FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Engine Bay Firewall Aluminum

Post Thanks / Like

Engine Bay Firewall Aluminum

Hi-

I've been reading and (slowly) building over the past year or so. This is my first build like this and the forum has been invaluable.

I've seen where several folks have made their own rear firewall (attaching to the tubing just in front of the engine). I like the idea and am looking to duplicate it.

Does anyone have a dimensioned sketch of this area with cut-outs for the suspension mounting bits? If no one's done one, I'll take a crack at it in Sketchup and post it, but if I can borrow what's already done....one less thing for the "to-do" list.

I'm wanting to get the shape cnc plasma cut and installed before I try to drop the engine in this weekend.

Thanks!

--Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you just going to the edge of the frame or are you also going to extend out to the side sails? If the partition only goes to the frame, it will only be cosmetic and at best help keep the gas tank, cables and wires a little cleaner. Also, if you extend to the side sails, what is your strategy to vent the fuel area to prevent the vapors from reaching an explosive level of concentration?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can put it in front of the frame, or behind the frame. I put mine behind the frame - looks cleaner. No template sorry. I just used cardboard to get the shape right, then transferred it to aluminum. It's 4 pieces in total and secured with self-tapping sheet metal screws so it can be removed if needed (thought it would be a pain).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    You can put it in front of the frame, or behind the frame. I put mine behind the frame - looks cleaner. No template sorry. I just used cardboard to get the shape right, then transferred it to aluminum. It's 4 pieces in total and secured with self-tapping sheet metal screws so it can be removed if needed (thought it would be a pain).
    Do you have any pictures of what you did? I'm also interested in doing this.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by UnhipPopano View Post
    Are you just going to the edge of the frame or are you also going to extend out to the side sails? If the partition only goes to the frame, it will only be cosmetic and at best help keep the gas tank, cables and wires a little cleaner. Also, if you extend to the side sails, what is your strategy to vent the fuel area to prevent the vapors from reaching an explosive level of concentration?
    I was just planning on going to the frame rails - similar to what Hindsight did, but attempting 1 piece, it if will install. I'm seriously rethinking the single piece approach now though. I'll take a closer look tonight and draw it up in Sketchup in case it's useful for others.

--Will

Post Thanks / Like
    I can email you my inventor assembly if you like.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    The reason I went with a multipiece setup is that a single piece will be difficult if not impossible to remove with the engine in place. With all the engine support braces in the way, it might even be a challenge to install a one-piece firewall with the engine removed... might have to flex it quite a bit to get it in there, or make compromises on how much of the area it completely covers.
    Last edited by Hindsight; 05-25-2016 at 01:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    The reason I went with a multipiece setup is that a single piece will difficult if not impossible to remove with the engine in place. With all the engine support braces in the way, it might even be a challenge to install a one-piece firewall with the engine removed... might have to flex it quite a bit to get it in there, or make compromises on how much of the area it completely covers.
    Agreed.

So there is also the choice to attach the firewall on the engine side or on the cockpit side, I chose the cockpit side.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Firewall.JPG
    I went with 3 pieces with the center triangle bolted in to allow access to the front of the engine.