didn't want mine to say Subaru so I waited.
    Last edited by redfogo; 05-25-2016 at 03:31 PM.